Should this new guy buy this '85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowfidelity

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just make sure they didn't hack everything up doing the swap, i.e., wiring, cross members. It looks like a pretty solid, straight truck, offer him $3,800
Well I can tell the AC wasn’t reconnected, not sure that’s a deal breaker though. I wonder if it’s possible to adapt to that motor.

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I can tell the AC wasn’t reconnected, not sure that’s a deal breaker though. I wonder if it’s possible to adapter to that motor.
Yes it is. There are 2 Cad 500 places that have a lot of parts for conversions. Not sure how familiar you are with Cad 472/500 but they make tons of torque and you can run a much higher gear for highway mpg's. Cadillacs goal was to be the smoothest running engine and this was the last of the engines designed for that purpose.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You are going to find all kinds of surprises, and seriously buying a pig at a poke.You do know you're going to be buying several hundred dollars worth of tires immediately, and a battery. You can't hear it run,you can't verify that a fuel pump will fix it,until after you buy it,you can't drive it so who knows what the drive trains like,and who knows what kind of job was done installing everything. You know I sound very negative,but be prepared,it may be an easy deal it may be lots of work and a money pit. Just looking at the pics,how come 2 mechanics couldn't get an AC compressor on there and plumbed,but even more concerning is how come 2 mechanics couldn't plumb the pcv correctly or at least put a filter on the oil cap to keep dirt out of the engine.

lowfidelity

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You are going to find all kinds of surprises, and seriously buying a pig at a poke.You do know you're going to be buying several hundred dollars worth of tires immediately, and a battery. You can't hear it run,you can't verify that a fuel pump will fix it,until after you buy it,you can't drive it so who knows what the drive trains like,and who knows what kind of job was done installing everything. You know I sound very negative,but be prepared,it may be an easy deal it may be lots of work and a money pit. Just looking at the pics,how come 2 mechanics couldn't get an AC compressor on there and plumbed,but even more concerning is how come 2 mechanics couldn't plumb the pcv correctly or at least put a filter on the oil cap to keep dirt out of the engine.
All fair points and a good reality check. I'm guesstimating another $3-4K to get it running & stopping well.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
All fair points and a good reality check. I'm guesstimating another $3-4K to get it running & stopping well.
And you will probably really love the truck when your driving and using it. Worth it for a timeless classic IMO.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Hey all, new guy here, very new to square bodys. I've been eyeing my neighbors truck since I first saw it and he's thinking about parting with it. Second owner, first was a transmission mechanic, second (himself) was a general mechanic but he's got a bad back. Sounds like it's been sitting for awhile but he says will crank with some gas in the intake. He says the motor is a 500 from a caddy. Previous owner converted it to 2 barrel for unknown reasons. That's all I know other than the fact is looks clean. He said it needs knows it needs a fuel pump and rear brakes when last he checked. Only major rust I've found is drivers side rear cab corner. Tag on door says 16/85, so we assume 1985. What do y'all think? If I go in on this project, what should I expect? I'm not looking for a show truck, just a farm truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

With that Motor and Hood ornament… it’s now a Sildorado

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Cool!, I see two tons of fun, about 15k when yer' done, got a place to put it inside after serious hose n soap?
Like what ^they said, it can all be done, ain't easy. Is your back Really strong?
Got one of those over the fender up in the air creeper hoverboard things?
And toss the flex fan before finding out why...especially around your significant other, kids, dogs, friends, or your face n fingers.
Welcome to Wonderland, remember to have fun.

lowfidelity

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool!, I see two tons of fun, about 15k when yer' done, got a place to put it inside after serious hose n soap?
Yeah, thats not a problem
Like what ^they said, it can all be done, ain't easy. Is your back Really strong?
Got one of those over the fender up in the air creeper hoverboard things?
And toss the flex fan before finding out why...especially around your significant other, kids, dogs, friends, or your face n fingers.
I'm by no means a mechanic but I can youtube fix 'er up with the best of them. Yesterday I think I was 90% in. Today I'm like 10% in. I have a lot of commitments (5 year old, property to maintain, normal job that pays the bills) and plenty of things to do, I'm worried it will sit for years before I get 'er going. If I had a trusted mechanic that could confidently tell me it'll run/drive/stop for an additional $3-5K, I think I'd pull the trigger and just fix up the cosmetic stuff over time.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like a solid base for a builder truck.
But to add to @Ricko1966 comments, you need to be prepared to work on it or be prepared to pay a lot of money for someone else to.
It’s the proverbial totally unknown. And you would need to be a decent shadetree wrench to do the work to it yourself.
It’s not like someone is buying it tomorrow. And it’s your neighbor. Dude may just be too old to do any thing to it or it may be a mess.
I’d suggest getting a fuel pump, battery and a can of gas and make the sale contingent on whether it’s a running driving drivetrain. Seems you could spend a couple hours with the old man telling you what to do to get it to light off and drive around. If he’s not willing to do that then he may be lying about its mechanical condition.
beyond that, bodywork and cosmetics and interior and paint are $1000s of dollars. or $10k.
As a non running neglected beater, even though its a pretty straight K20, its a $4-5k truck in that condition only if its running and driving well.
Also, those trucks are nowhere near being rare, if you're down south or out west. Id be in the $2500 camp IF i could get it running and driving first.
As it sits, nit even that much. Unless Im missing something.
Also, "mechanic owned" doesn't mean squat. it actually means less IMO because any half assed real mechanic could have it running, driving and presentable if they wanted real money for it. Unless hes hiding something…

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a lot of commitments (5 year old, property to maintain, normal job that pays the bills) and plenty of things to do, I'm worried it will sit for years before I get 'er going. If I had a trusted mechanic that could confidently tell me it'll run/drive/stop for an additional $3-5K, I think I'd pull the trigger and just fix up the cosmetic stuff over time.
Hmm, since he wants you to tow away his junk, and two mech's didn't make it right?, mech wise, (no offense) your not at the pro level, then "finding a good mech" is a Very Pricey $20k hit with lots of "swing and a miss".

So...by the time your done, and it will have problems due to weird swap stuff you can already "See" and probably a Lot you can't.
Keep in mind what Grit Dog mentioned.

For fun, look up the cost of having everything rebuilt, both axles, driveshafts, brakes, ALL the 4x stuff, the trans, the engine, the wiring, not even cosmetics, and having it done? Betcha' my 20k is low...
Well, it is a $500 boat anchor at the moment, nope, not even a grand due to the first headache, and you have much bigger things like you mentioned.

If you really need a farm truck, get one that runs, and spend time with the 5 year old, priceless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag