want to build custom intrument cluster- any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
I wanna build a custom instrument cluster for my 83 k10. looking for some ideas and maybe some "how toos" from you guys that have done it already. I wanna keep the basic setup, I just want to build it up with cool lookin auto meter gauges and replace the clock with an oil pressure gauge. Im really open to anything!

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive been thinking about how to do mine for a while. Given the shape and mass if the factory dash, I plan to machine mine out of plastic (HDPE - like cutting board material). Other options I've considered is to make a fiberglass mold using the stock dash and then modifying it to suit my needs, building the blank out of wood and then making a mold from it, or trying to do something with aluminum - either an overlay of the factory dash or compete replacement. What capabilities (equipment/tools) do you have in the shop?

Prof GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have been kicking this idea around for awhile about installing auto meter guages. This is my first post, and I thought that this is good time to ask you guys if you had considered using the factory plug that plugs into the printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster. I am wondering if anyone has used this plug with or without some kind of an adapter, because after all, it has your fuel level wires, lights, ect. already there for easy access. I like the original guages, but lets face it auto meter guages are way better, and look amazing.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like the look of AutoMeter gauges too. I'm not aware of an adapter that will work for the factory plug. On past projects I cut the factory plug off and used an aftermarket plug (like weather packs) to replace it as I still wanted the dashes to be removable. It's the easiest and cleanest ways I've found. In some cases you may not want to, or be able to, run the factory wires - like the early 70's that had amps instead of volts. The only other issue I can think of is if the factory wiring can't support the requirements of the gauges or maybe the need of a fuse.

Prof GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Yep, I was thinking about making up my own plug as well. I agree that you would want to disconnect it for access to the back side.

83burgundy

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Does any one have picturs of the dash with autometer gages in it?
I am curious on how it looks.

DREAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dreamer
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
I can't remember the the website, but there's a place that sells blank gauge cluster... No holes in it whatsoever. You can put whatever size gauges in whatever configuration.

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That blank dash is pretty nice, but expensive. I wonder, could you just fill your existing dash's holes and cut new holes?

I dont know where to get the stuff for that project, but I'll bet it would work.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Attachments

• gauge view front.jpg
    gauge view front.jpg