Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 350 SBC w/ EFI

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Keep the V6

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • something else

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I still daily drive it, im just fine tuning the bugs out of it.

The things that people would otherwise pass over.
Not to mention, a 475cfm throttle body with 12 pounds of fuel pressure, on 30 year old 64 #/hr injectors that operate at the most 60-70% efficiency hardly are enough to fuel a vortec headed motor.

Thats like letting someone breath thru a straw.

Get a 454 throttle body upgrade your pump regulator and injectors.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Slybeanx here is 1 more idea. Pulling a 5.7,radiator. and engine transmission as a unit can be done in 2 hours easy. Set them in the bed of the blue truck.Pull the ECM, tank, exhaust pieces mounts and Nick nacks. 1 day and everythings stored in the blue turd. Say good bye to the suburban, sell it haul it for scrap have it hauled away, whatever.Now you do truly have a swap that is very doable in a weekend, when the time comes.If you want to throw 1 more weekend and a couple of more bucks in the mix you can put in a small cam(small it's TBI) and headers and have a truck that really wouldn't perform to shabby.And with no fab work or even changing a fuel pump for that matter.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Get a 454 throttle body upgrade your pump regulator and injectors.

No provisions for 700r4 tv, throttle linkage is different, i would have to rewire the IAC, and namely, the 454 injectors do not support or sustain a small block very well at low rpms.

I have a sbc unit ive bored to 46mm on the mill. It will flow at 620-650 cfm. I just need a larger fuel pump and to turn my pressure to 18 psi.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
It does like to run a little dumpy if you fire it up and run it down the road immediately,(more so meaning you can tell the fuel isnt making it to the cylinders completely) but like any other responsible car owner.... my cold start morning process is no different. I stay out of the pedal until the engine is at operating temp for the sake of the cyl rings and bores.
oh okay, so it does pull out of it then? I don't care if it runs like complete ass for the first few miles, people just made it sound like a big deal. I literally don't give a **** if it's really rough at first (it's cold what do you expect...), just as long as it's not like unusable. A little rough for a few minutes is one thing, I'm not some yuppie 16 year old girl like "oh my gawd, it's not running like a brand new car!!!" it's just that people made it sound like it was hard to live with. So it still starts every time, just doesn't run optimally until warm? SOLD

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
No provisions for 700r4 tv, throttle linkage is different, i would have to rewire the IAC, and namely, the 454 injectors do not support or sustain a small block very well at low rpms.

I have a sbc unit ive bored to 46mm on the mill. It will flow at 620-650 cfm. I just need a larger fuel pump and to turn my pressure to 18 psi.

No you use the cop model 350 injectors and a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator. That's for 454 throttle body. .IDK about the bored 350 throttle body.

Even a mild build tbi needs a pump and regulator upgrade.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What do you do about the intake manifold and cold weather? The only reason I haven't swapped to vortec heads is that people have said it runs like **** with the smooth vortec intake in the cold weather because it was really designed for MPFI instead of TBI dumping right down the throat
The reason it runs bad cold is no crossover provisions for intake manifold heat.I would definitely run an air cleaner with heat provisions and a warm thermostat.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
oh okay, so it does pull out of it then? I don't care if it runs like complete ass for the first few miles, people just made it sound like a big deal. I literally don't give a **** if it's really rough at first (it's cold what do you expect...), just as long as it's not like unusable. A little rough for a few minutes is one thing, I'm not some yuppie 16 year old girl like "oh my gawd, it's not running like a brand new car!!!" it's just that people made it sound like it was hard to live with. So it still starts every time, just doesn't run optimally until warm? SOLD
That's correct sir.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
No you use the cop model 350 injectors and a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator. That's for 454 throttle body. .IDK about the bored 350 throttle body.

Even a mild build tbi needs a pump and regulator upgrade.

Vacuum reference regulator is for over 18 psi.

You can easily machine the stock regulator to make it adjustable for up to 18.

The pump will be a acdelco ep381. Direct drop in for 87-91 tbi gas tank

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
The reason it runs bad cold is no crossover provisions for intake manifold heat.I would definitely run an air cleaner with heat provisions and a warm thermostat.

To be honest i kicked my own teeth when i deleted the heat riser thats stock on the breather that pulls heat from the ex manifold.

It pulls heat from the exhaust manifold. If i hadnt have done that, it would run better.
Also. The stock thermostat factory is 180° for correct cts readings, which the cts has ALOT of say in fueling.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
To be honest i kicked my own teeth when i deleted the heat riser thats stock on the breather that pulls heat from the ex manifold.

It pulls heat from the exhaust manifold. If i hadnt have done that, it would run better.
Also. The stock thermostat factory is 180° for correct cts readings, which the cts has ALOT of say in fueling.

I think in the cold winter months he could get away with it.

I don't remember does that cts have a 5 volt reference or just straight resistance based on temp?

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
@Slybeanx here is 1 more idea. Pulling a 5.7,radiator. and engine transmission as a unit can be done in 2 hours easy. Set them in the bed of the blue truck.Pull the ECM, tank, exhaust pieces mounts and Nick nacks. 1 day and everythings stored in the blue turd. Say good bye to the suburban, sell it haul it for scrap have it hauled away, whatever.Now you do truly have a swap that is very doable in a weekend, when the time comes.If you want to throw 1 more weekend and a couple of more bucks in the mix you can put in a small cam(small it's TBI) and headers and have a truck that really wouldn't perform to shabby.And with no fab work or even changing a fuel pump for that matter.

Not a bad idea and I was considering it. Just have to find and snag a truck/ burb thats decently priced around me. Everyones parting them or selling restored burbs, there are few ones for cheap. A C1500's 350 would swap right in as well shouldnt it? a 350 TBI from the 88-93 trucks?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I think in the cold winter months he could get away with it.

I don't remember does that cts have a 5 volt reference or just straight resistance based on temp?
Resistance.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Resistance.
Here's an idea for winter months,warmer Tstat. Manipulate the CTS resistance with a variable resistor cab mounted.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Here's an idea for winter months,warmer Tstat. Manipulate the CTS resistance with a variable resistor cab mounted.

Not a bad idea

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Not a bad idea and I was considering it. Just have to find and snag a truck/ burb thats decently priced around me. Everyones parting them or selling restored burbs, there are few ones for cheap. A C1500's 350 would swap right in as well shouldnt it? a 350 TBI from the 88-93 trucks?
I was thinking square body burb. Because you know everything will be bolt for bolt. From the radiator to the heater hoses to exhaust, etc. but yes 88-93 would work just may or may not not have everything you need.Any surprise incompatible parts makes your one weekend project a 2 or more weekend project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019