Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 350 SBC w/ EFI

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Keep the V6

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • something else

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Yeah, stock figures are lame, but RELIABLE.

Weak ignition system, lame exhaust, lame fuel delivery that barely feeds the motor it sits on top of, etc.

I have my 350 all hotrodded out with vortec heads, a chip, ignition system and such, next move is to swap on the 46mm tbi i bored out and bump my fuel pressure to 18 psi. Get the most out of that 330hp the motor makes at the crank.

If you could do it over again would you go the same route or say Vortec/ SBC with a TBI EFI system

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Honestly ive never had a tbi act up... my current s10 is a 4.3L tbi and it runs great.

Same, only died on me twice from a clogged fuel filter that the PO just let sit. But I just like chasing power goals for some reason.... although I bet if I had a 5 speed in the truck id be alot happier.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you could do it over again would you go the same route or say Vortec/ SBC with a TBI EFI system
I have a vortec 350 and used to have a sniper on it. If it gets pretty cold where you are it’s not a great setup on colder mornings—or any aftermarket tbi on a vortec. There’s no exhaust crossover. My manifold would get so cold that fuel would fall out of suspension and bog the motor until properly warm. This is an issue when the air temp was 30 degrees or less.

Never had a GM tbi, so I’m not sure what the setup is on those. Vortec heads just don’t have an exhaust crossover though... they weren’t designed to have wet manifolds.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a vortec 350 and used to have a sniper on it. If it gets pretty cold where you are it’s not a great setup on colder mornings—or any aftermarket tbi on a vortec. There’s no exhaust crossover. My manifold would get so cold that fuel would fall out of suspension and bog the motor until properly warm. This is an issue when the air temp was 30 degrees or less.

Never had a GM tbi, so I’m not sure what the setup is on those. Vortec heads just don’t have an exhaust crossover though... they weren’t designed to have wet manifolds.

You have no idea how many people I've told the vortecs aren't meant to run with a wet manifold.You ever have it actually freeze iceballs at just over freezing temp on a damp day. I have its strange.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay. I just read your original post. So when you say you have 2-3 k +-1k are you saying your budget is possibly as low as 1k? If that's the case look for a 5.7 tbi suburban cheap.Sell what you don't need and sell the scrap. It will have everything you need it'll be an easy swap .and if your lucky the suburban will even have a steeper rear gear.

Seriously you'll have everything you need and them some and an easy 1 weekend project.Don't disconnect the AC compressor just tie it off in the engine compartment and you'll still have working A.C.

Last edited:

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Okay. I just read your original post. So when you say you have 2-3 k +-1k are you saying your budget is possibly as low as 1k? If that's the case look for a 5.7 tbi suburban cheap.Sell what you don't need and sell the scrap. It will have everything you need it'll be an easy swap .and if your lucky the suburban will even have a steeper rear gear.

Seriously you'll have everything you need and them some and an easy 1 weekend project.Don't disconnect the AC compressor just tie it off in the engine compartment and you'll still have working A.C.

Its more my budget is 2k min, with potential up to 4k if I free up some funds from my E30 build. I can see how thats confusing. I dont have room for another parts truck, my cars are stored at the rents and I use/ daily them only when I'm home so its a full driveway already. maybe If I take one w me to Chicago for school but thats a big IF at 300$ a month for parking lmfao.

If I could store and had the time to part something out id be LS swapping. The swap needs to be a weekend endeavor so the rents dont have a immobile blue turd in their driveway lol.

This truck was a budget buy new, no power and no AC so thats not a worry for now.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Yeah the tbi works fine in the cold, a well tuned and maintenanced system does fine. Im in nc, which the lowest temps we see is like, single digits. (Almost never sub zero)

Old girl (and others ive owned) fires up and runs fine.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It will as long as the sensors do right. I cant STAND IT when people just toss **** and swap it for a different fuel delivery or motor because something simple like a sensor dies.

Shows a true lack of intelligence.

The tbi especially. It is the simplest fuel delivery system EVER, yet the most passed over.
To keep it running literally just takes a vacuum gauge, multimeter, an ear, and a nose.

#tbilivesmatter

Wait... aren't you like 5 sensors and several months into trying to get your TBI running right?!?!?! :happy175:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah, stock figures are lame, but RELIABLE.

Weak ignition system, lame exhaust, lame fuel delivery that barely feeds the motor it sits on top of, etc.

I have my 350 all hotrodded out with vortec heads, a chip, ignition system and such, next move is to swap on the 46mm tbi i bored out and bump my fuel pressure to 18 psi. Get the most out of that 330hp the motor makes at the crank.
What do you do about the intake manifold and cold weather? The only reason I haven't swapped to vortec heads is that people have said it runs like **** with the smooth vortec intake in the cold weather because it was really designed for MPFI instead of TBI dumping right down the throat

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I vote 350 with efi @Slybeanx

Keep her classic, but reliable fuel injection.
If you have the patience, a tbi setup would be cool.

His truck Is already TBI,swap in a complete 5.7 TBI and swap the ECM. His transmission would even bolt up. Easy Peasy
The down side of not doing a parts truck is all the little stuff is gonna add up.A radiator, exhaust,mounts, etc.etc.etc.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Wait... aren't you like 5 sensors and several months into trying to get your TBI running right?!?!?! :happy175:

I still daily drive it, im just fine tuning the bugs out of it.

The things that people would otherwise pass over.
Not to mention, a 475cfm throttle body with 12 pounds of fuel pressure, on 30 year old 64 #/hr injectors that operate at the most 60-70% efficiency hardly are enough to fuel a vortec headed motor.

Thats like letting someone breath thru a straw.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
What do you do about the intake manifold and cold weather? The only reason I haven't swapped to vortec heads is that people have said it runs like **** with the smooth vortec intake in the cold weather because it was really designed for MPFI instead of TBI dumping right down the throat

It does like to run a little dumpy if you fire it up and run it down the road immediately,(more so meaning you can tell the fuel isnt making it to the cylinders completely) but like any other responsible car owner.... my cold start morning process is no different. I stay out of the pedal until the engine is at operating temp for the sake of the cyl rings and bores.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Slybeanx here is 1 more idea. Pulling a 5.7,radiator. and engine transmission as a unit can be done in 2 hours easy. Set them in the bed of the blue truck.Pull the ECM, tank, exhaust pieces mounts and Nick nacks. 1 day and everythings stored in the blue turd. Say good bye to the suburban, sell it haul it for scrap have it hauled away, whatever.Now you do truly have a swap that is very doable in a weekend, when the time comes.If you want to throw 1 more weekend and a couple of more bucks in the mix you can put in a small cam(small it's TBI) and headers and have a truck that really wouldn't perform to shabby.And with no fab work or even changing a fuel pump for that matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1