Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 350 SBC w/ EFI

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Keep the V6

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • something else

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
I have a 43k mile V6 TBI with a 700R4. The engine and trans really dont impress me. I have considered everything from turboing my V6 and running it on megasquirt to swapping in a 6.0 LS.

I just picked up V8 engine perches and have a lead on the same guy for a manual swap for 350$. I dont really have a budget, but if I ever end up selling the spare engine I was going to swap into my E30 it should be around 2-3k +/- 1k. For my budget (which is small I admit) what would be the best route to take considering all variables evenly, performance, cost, difficulty, how fast I can get it done. I am also considering manual swapping the truck but thats lower on the priority list atm.

Im not able to wrench on it much so if it goes longer then I have off school/ work I may ship it to a shop to complete. I have been eyeing up 350 SBC with a EFI conversion as the best choice rn.

What would the old engine trans be worth? couple hundred together?

Anyone local to MD have shop recommendations/ where to snag a good deal on engines/ trans?

PFA

You must be registered for see images attach

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
50,000 mile warranty. Get a flex plate, torque converter, hei, and 600-650cfm carb, and whatever front drive accessories you need if the v6 ones won’t work.

https://blueprintengines.com/produc...lock-gm-style-iron-heads-roller-cam-bp3503ct1

It a roller cammed engine with vortec heads and provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. This would double your HP and is very upgradable should you choose to do so in the future.

A decent EFI system will double your budget. I go this route if my budget was $4k or less and I didn’t have the wherewithal to manage an LS swap.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
50,000 mile warranty. Get a flex plate, torque converter, hei, and 600-650cfm carb, and whatever front drive accessories you need if the v6 ones won’t work.

https://blueprintengines.com/produc...lock-gm-style-iron-heads-roller-cam-bp3503ct1

It a roller cammed engine with vortec heads and provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. This would double your HP and is very upgradable should you choose to do so in the future.

A decent EFI system will double your budget. I go this route if my budget was $4k or less and I didn’t have the wherewithal to manage an LS swap.

Time is truly my only obstacle atm. I'd love to tackle a LS swap but I just cant have the truck down for that long in my rents driveway when im not home all that often.

I briefly considered a running 350SBC from a local guy who parts a bunch of squares, and then throwing a Holley or fi-tech EFI kit on it for a total of around 1.5k.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6

I love the idea but a long block that needs a rebuild goes for 1k around me. (I could afford it but I cant justify spending that much tbh)

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Time is truly my only obstacle atm. I'd love to tackle a LS swap but I just cant have the truck down for that long in my rents driveway when im not home all that often.

I briefly considered a running 350SBC from a local guy who parts a bunch of squares, and then throwing a Holley or fi-tech EFI kit on it for a total of around 1.5k.
Just be sure to consider all the aspects of the EFI. You need 3/8” feed and return to the tank and an in tank pump, fittings filters, wiring, etc. I personally wouldn’t bother with EFI without going all the way running timing control, etc.

If the guy who parts trucks has a good 350 you can check out before he pulls it for under $500 I’d go for it. Take a compression tester, some tools and a buddy.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I love the idea but a long block that needs a rebuild goes for 1k around me. (I could afford it but I cant justify spending that much tbh)

I say BBC because when I first got mine it had a wore out 305 in it. I asked the same thing; what do I replace it with and a lot said BBC.

I thought the same thing. I can't afford to do that. So I thought ill just upgrade the 305. So I bought intake, hedders,distributor, quadrajet level 2 and a cam. Put on new carb, intake and distributor. Made a good difference in how it ran.

My habit of shopping Facebook market place and Craigslist i came across a BBC 454 4 bolt main with intake, cam, Lt hedders, alt and PS pump with 30k miles on it for 2k. He threw in a th350 with a shift kit for $400. The other Trans in it was shot so that was a good deal for me since a rebuild would be over a thousand dollars.

Just saying for $2,400 I got a BBC and a Trans. Which was way less than I thought it would cost. Since I've put them in the truck I couldn't be happier with them! I love it now! Plenty of torque and power!

I know I found a good deal but, just keep your eyes open you never know what you can find that you might like better. Good luck.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Just be sure to consider all the aspects of the EFI. You need 3/8” feed and return to the tank and an in tank pump, fittings filters, wiring, etc. I personally wouldn’t bother with EFI without going all the way running timing control, etc.

If the guy who parts trucks has a good 350 you can check out before he pulls it for under $500 I’d go for it. Take a compression tester, some tools and a buddy.

Considering I already have TBI with the V6 shouldnt I be good in that regard? the EFI from holley seems like a TBI setup so I bet my fuel PSI should meet the requirements.
I say BBC because when I first got mine it had a wore out 305 in it. I asked the same thing; what do I replace it with and a lot said BBC.

I thought the same thing. I can't afford to do that. So I thought ill just upgrade the 305. So I bought intake, hedders,distributor, quadrajet level 2 and a cam. Put on new carb, intake and distributor. Made a good difference in how it ran.

My habit of shopping Facebook market place and Craigslist i came across a BBC 454 4 bolt main with intake, cam, Lt hedders, alt and PS pump with 30k miles on it for 2k. He threw in a th350 with a shift kit for $400. The other Trans in it was shot so that was a good deal for me since a rebuild would be over a thousand dollars.

Just saying for $2,400 I got a BBC and a Trans. Which was way less than I thought it would cost. Since I've put them in the truck I couldn't be happier with them! I love it now! Plenty of torque and power!

I know I found a good deal but, just keep your eyes open you never know what you can find that you might like better. Good luck.

If I can find a deal like that I may just pull the trigger. I guess you never know so I might as well keep looking

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Considering I already have TBI with the V6 shouldnt I be good in that regard? the EFI from holley seems like a TBI setup so I bet my fuel PSI should meet the requirements.

If I can find a deal like that I may just pull the trigger. I guess you never know so I might as well keep looking
Negative. GM tbi pumps run about 1/4 of the required pressure of an aftermarket TBI system. 13psi vs 58psi

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Its always best when its other peoples money lol. Why would I go this route vs say the fi-tech EFI conversion? about 1/3rd the price.

Mostly because it looks cool and almost nobody else has it. There is also the benefit of having factory engineering and the ability to pick up replacement parts at any parts store. But mostly because it's cool and different, lol.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Buy a straight 6 (gm of course) and hop it up big! Not many people have that!

I considered slapping in my BMW M30B35 5 speed its power figures are pretty good compared to say a 350 SBC. If I only had decent fab skills....

Theres a guy on the E30 fb page already doing a M30 powered C10 so I asked him what itd cost to replicate the mounts....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84