Unwritten rules of mouldings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
The lack of an artsy-fartsy gene in my body doesn't allow me to think of all the possibilities. I'm just happy with my straight wide black and chrome Scottsdale moulding on my 75 K-20

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Here's my friend and his '77 Cheyenne circa 1988. His truck did not have the lower trim. Just another option.

You must be registered for see images attach
that actually looks pretty good like that.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I bought one of this kits and it was really expensive with the shipping to europe. The quality is slightly higher than crap. They are thin and don't fit well.After 1 day installing with adjusting and lining up everything as good as possible it looked really good. Bad thing was the adhesive mounts came of at the first warm spring day while parking in the sun. I was so annoyed that I attached the molding through the adhsive mounts with black screws. Since then everything stays in place.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I bought one of this kits and it was really expensive with the shipping to europe. The quality is slightly higher than crap. They are thin and don't fit well.After 1 day installing with adjusting and lining up everything as good as possible it looked really good. Bad thing was the adhesive mounts came of at the first warm spring day while parking in the sun. I was so annoyed that I attached the molding through the adhsive mounts with black screws. Since then everything stays in place.

There's a trick to getting the adhesive to stick.

You have to wipe with a solvent first (like an adhesive promoter, alcohol wipe or laquer thinner. Anything that cleans the surface and does not leave a residue).

You also have to "wet it out" by pushing hard on the side to get it to stick. In the factory the force is enough to oil can the door and have it pop back out when the force is removed.

I used a kitchen roller on mine. It's been ten years and they are still on.

K

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I'm a fan of the original trim as shipped from the factory. I think, not positive, that the lower trim not being on was a factory option. My memory could be shot so don't quote me on that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm a fan of the original trim as shipped from the factory. I think, not positive, that the lower trim not being on was a factory option. My memory could be shot so don't quote me on that.

You are correct. On trucks that did not come with full trim as standard, the lower trim was an option in addition to the upper trim. If two tone paint was ordered, but not the lower trim, the secondary color went all the way to the bottom of the truck

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
There's a trick to getting the adhesive to stick.

You have to wipe with a solvent first (like an adhesive promoter, alcohol wipe or laquer thinner. Anything that cleans the surface and does not leave a residue).

You also have to "wet it out" by pushing hard on the side to get it to stick. In the factory the force is enough to oil can the door and have it pop back out when the force is removed.

I used a kitchen roller on mine. It's been ten years and they are still on.

K

I used degreaser, silicone remover and pushed hard. Maybe not hard enough :)

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
When these adhesive moldings first came out they would fall off before they even left the assembly plant. You could see pieces of trim laying on the shoulder of the road all up and down I-75 and I-69 in Flint.

K

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
When these adhesive moldings first came out they would fall off before they even left the assembly plant. You could see pieces of trim laying on the shoulder of the road all up and down I-75 and I-69 in Flint.

K
Now there's bumper covers and broken glass there. They put in a roundabout that seems to confuse people with the plant entrance being one of the escape routes.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
No kidding. If a company like LMC can get Chinese and Taiwan repop products and sell them surely a Canadian company could do the same :shrug: Maybe LMC should open another store up there to with the intent on getting more Canadian customers because I'm sure @Russell Timmins isn't the only one in this boat.
Why so they can move their main office up there and beat US business tax? Like Burger King did when the bought Tim Hortons?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Why so they can move their main office up there and beat US business tax? Like Burger King did when the bought Tim Hortons?
:shrug: I think in LMC's case they get a lot of walk in business too so moving everything up to Canada could be counterproductive. I know that every time I walk in there, there's usually several others picking up parts, too.

KitsBeach

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Sierra
Engine Size
I'm probably going to get hassled for reviving an old post but what do you guys think about no trim?

I think it looks better on patina trucks for sure, maybe not shiny ones.

The two-tone trucks look awesome too and, of course, need trim.

Depends on the colour for single colour trucks IMO.

I've attached pictures of my two Squares. I'm just getting into Squares and haven't decided which one I'm going to fix up but I want the natural patina and dropped/slammed and short box conversion.

Note also the trim on the light blue, which I believe to be original to this Canadian custom deluxe 2500.

KitsBeach

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Sierra
Engine Size
Note also the trim on the light blue, which I believe to be original to this Canadian custom deluxe 2500.

Ooops maybe ignore me about this being original trim I may have been talking *****. It may be some kind of stick-on trim maybe its dealer or original I don't know.

I just got this truck from the original family. It has very few miles but has been parked outside ten years and under a tree not moving for probably three years.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ooops maybe ignore me about this being original trim I may have been talking *****. It may be some kind of stick-on trim maybe its dealer or original I don't know.

I just got this truck from the original family. It has very few miles but has been parked outside ten years and under a tree not moving for probably three years.

There was a stick-on moulding available, but it was wider and was black in the middle.

With the current look of the truck, I personally think the moulding looks fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224