Unwritten rules of mouldings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I always liked trimmed out two tone trucks...but here in the rust belt they tended to rust around trim. My K20 is solid orange but I added a white stripe to break it up. Dad used to work at a plant that made aluminum trim for 67-72 GM Trucks. He would bring it home and I would screw it to my 70.
You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm probably going to get hassled for reviving an old post but what do you guys think about no trim?

I think it looks better on patina trucks for sure, maybe not shiny ones.

The two-tone trucks look awesome too and, of course, need trim.

Depends on the colour for single colour trucks IMO.

I've attached pictures of my two Squares. I'm just getting into Squares and haven't decided which one I'm going to fix up but I want the natural patina and dropped/slammed and short box conversion.

Note also the trim on the light blue, which I believe to be original to this Canadian custom deluxe 2500.

I think the light blue truck actually looks really good how it is. Just need to pressure wash it to get the funk off it, then polish up the faded paint and it will be real nice. The dark blue truck still looks solid, but maybe best to leave that one as a work truck, looks more of a bruiser than a cruiser to me, which is cool in its own right. I personally am not a fan of slammed trucks, I think you have two cool rigs as it is, but do what you want.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Sorry Rusty, no pics lately. I have one of it with the big camper sitting on the ocean beach, I'll dig that one up and post it

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
That used to be a common thing to do around here. Guys would update their trucks to the newer look and often had a two-tone color along the bottom.

I personally really like the '73-'80 trim much better.
If there are any unwritten rules of moldings, I broke them all.

After picking up some 2 toned doors, I decided to 2 tone the rest of the truck, but I didn't want to pay the LMC prices, so I went to the junkyard and was only able to find some mangled front moldings.

I ended up substituting the rest for some galvenized furnace duct unions that were the same width.

And to add insult to injury, I just screwed them all on with self tappers.

KitsBeach

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks for comments on my new trucks, especially the dark blue one being “more a bruiser than a cruiser”..!!

I like its tough look and both of them have very little rust which is rare up here in Vancouver.

The light blue is probably the one I’ll keep I’m looking forward to scrubbing it up.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
And to add insult to injury, I just screwed them all on with self tappers.

Mine are held on with self tappers just like yours, but my screws are painted black to match the center of the trim lol

KitsBeach

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Sierra
Engine Size
Here’s a picture of a ‘77 off eBay that has same trim as my ‘77...I thought mine might have been some kind of dealer installed stick-on trim but maybe it’s a common trim for that year.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Ken, that's the same trim my 75 K20 Scottsdale came with. Took it off many years ago when we repainted and never got it back on. It had metal ends with one screw each front and rear to cap the stick-on stuff and I still have them. One day, after another repaint they will go back on!

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wish mine never came with molding. When I offroad, the brush wants to peel it off. I guess if you keep it on the pavement or road, it's not that big of deal. As long as it did come with trim, I'd like to keep it original and keep the trim on but it's hard when there's upper and lower. Personally, if it didn't come with it, I wouldn't install it, to each their own though.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I always liked trimmed out two tone trucks...but here in the rust belt they tended to rust around trim. My K20 is solid orange but I added a white stripe to break it up. Dad used to work at a plant that made aluminum trim for 67-72 GM Trucks. He would bring it home and I would screw it to my 70.

I am late to the party, but was the white cab top a factory option or a repaint notion? I have seen a few 70's era furds lately with the white cab top and it is growing on me.
Eric

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am late to the party, but was the white cab top a factory option or a repaint notion? I have seen a few 70's era furds lately with the white cab top and it is growing on me.
Eric
It was a factory option. We had several 70s trucks with white cabs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr