Transmission rebuilding tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Which is easier to use on the bushings the slide hammer kit or bushing kit?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
a bushing kit to use on bushings? HUH? what's that?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't know bud. I am sure HRPC will shed a ton of light on this thread. He is the GM trans warrior. :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Which is easier to use on the bushings the slide hammer kit or bushing kit?

I assume you are reffering to a bushing driver kit??? That is by far the best way instead of usung slide hammers. The bushing driver trans kit it very expensive. Like $500 or so. I normally improvise and use old China Taiwan cheap ass sockets that I don't mind screwing up. Someone was throwing them away, and I scooped them up just for that purpose. So I do have various cheap junk sockets for pounding out and installing bushings and U joints. I'd love to have a complete bushing driver set someday.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tbushdriver.jpg
    tbushdriver.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have that low reverse clutch spring compressor tool. Paid like $20 for it 20 years ago. I also have similar bushing driver kits that work great that I got from HF on sale for like $10. To beat on parts, quality doesn't matter much and the sizes seem to be right on the money too. Most of those busing drivers are to small for most auto trans anyway. As far as teflon or metal clad rings resizes. I use a universal one that fits all sizes. Its called a piece of raidator hose and hose clamps. Works great. Many tools you can improvise and they work just as weel. I also have a Hagerty Clutch spring compressor. It does speed up the rebuild process quite a bit.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I assume you are reffering to a bushing driver kit??? That is by far the best way instead of usung slide hammers. The bushing driver trans kit it very expensive. Like $500 or so. I normally improvise and use old China Taiwan cheap ass sockets that I don't mind screwing up. Someone was throwing them away, and I scooped them up just for that purpose. So I do have various cheap junk sockets for pounding out and installing bushings and U joints. I'd love to have a complete bushing driver set someday.

attachment.php

My rebuild book for the 4L60, 700R4 and 4L60E just has the basic bushing driver kit.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I have that low reverse clutch spring compressor tool. Paid like $20 for it 20 years ago. I also have similar bushing driver kits that work great that I got from HF on sale for like $10. To beat on parts, quality doesn't matter much and the sizes seem to be right on the money too. Most of those busing drivers are to small for most auto trans anyway. As far as teflon or metal clad rings resizes. I use a universal one that fits all sizes. Its called a piece of raidator hose and hose clamps. Works great. Many tools you can improvise and they work just as weel. I also have a Hagerty Clutch spring compressor. It does speed up the rebuild process quite a bit.

I guess I could use piece of metal pipe and flat punch for bushings too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Beleive it or not, many bushings in auto trans hardly wear to the point of needing replaced. Usually they are either damaged from broken hard parts if that was the case, and the front pump bushing where the converter rides will wear, and so will the rear bushing where the yoke slips in. Other than that, most bushings are good and really don't need many replaced. ON Hipo builds, I will replace all bushings only cuz a few thousandths might make a difference. Normally, I just replace common bushings that will come in a common bushing kit, or some expensive rebuild kits will come with common bushings. Common meaning the ones that commonly need replaced.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I agree with HRPC, all the work I've done and all the work my old man has every done, NEVER bought a bushing or seal driver set, always used old sockets or pipe, wood whatever and beat them in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just for you Dave, here is a pic of my trans tool at work taking the low/reverse clutch piston out of a Turbo 350. This is what that tool does that you bought. It compresses the springs, so you can remove the snap ring, Then loosen the tool and remove it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• th350 104.jpg
    th350 104.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 504

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1