Are pneumatic tools obselete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A.G. look back to post 35

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
i have the sawzall but I would like to get a modern one since the weight alone is a lot on the old kind

I think theres a jigsaw in the 12 but I would have to look.
I've actually used both the old and new style Dewalt Sawzalls. I can confirm that even with the adapter in place, the size and weight difference between them is marginal at best. I only abandoned the old one because I finally broke it. The new 20 volt lithium batteries with the adapter on top are nearly have the same overall size as the old style batteries have by themselves

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yea,try having a plug in router get away from you while holding the workpiece in your lap. Quick thinking, yanked the cord out of the wall before it could get my balls.
LOL.
One time I was boring a 1" hole thru a 2x4 in the ceiling to run electrical wire thru during a kitchen remodel. Of course I was home alone and standing on a ladder at the time. I was using a corded Dewalt 1/2" drill. Well, that sumbich got bound up and pinned my hand against the rafter and I couldn't release the trigger. Like you, I grabbed the cord with my freehand and started pulling. Unfortunately, I was plugged into a 25' extension cord. By the time I was able to get the slack out my new drill was smoking. I finally killed the power and saved the day but that drill still smells fried every time I use it.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I havent had that issue, thermodynamics came into help whenever that may be approaching. cold weather helps sometimes!
But Wait, no , I can say that the 16 inch chainsaw, I noticed how that isnt limited by the battery it comes with so much as it is the heat on the chain . I noticed that i had to adjust the tension far more than ive noticed on a gas.. but i dont remember what size that was, it may not be a fair comparison its been too long lol
But I also knew I wasnt going to be a lumberjack and I did technically use a slightly differernt bar and chain its meant to use, the chain is a TAD wider which I imagfine means it has to work harder to do same cuts. But i wasnt about to be using a proprietary chain when oregon almost exactly the same but different paint color on the bar , logo, and the smallest chain increase and it be stocked locally for cheap lol..
I'll have what she's having!

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Several devices for me that still work best on air:
1. Air hammer/chisel (I am 99 % sure they don't even have a battery version yet and I don't count the SDS units because the are usually super sized)
2. DA sander, just because they are also kind of self-cleaning on the right unit
3. Air die grinder and cut-off wheel - Milwaukee M12 unit is pretty cool but it runs through the batteries when cutting stretches and the shape isn't as small and hand-friendly as my air units
4. 15 inch bar sander when you have a big pile of bondo to flatten out, lol

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got a battery drill, and it does come in handy, but I still prefer the power of corded and pneumatic tools.

I've done construction all my life, and can't tell you how many times I've seen tools dropped from over 8' that were saved by catching the cord or hose.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Right just wanted you to know I used Ryobi batteries because all the mods to be backwards compatible with 18v nicads or 18 nmh batteries are built in to the ryobi batteries so no chances of overheating,over discharge etc. First attempt was using Kobalt batteries but they were not designed to be backwards compatible there circuitry is in the tools not the batteries. They worked fine unless you got a drill bit or a saw blade bound up,then they'd discharge in seconds and be junk. Not a problem with the Ryobi batteries.

Last edited:

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Several devices for me that still work best on air:
1. Air hammer/chisel (I am 99 % sure they don't even have a battery version yet and I don't count the SDS units because the are usually super sized)
2. DA sander, just because they are also kind of self-cleaning on the right unit
3. Air die grinder and cut-off wheel - Milwaukee M12 unit is pretty cool but it runs through the batteries when cutting stretches and the shape isn't as small and hand-friendly as my air units
4. 15 inch bar sander when you have a big pile of bondo to flatten out, lol
Same for me! I see Milwaukee has a band file now, would be nice to add to the collection.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One thing that others haven’t mentioned (sorry if I missed it) is that a reasonable air compressor takes up a lot of space in a cramped, small garage. We live in an area with small residential housing, and nobody in our neighborhood has a good sized garage. Ours is a “two car “ but only just barely. I get by with mostly hand tools, but there been times that my little Dewalt 18v impact wrench has saved my bacon a couple times and doesn’t require the space take-up of an air compressor.
For sure. I grew up with no air at home. Dad used all hand tools unless something really bad could get to some air tools.
But as soon as I got a job, first thing I did was buy my dad a 60gal 240v compressor. I traded my mom mine for dads about 20 years ago when he passed. And still using that same compressor going on 35 years old and dunno how I could exist in the shop without a lot of air.
Even though I use a lot of cordless

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got a battery drill, and it does come in handy, but I still prefer the power of corded and pneumatic tools.

I've done construction all my life, and can't tell you how many times I've seen tools dropped from over 8' that were saved by catching the cord or hose.
Depending on application, what you said is true.
Also lifelong construction, heavy civil work and Id have agreed with you wholly if not for comparing a Milwaukee 3/4 drive impact to a 1” square drive air. Milwaukee was every bit as good. Better at busting bolts loose.
There are big spline drives that are a whole Nother level but depending on application, the newer cordless give up nothing to corded tools for power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54