Transmission rebuilding tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just for you Dave, here is a pic of my trans tool at work taking the low/reverse clutch piston out of a Turbo 350. This is what that tool does that you bought. It compresses the springs, so you can remove the snap ring, Then loosen the tool and remove it.

attachment.php

Ok, It works the same way as the GM steering wheel lock plate removal tool. But what other tools do I need to get to that point?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
like most everyone else when it comes to a special tool that I need If i dont have it and cant improvise with out it I make it.
As far as Trans Bushings go I do replace ALL of them no matter the build, seen to many failures from them not being replaced, (static electricity) Wont go into details now,

I guess I am kind of lucky but if I need a driver I usually just make it, It is amazing what you can make when you have a Lathe and Mill.

Hey Hotrod what method do you use to install the Low/Reverse piston into the case? do you actually use the compressor or do you use the hammer and wood method?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
DAVE make sure youinstall the spring compressor in the wider snapring groves of the case, If you install that tool in the small groves case damage could occur.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dsmn this is some good ****. :popcorn:

One of these days I'm gonna get my hands on a spare 700r4 to rebuild on the side and have HRPC walk me through it to have a spare for the burb, I love this **** man.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
like most everyone else when it comes to a special tool that I need If i dont have it and cant improvise with out it I make it.
As far as Trans Bushings go I do replace ALL of them no matter the build, seen to many failures from them not being replaced, (static electricity) Wont go into details now,

I guess I am kind of lucky but if I need a driver I usually just make it, It is amazing what you can make when you have a Lathe and Mill.

Hey Hotrod what method do you use to install the Low/Reverse piston into the case? do you actually use the compressor or do you use the hammer and wood method?

:flipthebird: with your lathe and your mill !!! :roflbow: If I had one, I'd make all my own bushing drivers. I have been known to even make a driver or 2 out of wood with a holesaw drill bit. The deal with wood though, they are usually on a 1 or 2 time use and then you need to make another although its not real hard. I'd love to have a lathe for modifying drums, sunshells etc. I'd be rollarizing every damn transmission I built, using torrington bearings intstead of thrust washers.
On the low reverse, I use air to get the piston out, but I have never used anything other than my hands and my handy dandy rootin tootin art tool to push the piston back into the case. I don't use a lip seal tool. Those things with the wire are to flimsy. Altouugh, you must be careful with the tool I use. You get to aggresive, you can put a slice in the seals. I've done it a couple times myself. Here is what I use for a lip seal tool.

attachment.php

This is the industry standard lip seal tool. When using this type, I'd only get a couple builds out of it, then had to get another. The wire gets bent up fairly easy.
attachment.php

Attachments

• liptool 004.jpg
    liptool 004.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 228
  • lipsealtool.jpg
    lipsealtool.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
:flipthebird: with your lathe and your mill !!! :roflbow: If I had one, I'd make all my own bushing drivers. I have been known to even make a driver or 2 out of wood with a holesaw drill bit. The deal with wood though, they are usually on a 1 or 2 time use and then you need to make another although its not real hard. I'd love to have a lathe for modifying drums, sunshells etc. I'd be rollarizing every damn transmission I built, using torrington bearings intstead of thrust washers.
On the low reverse, I use air to get the piston out, but I have never used anything other than my hands and my handy dandy rootin tootin art tool to push the piston back into the case. I don't use a lip seal tool. Those things with the wire are to flimsy. Altouugh, you must be careful with the tool I use. You get to aggresive, you can put a slice in the seals. I've done it a couple times myself. Here is what I use for a lip seal tool.

attachment.php

This is the industry standard lip seal tool. When using this type, I'd only get a couple builds out of it, then had to get another. The wire gets bent up fairly easy.
attachment.php

I think you might have misread that hotrod. I know what your using for lip seals but the low reverse piston that goes in the case doesnt have an acual lip seal, it just a square seal. I know alot of people that use the compressor to reinstall them just pressing them inplace and a few others that use a block of wood on each side and just push it in or tap it in with a hammer and lots of gel.

But your lipseal too with the wire, I really cant understand why you can only get a few builds on them. Are you using the seal protectors for the inside of the pistons? or are you using your tool for both the inside and outside lip seals?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Heres a few pictures of some of the more common tools used to rebuild. Not saying you have to have all of these but it sure makes it easier.

First one is a clutch compressor for removing the snap rings in the drums.
Second one is the Inner lip seal protector
Third is the lip seal tool
Fourth is a pump alignment and installalation band
Fith is a Pump puller

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
and a few more
First one is the piston compressor for Low/Reverse
Second is a seal installer and resizer used for the input shaft seals. Alot of people do not mess with these which imo is the number 1 reason they have premature failures.

Another tool that is not Pictured that is an ABSOLUTE MUST is a QUALITY metal straight edge.
With out it you cant really check the pressure plates or the drums, failure to do this will result in premature failure.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
What are called?

I edited the post and labeled the photos.

Hot Rod is using a hayden clutch spring compressor purhaps we can get him to post a picture of it unstead of the one I posted I like his better just havent bit the bullet yet.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I edited the post and labeled the photos.

Hot Rod is using a hayden clutch spring compressor purhaps we can get him to post a picture of it unstead of the one I posted I like his better just havent bit the bullet yet.

That hayden tool is expensive. I thought I put up link to a new one ebay in this thread. Its like $250 for new one.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
That hayden tool is expensive. I thought I put up link to a new one ebay in this thread. Its like $250 for new one.

Ebay id NOT as good of a place to find deals anymore. Just do a search on BING I have found them for as little as 125 bux for a new one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1