Transfer case support rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I need to reinstall the rod on my K10 but the bolt that holds it to the bellhousing is broken off, and the only way to get it out is remove the engine or transmission, no room to get in there with anything to extract it.
I swapped the 208 for a 241 (I like the heavier duty 241 idea) and it looks like they used the same length rod.
And yes, I am nervous about driving the truck without that rod.

I911fire

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
your wrench or hand when it gives you trouble and then you have to use the mean vocabulary and some anticipatory taunting
So are you suggesting that I not add this to my driveline?

I911fire

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I went back to the salvage yard today and pulled that strut rod. I guess we shall see the outcome.

I911fire

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Update. Looks like mine was taken off to accommodate dual exhaust. Or at least when I tried to put this one on, it was obstructed by my exhaust. So I guess I will put it on the next time I have exhaust done.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Update. Looks like mine was taken off to accommodate dual exhaust. Or at least when I tried to put this one on, it was obstructed by my exhaust. So I guess I will put it on the next time I have exhaust done.
Yeah, its a pain to get around the rod with true dual exhaust. I have 3" dual and I made it corkscrew around to clear.

bturms

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I need to reinstall the rod on my K10 but the bolt that holds it to the bellhousing is broken off, and the only way to get it out is remove the engine or transmission, no room to get in there with anything to extract it.
I swapped the 208 for a 241 (I like the heavier duty 241 idea) and it looks like they used the same length rod.
And yes, I am nervous about driving the truck without that rod.
Did you ever install the strut rod in your 241? If so what is the length that worked for you?
I just ordered one (luckily) about 37". I am hoping it fits, as i have dual exhaust also. Im sitting on a 350, 4l60 and 241c.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Did you ever install the strut rod in your 241? If so what is the length that worked for you?
I just ordered one (luckily) about 37". I am hoping it fits, as i have dual exhaust also. Im sitting on a 350, 4l60 and 241c.
No, I haven't installed it yet.
But, I could crawl under the truck tomorrow and hold it in place to verify a fit and measure the length.
Meanwhile, the truck sits and does not get driven anywhere.
I am waiting for a good time to yank the engine out so I can remove the broken bolt that holds the arm to the transmission bellhousing.
Also want to clean the engine while I'm at it, repaint it, and maybe throw a set of rings in to cure a weak cylinder.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yeah, its a pain to get around the rod with true dual exhaust. I have 3" dual and I made it corkscrew around to clear.
I'd be interested to see some pics of how your exhaust looks in that area. I've been sourcing new exhaust components like Johnny cash and I know that's going to be one of the biggest pains to make it work in that area with everything going on. I'm thinking that by going mandrel bends route is going to give me the cleanest looking path to get around in there given the small amount of real estate.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'd be interested to see some pics of how your exhaust looks in that area. I've been sourcing new exhaust components like Johnny cash and I know that's going to be one of the biggest pains to make it work in that area with everything going on. I'm thinking that by going mandrel bends route is going to give me the cleanest looking path to get around in there given the small amount of real estate.
I can go take some pics this morning. I just bought straight 3" pipe and 3" mandrel J-bends and cut/welded them to the shape I needed. I still need to finish the rear portion after the mufflers and also find a good location for an H-pipe as far forward as possible. I am most likely going to wait to do all of that until after the 454/4l80 go in since I'm sure I'll need to make some changes to accommodate that anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k