Transfer case support rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok, I recognize that site but had never seen that adapter. Neat part.

The tailshaft for a 400 to 203 is a unique piece, it doesn’t fit any other tcase. Of course, the 203 input needs to be 32 spline where the th350 set up is 27 spline.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok, I recognize that site but had never seen that adapter. Neat part.

The tailshaft for a 400 to 203 is a unique piece, it doesn’t fit any other tcase. Of course, the 203 input needs to be 32 spline where the th350 set up is 27 spline.
Oh I see, so unless you have the right case already, that adapter would be probably quicker since you need only the Tcase adapter and the input they list rather than 3 from OEM where supply is dwindled and never was a lot

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You’d need a 400 with the correct tailshaft too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You’d need a 400 with the correct tailshaft too.
well that link is what im going off of, if its missing something in its description that sucks but im assuming its meant for something idk

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can tell you I have had both combinations. My 77 K20 had the TH400 and 203 transfer case. My 75 Blazer had the TH350 and a 205 transfer case. I didn't think they were all that rare. Back in 92 I cracked the adapter on the TH 350 and NP 205 combo. The Chevy dealer had the adapter on the shelf. Think I paid about $100 for it. That's before I found out how wonderful the 4 speed manual was. Probably never go back to the automatic

I911fire

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok so I have a question on this "Strut Rod" that goes from the T-case to the bell housing. I saw one yesterday on a k20 that I was pulling parts off of. IT was a 350/700R4 w/208C T case truck. I have an '82 K10 that is a SM465 with a 208C case. My T-case has the bosses for the Rod but it doesn't look like it ever had one. I was wondering if this is because mine was a 305 truck? Did they not come on manuals? Should I grab it and install it?

The k20 also had the rods from the inspection plate to the motor mounts, but my bell housing doesn't have the bosses for that.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok so I have a question on this "Strut Rod" that goes from the T-case to the bell housing. I saw one yesterday on a k20 that I was pulling parts off of. IT was a 350/700R4 w/208C T case truck. I have an '82 K10 that is a SM465 with a 208C case. My T-case has the bosses for the Rod but it doesn't look like it ever had one. I was wondering if this is because mine was a 305 truck? Did they not come on manuals? Should I grab it and install it?

The k20 also had the rods from the inspection plate to the motor mounts, but my bell housing doesn't have the bosses for that.

Thanks.

The 4spd bellhousings didn’t get the threaded bosses until the hydraulic clutch set ups (84/85).

Even though they have the bosses I’ve never seen the motor mount or tcase strut rods on a manual transmission set up of any year.

Fyi, the motor mount strut rods from an automatic will work on a hydraulic bellhousing set up.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Thanks.
I believe it was on all 4x4’s. It keeps the tcase for twisting and cracking the adapter or the end of the transmission. Lots of them got removed to make it easier to run dual exhaust or because someone pulled the trans or tcase and just decided it was useless and not worth putting back in. Same thing with the bracing rods from the motor mount to the bottom of the bellhousing on the big block.

You don’t think it does anything until thinks start cracking

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I believe it was on all 4x4’s. It keeps the tcase for twisting and cracking the adapter or the end of the transmission. Lots of them got removed to make it easier to run dual exhaust or because someone pulled the trans or tcase and just decided it was useless and not worth putting back in. Same thing with the bracing rods from the motor mount to the bottom of the bellhousing on the big block.

I think whatever was needed also would be important to view the connection of components. Iron engine to iron bellhousing to iron transmission is secure, but the aluminum t case behind it may need more support than the iron t case.

Then you take out the iron from trans, toss aluminum in and you get more combos lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Well I have to wonder... I would like to see what breaks without it. It can't do much at all to mitigate twisting forces, at least not the way I see it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Here you go... this is the common cracking failure that happens. If you read the thread, you'll see he doesn't have the torque rod on his truck.
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/np205-cracked-mount.22938/
Thanks for the link..
I've seen broken feet off of transfer cases before. One was behind a big block and wet sand with major wheel hop... at least that's the story attached. I just can't see that torque preventing twist. It seems to be pulling the TC in tight to the transmission.
Anyway, I'm not claiming it does nothing...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well I have to wonder... I would like to see what breaks without it. It can't do much at all to mitigate twisting forces, at least not the way I see it.
Its spring science I think.. kinda like gussets or fishplates or encourages
Thanks for the link..
I've seen broken feet off of transfer cases before. One was behind a big block and wet sand with major wheel hop... at least that's the story attached. I just can't see that torque preventing twist. It seems to be pulling the TC in tight to the transmission.
Anyway, I'm not claiming it does nothing...
I also think its more of the lifetime forces not necessarily singular death bed events? that is speculation but i think aluminum tends to fatigue under much less harsh conditions and the further back youre bolting things on to your drivetrain is a lot of stress, id imagine, that can then be put into play

I911fire

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I should probably go pull that strut rod and install it. What can it hurt, right?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well I should probably go pull that strut rod and install it. What can it hurt, right?
your wrench or hand when it gives you trouble and then you have to use the mean vocabulary and some anticipatory taunting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128