Tow bar and trailer hitch receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1979 K10 that I would like to tow behind our motor home. I have been using Roadmaster Tow bars for our other toads but they say they do not have one for the 79 K10, but they do have one for the 79 C10. Apparently the brackets they made for the C10 do not fit the K10. So, looking for anyone that knows of a commercially available tow bar for the 79 K10. If I can't find one then I will need to take it to a fabrication shop and have them make me a setup.

Second question is concerning a trailer hitch receiver. Our K10 has the chrome step rear bumper with places for a hitch ball but the height of the bumper make the trailer set too high in the front. I have looked around for a hitch that will fit the step bumper to provide me a standard receiver so I can then use a drop stinger. Anyone have a used one they want to sell or know of one commercially available ?

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I did this:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

and used the front receiver for to mount a Mile Marker 18000 lb winch. It worked great.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey Bern,

Thanks for the photos of what you did.. that would work great for a winch, but wouldn't work to good for a tow bar. However, will keep it in mind for future projects!!

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the links. The one at Northern Tools will work for a Class II hitch, which would be good for 2 of my trailers. I wonder how it works with no drilling or welding as it states ??

I have purchased stuff from etrailer.com before and just had not thought of looking there. I like the hitch they have listed, just need to make 100% sure it works on a K10!

How about something like this to bolt to the step bumper?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612507_200612507

This is a good website for stuff like that too:

Hitches:

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1979_Chevrolet_C/K Series Pickup.htm

Tow Bars:

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah I like dealing with them, been all good experiences and the pricing isn't bad. Over the summer I got leaf springs, shackles and greaseable bolts for my boat trailer from them.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unfortunately etrailer.com does not list a hitch for a 79 SWB with step bumper... only for 8 foot bed.. I will contact them and see what they have to say!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How about something like this to bolt to the step bumper?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612507_200612507

I've seen a heavier duty version of that, at Tractor Supply I think.

Unfortunately etrailer.com does not list a hitch for a 79 SWB with step bumper... only for 8 foot bed.. I will contact them and see what they have to say!

That Curt hitch pictured looks just like the one I removed from my shortbed C10. It might be that you need to re-drill a couple holes, but it should work. The frames are the same width.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was at TS today.. but looking for something else.

Did your C10 have a factory step rear chrome bumper? If so then it should fit. I am interested.

I've seen a heavier duty version of that, at Tractor Supply I think.

That Curt hitch pictured looks just like the one I removed from my shortbed C10. It might be that you need to re-drill a couple holes, but it should work. The frames are the same width.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I put a full size receiver hitch on mine that I got for free. I also have the step bumper, but with the body lift it worked alright. I know where there is another one that can be had for $10-$15 if it's still there. Where are you at in TX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am just southwest of Fort Worth near Granbury. I would be interested in the hitch.

I put a full size receiver hitch on mine that I got for free. I also have the step bumper, but with the body lift it worked alright. I know where there is another one that can be had for $10-$15 if it's still there. Where are you at in TX?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm a little over an hour north of Gainesville. I bought a bunch of body parts from a guy over here a couple months ago that had one. I didn't need it so I didn't take it but I will try to get ahold of him to see if it's still there.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks!!
I'm a little over an hour north of Gainesville. I bought a bunch of body parts from a guy over here a couple months ago that had one. I didn't need it so I didn't take it but I will try to get ahold of him to see if it's still there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was at TS today.. but looking for something else.

Did your C10 have a factory step rear chrome bumper? If so then it should fit. I am interested.

It probably had a step bumper originally. When I got it, the truck had a 70's sport style bumper on it. I've been meaning to put the hitch on my '79 K30.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any luck checking on the hitch?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard