tow rating - '90 2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skipdup

Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado V2500
Engine Size
Hi. I'm new to all this and trying to learn about my new Suburban... Anyone know how much it can tow?

Mostly stock 1990 V2500 4x4 w/5.7L. 3-speed transmission (THM400-475/3L80). It does have a 2" rough country lift. Haven't figured out what axles it has yet but should be 3.73 ratio (from RPO). Brakes look factory/stock. Window sticker references HD trailering special equipment. Also has RPO code V02 (RADIATOR,HEAVY DUTY,INCLUDES HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER HVY DUTY RAD & TRANS OIL CLR)

I'm installing a ClassV B&W hitch (PO removed the factory one), trailer brake controller, and probably rear airbags.

Thanks!
Skip

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
is there a door tag that tells you still?

skipdup

Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado V2500
Engine Size
is there a door tag that tells you still?
Not that I can find. Only thing I can find is a sticker that gives GVWR (8600), GAWR Front (3800), and GAWR Rear (5600)...

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
in the owners manual?

skipdup

Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado V2500
Engine Size
Owners manual stated to ask the dealer.

skipdup

Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado V2500
Engine Size

skipdup

Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado V2500
Engine Size
@Keith Seymore - There's a wealth of info in those docs you linked to. Thank you again!

For posterity, looks like my tow capacity is 7,000Lbs, with 3.73 gears. 4.10 would give 7,500.

Interestingly, the R2500 w/4.10 & tow package can tow 9,500! I'm kinda surprised 4x4 decreases capacity that much.

Thanks all!

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I was like, what's this guy talking about??? I read everything!
Except, when I go back, sure enough...
No idea how I missed that post. Sorry. But thank you!!!
The '90 R2500 GMC Burb we had, was originally bought from Frank Hillman Pontiac GMC in Corpus Christi, Texas. Had a 5.7, TH400, 4.10 semi floating axle. Was the deluxe two tone, Summit White with Smoke Blue(light metallic blue, about the shade Pontiac used to paint their engines) on the side panels. Dark blue cloth interior with buckets in front, split burb seat in the second row, and no third row. Never had one, we had the carpet out of the cargo area and there were no sockets for the seat latches. We figured it was bought for towing a boat, and not very far either. Without overdrive, and with the 4.10s, it kinda topped out around 60-65 on the highway. Had the skinny steelies with the tall narrow tires, and was a handful to drive till we got everything in the front end fixed. I replaced the tie rods and sleeves in an afternoon with minimal guidance from Dad. It took us a long weekend to get the lower ball joints replaced as they were not interested in coming out! Right side literally exploded inside the OTC puller, sounded like a gun went off and it was in 4 pieces when I took the tool off. The next year we did the upper control arms, and Dad replaced the pitman arm twice and the idler arm once. Made a tremendous difference!

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Keith Seymore - There's a wealth of info in those docs you linked to. Thank you again!

For posterity, looks like my tow capacity is 7,000Lbs, with 3.73 gears. 4.10 would give 7,500.

Interestingly, the R2500 w/4.10 & tow package can tow 9,500! I'm kinda surprised 4x4 decreases capacity that much.

Thanks all!
I guess it's the weight of the 4x4 components, decreasing the gcwr? I noticed that too.
The most we ever towed with our '90 burb was a u haul car trailer, with 3 different vehicles on it. An '81 GMC Sierra longbed C10, a Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon, and a '77 C25 GMC burb with full floater, 454, and TH400 that was already a rust bucket. I know the big block burb was a heavy sob, it took a good shove to get it off the trailer and the chain prolly got pretty close to breaking when the burb moved, rather quickly once momentum was achieved. Rocked the trailer and the tow burb a bit too!
When we were doing swap meets in this burb, they were close enough to home, that we could use two Burbs, so we never towed a utility trailer with it....
City of Stafford wanted them off our property because they were in view from the street.... All are long gone now, continued their journey to becoming ferric oxide while at the storage unit.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Thanks all!
It's like that across the board the R vs V's and C vs K's The 2wd units always have a higher towing compacity at least to some degree. At the very least there is less drive train weight and who knows what else they figure in. I have a C series and most of the farms I tow my 18 foot trailer into are pretty good as I'm not out in the fields with it during the raining season I'm just going to the barn. But there is one guy that has a feed lot over in the eastern wa and his lot is terrible. I've never gotten stuck at his place, but the confidence of a 4X4 at those moments would be nice. Just like anything else 2 vs 4wd is a trade off and for me there is not one clear winner.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
It's like that across the board the R vs V's and C vs K's The 2wd units always have a higher towing compacity at least to some degree. At the very least there is less drive train weight and who knows what else they figure in. I have a C series and most of the farms I tow my 18 foot trailer into are pretty good as I'm not out in the fields with it during the raining season I'm just going to the barn. But there is one guy that has a feed lot over in the eastern wa and his lot is terrible. I've never gotten stuck at his place, but the confidence of a 4X4 at those moments would be nice. Just like anything else 2 vs 4wd is a trade off and for me there is not one clear winner.
Here in Houston there is not much need for 4wd unless you are working in muddy environments. I've been through semi high water in my trucks, most of the time they get through it just fine. Our '81 GMC Sierra shop truck got caught in street flooding when Dad was coming back from the downtown warehouses. It got towed and we had to go fetch it from a storage lot, but I think it was because he parked it on a median. Truck served us well for many years after that, with just fluid changes and greasing the wheel bearings.
We've been through high water in my crew cab, that two jeeps wouldn't go in, and my old '90 R2500 Burb went through water that just washed the running boards off, just like it was on dry ground.
Most of the guys I've known with 4x4s, used them to pull people out of the street or muddy parking lots during the rodeo.

skipdup

Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado V2500
Engine Size
I'm considering selling my '08 Duramax truck (that I bought new) and let the Suburban take over. I only use the truck anymore to get the race cars to the mechanic about 30 minutes away. It's an enclosed '24 trailer and would be slightly over weight. But, I think with such a short distance, it might be fine. Seems like a waste to keep the truck too.
But dang, I've had that truck so long now it feels like part of the family. Crazy how attached I can get to inanimate objects. :)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here in Houston there is not much need for 4wd unless you are working in muddy environments. I've been through semi high water in my trucks, most of the time they get through it just fine. Our '81 GMC Sierra shop truck got caught in street flooding when Dad was coming back from the downtown warehouses. It got towed and we had to go fetch it from a storage lot, but I think it was because he parked it on a median. Truck served us well for many years after that, with just fluid changes and greasing the wheel bearings.
We've been through high water in my crew cab, that two jeeps wouldn't go in, and my old '90 R2500 Burb went through water that just washed the running boards off, just like it was on dry ground.
Most of the guys I've known with 4x4s, used them to pull people out of the street or muddy parking lots during the rodeo.
We live in a semi-rural area or at least what's left of us. There is a valley between us the major cities and that river floods so I know what you are talking about.

We get some snow, but a lot of rain so there is plenty of mud, but good AT tires, and knowing how to drive the truck though those muddy areas goes a long way. I probably only 6 times or so a year do I think 4wd would be nice, but not required.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Long as you're doing short distances, it should do fine.

I tow 7-8k with my 89 burb with no problems.

OD makes it even more tolerable with a 4.10 ratio.

However, for longer distances, something newer is definitely better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad