Trailer Hitch - Factory Step Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi all,
Does anyone have success with installing a hitch like this on a factory step bumper?
Looking to be able to have accessories like a dirt bike rack and also tow a boat (roughly 3500 pounds).

Pictures of my bumper and potential style receiver.

If this wouldn’t work, what frame mounted receiver would clear the step bumper?

Attachments

• IMG_1828.png
    IMG_1828.png
    432.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1827.png
    IMG_1827.png
    403 KB · Views: 63

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hi all,
Does anyone have success with installing a hitch like this on a factory step bumper?
Looking to be able to have accessories like a dirt bike rack and also tow a boat (roughly 3500 pounds).

We had one of those bolt on receivers on our '81 Sierra C15, bolted to the factory step bumper. Dad used Grade 8 bolts, afaik we never had any issues with it.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
I’ve got two receiver hitches for squares, one was a factory hitch from my 88 R30, the other I believe is a U haul one I got off a truck in a bone yard, so good used ones are out there. Both came off trucks with factory step bumpers.

I need to work on one of them, as I now have a drop bumper on my truck, to make it work

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I had and used one for years on my v10. The mason who was the previous owner had welded 1" round bar from the back of the hitch to the frame on both sides, forming a triangle. Never had an issue till it was time to replace the bumper. Smoke wrench made short work of the round bar. lol
Eric

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The downfall to this hitch is emergency braking with a trailer. Seen a few rolled under bumpers in my day. I had that style many moon ago and it worked for light duty.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is a Draw-Tite frame hitch. I modded the setup a bit for a spare tire carrier, but you can see how it sits in relationship to the bumper. If I were towing even anything about the half the weight you want to pull, I'd opt for the frame mount every time.

You must be registered for see images attach

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Doppleganger,​

What model number is that? Did you have to undo any of the stock bumper bolts or did the brackets use pre-existing holes?
Looks about as flush as the bolt-to-the-bumper option which is why I liked it so much.
I think I have a different style spare tire holder so I may not need to modify anything.

If the bumper itself was rated for 4,000lbs, I do understand that adding a ball a few inches out and below where it wants the ball to be changes the dynamic around, just not sure how much. Luckily, I am only really towing short distances or across town (50 miles at the most)

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
One of mine has one. I'll get you a pic tomorrow, it used to make me aittle nervous but at 10 plus years with no issues I'm over it.
Do you tow about the same weight? I think my grandfather had a similar one of his truck and it seemed fine. The step bumper is reinforced to the frame like a tow hitch would be from what I can tell looking underneath.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is a Draw-Tite frame hitch. I modded the setup a bit for a spare tire carrier, but you can see how it sits in relationship to the bumper. If I were towing even anything about the half the weight you want to pull, I'd opt for the frame mount every time.

That Bumper sticker rocks!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if you stay below the ratings on the step bumper and use that bolt-on with a receiver hitch that raises the hitch ball to the same height that it would be on the step bumper you won't have issues with the bumper rolling. The step was designed to take loads on the horizontal center line of the mounting. Lowering the ball puts a torque load on the bumper in braking. If you use a step up hitch to keep the loading in the same plane you should be fine. I'd still keep the tongue loading light since extending the hitch behind the bumper puts a slight torque load on it too.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hi all,

Sir I've gone through and read other people's responses,notice where I said mine made me nervous,but I'm over it. I am no longer over it. What blue ox and shorty 81 said were something I never thought of especially as the bumper ages. I can just see the changing load angle braking rolling that step under,and intend to go to a receiver hitch. These people gave you good advice I never even thought of.

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Doppleganger,​

What model number is that? Did you have to undo any of the stock bumper bolts or did the brackets use pre-existing holes?
Looks about as flush as the bolt-to-the-bumper option which is why I liked it so much.
I think I have a different style spare tire holder so I may not need to modify anything.

If the bumper itself was rated for 4,000lbs, I do understand that adding a ball a few inches out and below where it wants the ball to be changes the dynamic around, just not sure how much. Luckily, I am only really towing short distances or across town (50 miles at the most)
This one is a Class V 41938. Its 'ok' for fitment IMO but there's probably a better one. A couple of the holes line up perfectly (which is a must so it indicates it front-back where it should sit), but some drilling is required. This is the 'diagram' they send with it. I did my own thing for other reasons.

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This one is a Class V 41938. Its 'ok' for fitment IMO but there's probably a better one. A couple of the holes line up perfectly (which is a must so it indicates it front-back where it should sit), but some drilling is required. This is the 'diagram' they send with it. I did my own thing for other reasons.

How was it drilling through the frame?
Trailer hitches are apparently made out of gold now-a-days. I remember being able to get them for closer to $100-150. They are going for anywhere from $250-400 now.

But of course, I won't be thinking about the few hundred dollars I've saved when my trailer starts passing me down the highway.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How was it drilling through the frame?
Trailer hitches are apparently made out of gold now-a-days. I remember being able to get them for closer to $100-150. They are going for anywhere from $250-400 now.

But of course, I won't be thinking about the few hundred dollars I've saved when my trailer starts passing me down the highway.
Wasn't bad at all. I needed a larger drill (11/16) so got a brand new one. I was planning on using 5/8 bolts on all my brackets and figured I'd need a little more space to compensate for the powder coat. IIRC I started with a 3/8, then went 5/8, then 11/16. Not sure what size(s) you'll need.

And fwiw.....I watched ebay for awhile and got mine (new in box) from a clearance seller for $125 shipped. Only thing missing was the hardware (which would cost $50-60 to duplicate) but I was doing my own thing and didn't need it anyways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad