What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Man, my bones and joints hurt just reading that. Good on ya.
Definitely not a fun activity. At least I don't have to do it with no power tools!!

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
HELP. The rear shock exchange has been sidelined! I can't get the nut inside or outside the frame to budge at all. As mentioned before the truck is on the ground. I did remove the spare to get a little extra room and the truck is lifted 2 inches. Also I am working with a regular socket set, so 3/8 in( I don't have 1/2 in). It does have an extension arm I am trying to get the nuts unstuck with. WD 40 sprayed on as well. I have even tacked on a long 15/16 closed end wrench for leverage and no give. Now time is up, we gotta to go my sons baseball game.

Anyone have some advice. I don't have a torch or impact wrench but did seriously think about going to get one or both. Would rather not fork out the $$ for an impact. What you guys got for me?

Hello @JamesSam. I hope all is well.

I use one of these torches. Check offer up or craigslist.

Here are some I found but I do not know which city you live in.

Also IMHO I don't think this is too bad of a deal plus you can make an offer.

Oh also use penatrant any brand WD, Autozone, PB Blast, CR penetrant, etc... instead of just plain WD-40. The penetrant works better than straight WD-40 only.
Just my .02 cents worth.

I hope this helps.

Be well and stay safe out there.
Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

R.
Dryriver1

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
HELP. The rear shock exchange has been sidelined! I can't get the nut inside or outside the frame to budge at all. As mentioned before the truck is on the ground. I did remove the spare to get a little extra room and the truck is lifted 2 inches. Also I am working with a regular socket set, so 3/8 in( I don't have 1/2 in). It does have an extension arm I am trying to get the nuts unstuck with. WD 40 sprayed on as well. I have even tacked on a long 15/16 closed end wrench for leverage and no give. Now time is up, we gotta to go my sons baseball game.

Anyone have some advice. I don't have a torch or impact wrench but did seriously think about going to get one or both. Would rather not fork out the $$ for an impact. What you guys got for me?
Okay here's what I see going wrong,you put a cheater on the 3/8ths ratchet,you strip the teeth,you put a cheater on a 3/8ths breaker bar you split a socket. You buy an impact,now you gotta buy sockets. Your biggest bang for the buck is going to be buy a 1/2 in set of sockets ratchet and breaker bar. You'll use it far more than an impact or a propane torch in the long run. As for penetrant popular mechanics did a test one time,all the big name stuff and a bunch of home brew stuff. The winner actually was transmission fluid cut 50/50 with acetone. The acetone makes it thin enough to wick,but evaporates to leave the transmission fluid as lubricant. It works good I mix it in a dish soap bottle so I ve got the little spout. The acetone destroys the rubber in the oil squirt cans.

Last edited:

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size

I just did mine used ATF as penetration fluid and double wrenches hit it with a torch if that doesn't work

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Brother is continuing the Jimmy frame prep/prime/paint for me. Just finished priming. What a guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Also got my new fuel pump, fuel hoses/lines and all tools finally for the dually's fuel redo. Thanks to @Craig 85. Pulled through big, thanks again. Although i did see that the ports are aiming toward the back of the truck instead of the front. . . shouldn't be an issue though. That's on the agenda for tomorrow. See how far i can get. Also, i may be crazy but i think LMC is selling 1 wire fuel tank selector valves now for like $45 bucks. Thought it was the updated 6 wire was the only one you could get your hands on. Now LMC casually sells them. huh.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay here's what I see going wrong,you put a cheater on the 3/8ths ratchet,you strip the teeth,you put a cheater on a 3/8ths breaker bar you split a socket. You buy an impact,now you gotta buy sockets. Your biggest bang for the buck is going to be buy a 1/2 in set of sockets ratchet and breaker bar. You'll use it far more than an impact or a propane torch in the long run. As for penetrant popular mechanics did a test one time,all the big name stuff and a bunch of home brew stuff. The winner actually was transmission fluid cut 50/50 with acetone. The acetone makes it thin enough to wick,but evaporates to leave the transmission fluid as lubricant. It works good I mix it in a dish soap bottle so I ve got the little spout. The acetone destroys the rubber in the oil squirt cans.
How fast does the acetone evaporate from the mixture? I like that idea.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I fired up the stepside for the first time in about a year. Before that, it had sat in the barn, untouched for several years. I did hose it off last year, but this time I hand washed it. It no longer has the appearance of a barn find.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Ok, I got a 1/2 inch breaker bar, 1/2 inch sockets and some PB Blaster. Got home and enthusiastically got to it. Unfortunately no budge. I sprayed both sides of the bolt at least 4 times with the PB. Time was an issue this afternoon and it snuck up on me. I had to call it and get dinner going for the kids and the dogs. I will take another crack at it tomorrow after work. Maybe the PB Blaster will have soaked in enough to actually help by then. I might see about a torch on the way home. With how easy the front shocks were to remove I thought I had this in the bag. I was assuming since the front has all the weight and the rear has barely any it would be easier for some reason. Thinking back I did start the shocks in the front on the bottom before going to the top. I did not loosen the bottom of the rear shock that I started on, only trying for the top. Maybe getting the bottom loose will help get it un-stuck?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Almost done with the Benz Sprinter van spare tire carrier retro fit. I had to make brackets to mount the hinges. Cant believe how easy it is to handle a large heavy wheel/tire with this setup. There is a tube for a lift bar - I'll make one when its all in for good. Fits well with the hitch too. Currently is held up with some chains as I still have to weld some u-bolts to the back of the hitch for turnbuckles to draw the tire carrier up tight - thats how it will ride. So far its working out pretty good.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Ok, I got a 1/2 inch breaker bar, 1/2 inch sockets and some PB Blaster. Got home and enthusiastically got to it. Unfortunately no budge. I sprayed both sides of the bolt at least 4 times with the PB. Time was an issue this afternoon and it snuck up on me. I had to call it and get dinner going for the kids and the dogs. I will take another crack at it tomorrow after work. Maybe the PB Blaster will have soaked in enough to actually help by then. I might see about a torch on the way home. With how easy the front shocks were to remove I thought I had this in the bag. I was assuming since the front has all the weight and the rear has barely any it would be easier for some reason. Thinking back I did start the shocks in the front on the bottom before going to the top. I did not loosen the bottom of the rear shock that I started on, only trying for the top. Maybe getting the bottom loose will help get it un-stuck?
What length? Get as long as you can, or a pipe. Eat your spinach and wheaties. Itll come off.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
How fast does the acetone evaporate from the mixture? I like that idea.
I've never really paid any attention I use it the same way I would blaster or anything else I put some on wait a couple minutes give it a try,no success put on a little more walk away for awhile. It is my go to though it works good it's cheap and I never run out cause I just mix more

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I fired up the stepside for the first time in about a year. Before that, it had sat in the barn, untouched for several years. I did hose it off last year, but this time I hand washed it. It no longer has the appearance of a barn find.

Still think you should sell it to me! Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skymagu