time for new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
235/85R16 I think is the correct size.
I have never bought tires before, so I'm hoping for some input. Here are my criteria for the new tires, sort of in order of importance.
-price
-fuel economy
-quality construction and design and good grip
-ride quality and quiet road noise
-looks
Its a 2wd truck so I don't think I'll be doing any any off roaring. Thank you in advance for any suggestions :)

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Have you checked out tirerack.com yet? It may give you some good ideas on what to look for. they have a section for each tire where they post customer reviews. Find the ones with similar vehicles and you'll get a good idea of what to expect from the different tires. We used to use it all the time at the dealership when a customer wanted a new set of tires.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
So, if I order them online, then will any tire place install them?
Eidt: so I looked at Costco the cheapest tires they have are bfgoodrich at ko for $165, bridgestone duravis r500 HD for $160, and bridgestone dueler at revo 2 eco for $165.

Tire rack has some cheap kumhos but then there is $60 shipping, and I still have to get them installed. If I go ahead with Costco its only $15 per tire for installation and everything else.

Also I will check the most reputable local place Cains tire. They have a big banner "we beat Costco"

Only problem with Costco it means driving 15+ year old, bald, bulging tires on the highway to get there.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I just did some tire shopping for my Silverado. I ended up buying them at Costco- but they had to order them in. They were cheaper than discount tire direct or even tire rack by the time I added shipping then having a shop mount and balance them. The tire shops here are getting quite rude also when you bring in tires not bought from them. They end up charging way more. (At least $80 if not more).

I like having a tire waranty with costco also. I ended up having to use their road hazard waranty last year on my car. They replaced the tire and charged me $25. Not going to be able to do that with mail order tires.

Last edited:

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Does Costco perform an alignment though? I think the local tire shop includes that. Isn't that something that should be done every time you get new tires, though?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Does Costco perform an alignment though? I think the local tire shop includes that. Isn't that something that should be done every time you get new tires, though?

I'm not aware of any that do alignments. If your local tire shop will do that with a set of tires that will save you around $70 or so.

I usually get an alignment when I get a new set of tires. My K20 will hold an alignment way better than my Silverado. That solid axle just doesn't get knocked around as easily. EDIT: I just noticed your truck is 2wd. Don't know how well those hold alignments...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
2wd trucks hold an alignment just fine. My C10 was last aligned 8.5 years ago and it still tracks perfect and the tires have still been wearing perfect.

I wouldn't buy tires somewhere just because they give a free alignment. Often that is just something they do to get you in the door so they can sell you more parts. Which is fine, but a shady shop will try selling you parts you don't need.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
My C20 spent the last 15 years sitting in a field. Could it have "lost" the alignment?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The alignment should be fine- however I'd check out all other rubber on the truck real well. Brake lines, rubber suspension bushings, belts, hoses, things like that. Rodents could have munched on them, or they could have started to dry rot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising