What ya'll think of these new wheels/tires? I dig em. Any shock suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
@SquareRoot Mike,(and anyone else that would way in with thoughts) I like the new wheels but also agree the OG's were great. I am looking for info from you because it seems you are in a similar height/wheel/tire size situation as me. Not trying to sideline the thread, just looking for feedback. I purchased my truck as you see in my Avatar. I was told by the previous owner it's a 2" lift. I think it really might be 1.5". The wheels are 18" and tires are 33". Mine only rub at extreme left and right turns of the wheel. These are Ultra Motorsport wheels and the tires are Salun AT's. I like the wheels but would one day like to get something a little different that is resto-mod-ish. The tires are not even half way through their life so I will be keeping them for a while even though I would rather ride on some Goodyears or something comparable. Sending photos of ideas next, let me know what y'all think.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Current wheels and tires. 4x4 and regular spindles fit over hubs.

Attachments

• 20231028_134431.jpg
    20231028_134431.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231028_134434.jpg
    20231028_134434.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 24

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I think I want these Detroit Steels. They make an 18" wheel in this variety. Something like this. What do you think it would look and perform like if I took the lift out? Or should I kep the lift?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Also, I have no idea if I would be able to get the factory spindles on these Detroit Steels or not... I would prefer to have the factory spindles.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@SquareRoot Mike,(and anyone else that would way in with thoughts) I like the new wheels but also agree the OG's were great. I am looking for info from you because it seems you are in a similar height/wheel/tire size situation as me. Not trying to sideline the thread, just looking for feedback. I purchased my truck as you see in my Avatar. I was told by the previous owner it's a 2" lift. I think it really might be 1.5". The wheels are 18" and tires are 33". Mine only rub at extreme left and right turns of the wheel. These are Ultra Motorsport wheels and the tires are Salun AT's. I like the wheels but would one day like to get something a little different that is resto-mod-ish. The tires are not even half way through their life so I will be keeping them for a while even though I would rather ride on some Goodyears or something comparable. Sending photos of ideas next, let me know what y'all think.
Ok, so I learned that a "33", "35", etc is a generalization and varies by up to an inch based on brand, model and aspect ratio. I knew the look I wanted and did a lot of homework and measuring to get what I have. I learned what offset versus backspacing is. And fitting the tire width to the wheel width makes a difference in looks. Basically I like straight sidewalls hence the 285 tires on a 9 inch wheel.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For sure keep the lift. I like those. I think you mean center caps, not spindles?

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The tires are not even half way through their life so I will be keeping them for a while even though I would rather ride on some Goodyears or something comparable.
Since you asked, I've had some bad luck with Goodyears. Notice Mike has B F Goodrich, they are good. For a little less money I've been running Firestones, no issues. Many good brands out there, but me, I would not consider Goodyears in that list.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Unlike your distaste for my wheels, I like those Visions…
Fwiw, higher load rated tires can ride just as smooth as lower rated. Just adjust the pressure.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Unlike your distaste for my wheels, I like those Visions…
Fwiw, higher load rated tires can ride just as smooth as lower rated. Just adjust the pressure.
I like your wheels. Actually today was the first I put any miles on them. I drive 25 miles to work. The difference in ride quality just by having new tires is amazing. And driving on a freshly paved highway at 75 it was smooth as glass. I'm quit impressed with my dumb luck

Last edited:

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
I like the wheels they look great.
As far as shocks go, I've had the yellow and blue Bilstein gas shocks on my '82 C20.
They're good quality shocks and they'll last a long time but I find that they ride very roughly.
I by far prefer the Rancho adjustable RS9000 shocks.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like your wheels. Actually today was the first I put any miles on them. I drive 25 miles to work. The difference in ride quality just by having new tires is amazing. And driving on a freshly paved highway at 75 it was smooth as glass. I'm quit impressed with my dumb luck
Haha maybe you were f…ing with me when you said they looked like one of those fertilizer sprayer tractors! All good. Cheers!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Also, I have no idea if I would be able to get the factory spindles on these Detroit Steels or not... I would prefer to have the factory spindles.
If you look at DSWs website, they will tap the wheels for the OE style center caps you’re talking about. Or tap and add clips for hubcaps like my wheels.
I’m impressed with the quality of the Detroit steelies. Durability, idk, my kids truck is a pavement princess.
What I can tell you is they are VERY heavy for their size. Not a deal breaker but worth mentioning. Look up the weights and compare to say some stock 15-16” steelies or most any alloy wheel.
I love the look of the Delrays too and would have probably gotten those if our truck was a half ton.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag