1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire time need thoughts on slight size change

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by SirRobyn0, Mar 21, 2021.

1. mcarlo86

mcarlo86 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Interesting that you mention this. I have never seen or heard of any tire shops that do this anymore, but my dad tells stories of back in the early 70's when he was working in an auto parts store that they had just such a machine and they used it to "make the tires round."

AuroraGirl and bucket like this.
  2. Grit dog

Grit dog Full Access Member

First Name:
    Todd
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Yeah, shaving tires isn’t a thing anymore. Hasn’t been for many moons. Except in performance applications.

AuroraGirl and bucket like this.
  3. Grit dog

First Name:
    Todd
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Oh yeah, they were crusty. Makes sense why you didn’t like them. Toyo AT 2 or AT3 are about the best all around tire for wet/snow traction, quiet ride and tire life. Hence why they’re so ‘spensive.

4. AuroraGirl

AuroraGirl Full Access Member

First Name:
    Taylor
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1980
    Truck Model:
    K10, K25
    Engine Size:
    400(?), 350
    My service information talks about it is all o know about it. Buick does not recommend the removal of tire material to correct run out or variations but instead use match mounting and indexing to axle\knuckles, shims to jack up a rotor for brakes etc instead

5. SirRobyn0

SirRobyn0 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    So far I have not seen any changes in steering on the road other than the before mentioned floatyness which I think we a pretty sure it's just tread squirm / new tires break in whatever you want to call it. We use to warn people of this sometimes when I worked at a tire store, but I've never personally experienced it before now. And the days of me working for Firestone feels so long ago now.....

Yes that's right, I'm not at work so I don't know exactly what was on the tires but it was a 4 digit DOT. I left the tire business in the early 2000's so I remember all the hubbub when the 4 digit date codes came out.

I agree with tires seating to the rim. Off hand I don't remember brand. It's super fancy with a computer monitor. You don't even have to measure the wheel or nothin' the thing does all that with Lasers and tells you where to put the weight. Stops the tire where you need it and shines a red laser where to hammer the weights. When I think of mounting tires I still think of coats 40/40 machines and bubble balancers....

I think that stuff has died thanks to radial tires and all the improvements in roundness and moldings.

AuroraGirl and mcarlo86 like this.
  6. AuroraGirl

AuroraGirl Full Access Member

First Name:
    Taylor
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1980
    Truck Model:
    K10, K25
    Engine Size:
    400(?), 350
    I had tire squirm in my truck after new tires, but i think its because the rear tires went from no traction to having a LOT esp compared to the HT up front. In addition, the truck has no sway bars its just base model f150, it has a shit load of worn parts in the front end, and its probably not aligned. add a little light rear and it wants to jive

7. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    I don't know, I was thinking about this after I went outside. My Dodge had some kind of Toyo open country on it when I bought it in 2002, but I no longer remember much about them, and of course the square with the Toyo ATs. I was not impressed with either set. I would have had the Toyo's off the square sooner if it hadn't been for my reduced income this last year. They were quieter than the Grabber's are, that's about the only thing. Honestly I don't hear the grabbers until I roll the window down. My first drive in the rain with the grabber's was much better and the Toyo's seemed to want to float and spin on even a little mud at the farm. But I have to remember the Toyo's were old and hard so it's not really a fair comparison.

8. Grit dog

First Name:
    Todd
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    ^And I’m not considering tires that should already be aged out of service or whatever their tires were 20 years ago or more. Just my experience in recent years with new tires.

SirRobyn0 likes this.
  9. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Well I did my first tow with the trailer today since installing the tires. First had to get the trailer out of it's parking spot. Maneuvering it out involves getting the front tires of the truck off the turn around area into a bit of dirt / mud. With the old tires this usually caused some trouble getting it to turn. This morning it was no problem. The drive there and back was uneventful, a lot of hills, curves and varying of speed. I will say the wider tires definitely make a difference in stability. I've also got to get that re-gear done.... 3.41's just don't cut it in the hills.

And because we need pics. 20210410_115259.jpg 20210410_130355.jpg

mcarlo86, bucket and idahovette like this.
  10. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    ^^^Yep, after my findings in recent years, I will never ever go back to the 235/85 size again.

mcarlo86 likes this.
  11. bucket

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    Hey could you do me a favor since you have those mounted on stock wheels? I'd love to run those on our van, but tire clearance may be an issue. An actual OD measurement and tread width measurement would be beneficial if it's not too much trouble.

78C10BigTen likes this.
  12. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    You bet, I will do it tomorrow and post back. Thanks for the advice, specifically mentioning towing stability and front end plow on the soft stuff. 265's were never on my radar until then. Plus the wider AT tire sure looks good!

And thanks to everyone that gave advise, thoughts, posted pics ect. If you didn't know before I started managing the shop I'm at now I worked most of my carrier first for Firestone and later Goodyear. But knowing about tires does not replace real world use and experience on a particular vehicle. You all gave that and I appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    mcarlo86 and bucket like this.
  13. SirRobyn0

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    I'm sorry Andy it was one thing after another at the farm today and I did not take the measurements. I'll be at work tomorrow with the truck so I'll get them for you then.

14. Powerhouse Ranch

Powerhouse Ranch 3G Connoisseur Supporting Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    I'm running Mastercraft Courser AXT LT265/75R16 on my 2wd 1980. Can't complain at all, takes the burnouts pretty good haha. When it's tire time though i'll most likely be going to @FireTruck1984 's BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A s. I've always thought those look sexy on Squares, especially 4wd

I don't know the size exactly on my project Jimmy, but i currently have the old dry-rotting Super Swampers on it, 35s, they will be replaced but kept in that ballpark. The look and stance is great. Below is the best picture i currently have of them/stance

DSC01320.JPG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  15. bucket

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454