Tire time need thoughts on slight size change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
... he didn't say that ;0

Hey mr floaty rear...that's all tire pressure dude!
How mush u run?

:waytogo:
Looks killer but how mush AND ! What is to be said for the spare tire please Sir?
o_O
Safety first yo!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
275/60/15 is what I got. 29" tall and white letters. I'm sure they're not perfect for snow and **** but, they are great burnouts tho. :burnout:

Oh and 30 to 35 psi. I don't like driving around on bowling balls. :rofl:

You must be registered for see images attach

White letters or gtfo! :peace: :patriot:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
... he didn't say that ;0

Hey mr floaty rear...that's all tire pressure dude!
How mush u run?

:waytogo:
Looks killer but how mush AND ! What is to be said for the spare tire please Sir?
o_O
Safety first yo!

Right now I'm at 50 in the front and 80 in the rear. I realize that's a lot of pressure in the rear for unloaded. On the surface I wouldn't think high pressure would cause floating, but it might if it's able to push the center of the tire out somewhat. I might try dropping it tonight and see how it is on the highway. Since your running the grabbers, what size and pressure are you running?

Cost was $170 each, which kind of sucks, but I've liked these tires in the past so as long as I can work out the floating ass I know I'll love them, and that will make the cost worth while.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thirty pounds all corners Sir.
The truck sees a mix of highway driving and rocks.
Does most of it's work over unfinished surface. Thirty psi at 4800 lbs curb weight and 100 mph. (Unloaded)
Hope this helps!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Just put on a set of NITTO Terra Grappler LT285/75R17 and they are a tad tall for the rear of the front fenders...: ( But I still like them.

The brakes are Hummer with 4 puck calipers which required larger wheels from factory. I'm still thinking on what I am going to do with the fenders......lift, cut, body lift.......suggestions?

1" body lift, please no more than that!
Zero-Rate add-a-leaf from ORD or DIY4x4 and relocate axle forward 1".
Slide cab back .5 - .75"
Trim the front 'horn' or 'fange'.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thirty pounds all corners Sir.
The truck sees a mix of highway driving and rocks.
Does most of it's work over unfinished surface. Thirty psi at 4800 lbs curb weight and 100 mph. (Unloaded)
Hope this helps!

The one problem I have with this is that if I run a lower tire pressure, especially a substanually lower pressure like 30 I'll be airing up and down all the time for when I'm hauling and when I'm not. If I could get away with being in the 50 - 60 range at least at that pressure I'd be able to do most of my hauls with that and wouldn't have to air up as often. But we'll see I'll play with the pressures and see how I feel about it. I still say I think part of it maybe the tires breaking in. Believe it or not it really is a thing. I may try rotating the tires as well to see if the floatyness moves to the front or not.

In other news the alternator decided to act up this morning (acting like a bad diode), so I'll have to find time to change that out this afternoon....

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Nice choice with the 265's and white letters out! ;). I typically run 50 psi most of the time in the tires on my Sooper Doodie and that is plenty unless I am going to pull the stock trailer. Rides better and you don't get that jarring in the back with every tar mark on the highway when you are unloaded. Also, centers of the tires can wear out faster if inflated to max without a load on it.

I really like the look of the 265's compared to the 235 85's. Nice pickup!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Looking good with 4 new tires. Unfortunately it turned overcast and rather dark out today, so it's hard to see the tread in the pictures, but you can really see them in person and makes the truck look much more rugged and work ready.

Gonna be a little bit before I can do a post with what I think of the change, but it'll happen before I go to bed tonight.

Looks good! Why the "grippers" on the front if I may ask Sir?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Looks good! Why the "grippers" on the front if I may ask Sir?

I've always done that on my 2wd pickups, figuring it'll help with steering and stopping if needed. But the other benefit is the ability to rotate.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0

I noticed a while back you had asked someone about Treadwright tires. I have quite a bit of experience with them. I have ran several sets of their Wardens (old BFG AT tread pattern) and have liked them. I have also ran some of the Claw's on my soil sampling pickups. Very good traction for the money. Main takeaway with Treadwright is that you have to static balance them. I have had a lot of issues in the past finding a tire shop that will actually static balance when I ask them. Most either tell me dynamic is better, or they tell me they will static balance them and then proceed to dynamic balance them. I ended up buying my own tire machine and balancer because I was tired of tire shops not doing what I asked. I don't know why, but for some reason the way the tires are made, they just balance better using static balancing. If a person is thinking about buying cheap tires from China, then Treadwright would be a good option. Good choice for the guy who wants a lower cost traction tire for a weekend off road vehicle, farm truck, or something like that. If you are daily driving and doing a lot of highway miles, then spending a bit more and getting something like the General Grabbers you got would probably be best.

The remold process is pretty cool. The guy that owns the company is a Navy Vet and I like the idea of supporting an American company when I can. The quality of the Treadwrights that I have had over the years has been good. I have a friend who had one of their Axioms fail, and Treadwright sent them a new tire free of charge.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0

I noticed a while back you had asked someone about Treadwright tires. I have quite a bit of experience with them. I have ran several sets of their Wardens (old BFG AT tread pattern) and have liked them. I have also ran some of the Claw's on my soil sampling pickups. Very good traction for the money. Main takeaway with Treadwright is that you have to static balance them. I have had a lot of issues in the past finding a tire shop that will actually static balance when I ask them. Most either tell me dynamic is better, or they tell me they will static balance them and then proceed to dynamic balance them. I ended up buying my own tire machine and balancer because I was tired of tire shops not doing what I asked. I don't know why, but for some reason the way the tires are made, they just balance better using static balancing. If a person is thinking about buying cheap tires from China, then Treadwright would be a good option. Good choice for the guy who wants a lower cost traction tire for a weekend off road vehicle, farm truck, or something like that. If you are daily driving and doing a lot of highway miles, then spending a bit more and getting something like the General Grabbers you got would probably be best.

The remold process is pretty cool. The guy that owns the company is a Navy Vet and I like the idea of supporting an American company when I can. The quality of the Treadwrights that I have had over the years has been good. I have a friend who had one of their Axioms fail, and Treadwright sent them a new tire free of charge.

"The remold process is pretty cool" I completely agree with that, while I didn't go that route this time, I'm glad to hear the feedback. Maybe in the future I will take the leap and give them a shot.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
A little mid-day fun. So I did several short highway passes with varying tire pressures one the front I held at 50PSI until I started dropping the rear below that, then I dropped the front an equal amount. I'll write my experiments like this. FT/RR. First pass was at 50/80 as I have had them for a base line. The floaty rear end feeling seemed a lot less than last night, but still it was there so I proceeded. 50/70, 50/60, 50/50, 40/40, 30/30 Honestly I did not notice much of a seat of the pants feel until I hit 40/40. At 40/40 the ride and handling was noticeably mushier. As in there was less of the floaty feel, but also steering wheel input seemed muted a little. At 30/30 I could most definitely feel tire roll on hard corners at high speed, which is good, because it felt different than the floaty feel basically eliminating sidewall flex from the float issue.

I feel that the floating is getting better, or I'm getting use to it. I put it back to 50/60 at those pressures I can do all but the very heaviest hauling that I'll do so I'm going to leave them at that for now and see how I feel on tonight's drive.

I'm starting to believe there are a couple things going on here. New tires, breaking in. Tires with deep tread will behave a little different than near worn out ones and finally I think that the steering is much more responsive and that means a correcting the truck at high speeds has a different effect. All and all I'm getting more and more convinced that there isn't a problem and it's just me needing to get use to tires that are not 15 years old dry rotted and unwell.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I've always done that on my 2wd pickups, figuring it'll help with steering and stopping if needed. But the other benefit is the ability to rotate.

Yes Sir, makes sense, though seems I've noticed grippers on the front were harder to "push" through mud? Snow could be different? Any way, looks good and good luck with them Sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito