Ticking Sound from Inspection Plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Well I got a ticking sound from the aluminum plate near the flywheel housing. The ticking starts once the engine warms up. Gets louder/faster when the gas in pressed. The sound also gets louder/different when I put some pressure on the plate.

I'll be taking the plate off sometime this weekend to check things out.

I just wanted to get a better idea of what it could be.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!! :drool:

Also I searched the forum for something similar and I got nothing.
So I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cracked flywheel? Loose TC bolt? :popcorn:

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Cracked flywheel? Loose TC bolt? :popcorn:

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

So we just slapped in the motor from my other truck and the flywheel looked in good shape. Loose bolts could be a possibility.

I was thinking maybe the starter was some how tapping on the inspection plate.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would take it easy on it until you can open her up and do a visual inspection.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I would take it easy on it until you can open her up and do a visual inspection.

Well I just turned it on and took it for a spin. Now i notice it only ticks when I step on the clutch. Again the ticking only starts when the engine warms up.

Maybe something to do with the clutch release bearing?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh I thought you were running an auto trans. I mis understood.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
It could be an exhaust leak

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
It could be an exhaust leak

yeah i thought of this too. But i ruled it out being that the sound gets different when i press on the inspection plate.

I should mention that we used a different housing for a manual clutch (non hydraulic)

Also I noticed the truck shakes a bit when taking off on first gear only (not first low).
It takes on perfect in reverse or on first low, but when I take off on first it shakes, could this be clutch chatter? The clutch/flywheel has less than 1k miles :help:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Axle wrap accentuated by a blistered flywheel.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Even a resurfaced flywheel can be warped if it wasnt cooled properly when being surfaced. I did a clutch in a F150 awhile back that Oreilly's didnt cool it properly and i ended up putting a new flywheel in.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Axle wrap accentuated by a blistered flywheel.

Any way to fix axle wrap? not too familiar with this

So you guys are saying to check the flywheel....what exactly would I be looking for, Cracks?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So are you using the older style 3-finger pressure plate with the newer style (hydro) bellhousing? I've heard of clearance issues with this combination.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
So are you using the older style 3-finger pressure plate with the newer style (hydro) bellhousing? I've heard of clearance issues with this combination.

So the bellhousing is non hydro, it has the manual adjusting clutch. And the pressure plate is not three finger.

I got something similar to this http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...w=156&start=0&ndsp=39&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:88

I had to change the bellhousing from hydro (my other truck) to non hydro or manual. Could the combination of bellhousing and flywheel be the issue?

Now that I remember, if the clutch isn't aligned correctly, could this cause the ticking and/or the shaking at take off?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Any way to fix axle wrap? not too familiar with this

So you guys are saying to check the flywheel....what exactly would I be looking for, Cracks?

Is the truck lifted? In particular, with blocks in the rear? This increases leverage the pinion has over the leaf springs, and with a blistered flywheel can cause some awesome shaking. And a flywheel can get that way from a leaky rear main oil seal, or trans input shaft seal, get oil on the clutch and you'll end up with a rough surface on the face of the flywheel. Letting out on the clutch pedal makes for rough engagement, whole truck will shake no matter how easy you try to be. The ticking could be the throwout bearing.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Is the truck lifted? In particular, with blocks in the rear? This increases leverage the pinion has over the leaf springs, and with a blistered flywheel can cause some awesome shaking. And a flywheel can get that way from a leaky rear main oil seal, or trans input shaft seal, get oil on the clutch and you'll end up with a rough surface on the face of the flywheel. Letting out on the clutch pedal makes for rough engagement, whole truck will shake no matter how easy you try to be. The ticking could be the throwout bearing.

The truck has stock suspension. So today I took off the inspection plate (or whatever its called) and saw some scrapes on the very top. I compared it to the inspection plate from my other truck and noticed a difference in size. I grinded it down to size and whala, all is good now.

Now on to the shake. I noticed today that the shaking is not all that violent. The more gas I give it, the smoother the truck takes off. It seems like the truck wants to turn off everytime. Could this be a fuel issue? Timing issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76