'83 K10 / 350 / SM465: shuddering from first and a nasty sound under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sterling452

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 V8
Hello all

First post, longtime lurker and lifelong squarebody lover here (owned 5).

I have a 1983 Chevy K10 with 32k original miles. I picked it up about 2 and a half years ago from a rancher who used it as his snowplow truck. I've been restoring it and learning as I go. It originally had a 305 according to the VIN, previous owner said he dropped a Goodwrench 350 into it. As far as I can tell, it has an SM465 behind it. I love it except for the poor highway performance. I'm planning a 454 swap with a full-floating 14-bolt rear end swap, currently has the original 10-bolt front and rear. Running 33" tires for the time being.

My issue right now is this: when I let out the clutch from a stop, more often than not, the truck shudders fairly significantly. If I wind it out to about 1500-1800 rpm, it won't shudder. Also, sometimes randomly, other times when I'm going up hill, especially at 35mph+ in 3rd gear (1500+ rpm), there's a chattering sound that I suspect is a noisy throw out bearing. If it's contaminated, can I burn it off? I don't ride the clutch and drive it fairly tame.

I've read that shuddering can be caused by a contaminated clutch plate and that worn out throwout bearings are bad for input shafts.

Should I be planning a clutch replacement? If so, what are the higher end makes/models? I do most of my work myself so I'm not afraid to spend some extra cash for quality parts.

Happy to provide more history & detail of it helps.

Thanks!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Welcome fellow PNW square bro! Nice rig. I'll let a pro chime in on the issue, but my understanding is a glazed clutch plate will cause chattering amongst other things.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My vote is to replace the clutch. Stay away from the three finger style pressure plate and the hockey puck type of disc, also replace the pilot bushing.

Should I have recommended to dump the clutch?

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from Ohio. I agree ^^^^

Latest posts

Forum statistics