Ticking sound from distributor...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I searched the site but couldn't find anything specific.

Next up for me on this '75, now that I have it running - I'm hearing a distinct 'ticking' sound coming from the distributor. It is clearly coming from the distributor and is very 'fast'... not a slow ticking sound.

I do not know if this was something I caused when I changed the coil or if it was there when I bought the truck.

When installing the tachometer gauge wire to the distributor, I popped the cover off of the coil before cranking and saw the burnt wires (see picks) and therefore changed the coil. I suspect something is likely wrong which led to the burnt wire originally????? and is possibly causing this ticking sound?

Cranked it - it ran fine but immediately heard this ticking sound. I have since replaced the distributor cap and seal to no avail. BTW: the distributor cap on the vehicle did not have the little metal ground connector just fyi but the ground wire was connected to one of the coil screws.

Thoughts on the cause and a solution?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That wire and the sound is arcing, replace the coil assembly, that will fix the ticking. You don't want that arcing. A whole replacement cap with a coil included is what I would be doing personally.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I replaced the coil before ever starting it, ( see the original post) once I saw that shorted wire… still ticks… with the new coil, new distributor cap and new seal…

has to be something else.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I replaced the coil before ever starting it, ( see the original post) once I saw that shorted wire… still ticks… with the new coil, new distributor cap and new seal…

has to be something else.
Okay, so you've already replaced the coil you have pictured? And it's still making the ticking sound?

If so, have you inspected or replaced plug wires?

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Plug wires ‘look’ good but were on the truck when I bought it.

ticking sounds coming from the distributor though…

but are you think one or more is shorted at the distributor?

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
It’s the rotor hitting the cap. I got a new rotor and cap for my plow truck a couple years ago from Napa. Truck ran fine, just wanted to do a tube up. Put new cap and rotor on it, very loud ticking from dist. Took cap off and saw where rotor was hitting cap by each plug wire terminal.

it was late in the day, just my plow truck and I had enough of working on it. I just ran it and it clearances itself. If it was my daily driver and needed to make long trips I’d have changed it and fixed it. But now on my plow truck. Lol

ben

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Okay, so you've already replaced the coil you have pictured? And it's still making the ticking sound?

If so, have you inspected or replaced plug wires?
I said arcing because of your first post said you replaced it but the sound you’re describing is arcing

if you see carbon tracking on the cap nubs or to the base of the distributor/back of engine from your wires or your electrical connector tabs you will find what is arcing. Unless it’s inside then open it up snd clean the dirt and grime and you will find marks that are hard to clean most likely on metal pieces that are in the same direction mostly that will be carbon tracking which is caused by your ignition system having to jump air gaps instead of through solid conductors and its science I don’t have the science to explain anymore than that

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Air is ionized by the high voltage and becomes conductive and push comes to shove instead of all spark energy (or signal/switched/etc) I guess in the case of the internal small wiring, and some of that energy is finding a new place to travel at least partially
On spark plug ceramics it ruins the plug but metal it can be cleaned but the issue is poor contact and for a plug wire also a poor seal can cause

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Plug wires ‘look’ good but were on the truck when I bought it.

ticking sounds coming from the distributor though…

but are you think one or more is shorted at the distributor?
Either plug wires, or as stated above, the rotor is making contact with the cap. It could even be in the base of the distributor, any wires in there.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for your help.

I went ahead and replaced all the plug wires… still ticking.

I waited till almost dark in hopes of seeing an arc. Took the cover off of the coil to see if I might see anything. Sure enough it is arcing all over place across the coil posts. This is clearly the ticking sound.

The coil that was on it when I bought it, one of the wires was almost burned through, and the video is of the new coil, so clearly something is shorting.

Here is a video of it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/XUV_zwDVjxM?feature=share

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks everyone for your help.

I went ahead and replaced all the plug wires… still ticking.

I waited till almost dark in hopes of seeing an arc. Took the cover off of the coil to see if I might see anything. Sure enough it is arcing all over place across the coil posts. This is clearly the ticking sound.

The coil that was on it when I bought it, one of the wires was almost burned through, and the video is of the new coil, so clearly something is shorting.

Here is a video of it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/XUV_zwDVjxM?feature=share
I haven’t been inside a hei cap in a hot minute but I could go grab one of any 10 with coils inside but if I recall correct most have two wires integrated in the coil and the third is a ground that is usually bolted to the coil outer edge and then joins in the middle of the three blades in the connector

I would say if that is new all three of those , you have a defective assembly or your wires are causing so much resistance or insulation is broken or something because that is NOT Bueno

also, prettttty

Can we see the connection on the blades and the connector inside and see if the wiring run has any sharp kinks or breaks in the insulation helps to run a wipe of water and a towel to clean dirt off to see better

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I just ran it and it clearances itself.

That's funny.

Omg dude posted a KICKASS video!

:waytogo:

:cool:

Bro. Listen to me... Is this the OEM distributor you're throwin parts at? Consider an entire new unit with a new pickup and coil and a cap that fits good with fancy grounds and stuff.... It's not $100.
Take that **** you got and throw it away.

Last edited:

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I haven’t been inside a hei cap in a hot minute but I could go grab one of any 10 with coils inside but if I recall correct most have two wires integrated in the coil and the third is a ground that is usually bolted to the coil outer edge and then joins in the middle of the three blades in the connector

I would say if that is new all three of those , you have a defective assembly or your wires are causing so much resistance or insulation is broken or something because that is NOT Bueno

also, prettttty

Can we see the connection on the blades and the connector inside and see if the wiring run has any sharp kinks or breaks in the insulation helps to run a wipe of water and a towel to clean dirt off to see better

The original coil did not have a middle ground post connected to the coil outer edge.

The new coil indicated the middle ground post was for ‘early models’, so I did not install the middle ground post. Maybe that’s the problem???

Is that supposed to be installed in a ‘75?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
south456