Ticking/slapping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 77 k10 with a 400 in it and recently I have started to notice sorta of a ticking/slapping noise coming from the drivers side of the engine. I was doing some research and listening to youtube videos that kinda sounded like mine. I’m kinda worried it piston slap or one video was saying a spun bearing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cold or hot, under load or idle?

If you believe it is a lower end start for a minute or so then drain a cup or so of oil out. Should show metal.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Take the oil filter off, cut it open with tin snips. If something is wearing or banging around you will find the debris in the filter long before you find it in the oil.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cold or hot, under load or idle?

If you believe it is a lower end start for a minute or so then drain a cup or so of oil out. Should show metal.
I haven’t brought it up to temp yet and listened for it but Ik I can hear it right after starting

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Take the oil filter off, cut it open with tin snips. If something is wearing or banging around you will find the debris in the filter long before you find it in the oi
I’ll try that

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 77 k10 with a 400 in it and recently I have started to notice sorta of a ticking/slapping noise coming from the drivers side of the engine. I was doing some research and listening to youtube videos that kinda sounded like mine. I’m kinda worried it piston slap or one video was saying a spun bearing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Record the sound if you can and post it. The easiest way is to record video with your phone, upload it to youtube and link it to this thread. Otherwise all of us are only guessing. Piston pin, lifters, flat cam can all produce a sound that could be described as ticking.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Record the sound if you can and post it. The easiest way is to record video with your phone, upload it to youtube and link it to this thread. Otherwise all of us are only guessing. Piston pin, lifters, flat cam can all produce a sound that could be described as ticking.
I’ll post a link after school

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Take the oil filter off, cut it open with tin snips. If something is wearing or banging around you will find the debris in the filter long before you find it in the oil.
Agree oil filter should be checked. Most of my posts are take the easy fastest road first.

On my previous post, a lower end failure will result in microscopic specks of metal passing through the filter. Oil will have small particles similar to metal flake paint. If present, you know there is an issue.

To bolster my point, first oil change on a new motor use a stick, swirl the oil around in the drain pan. There will be suspended metal particles. They won't be present on subsequent changes. The particles are normal break in wear, metal the filter didn't stop. Those same very small particles will be present with an internal failure.

Not saying your suggestion isn't correct just there is an easier way.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry it took me a little longer to get taht video. I forgot I had a game and got home a little too late to post the video, but here’s the link.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry it took me a little longer to get taht video. I forgot I had a game and got home a little too late to post the video, but here’s the link.
I don’t think that last link works

Here’s new one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1