Talk me out of cutting my dash

Cut the dash?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Cut it! I did, I don't regret it. Use the Metra kit, do it right and it looks factory.

Then cut off your catalitic convertor, mufflers and run straight pipes. Buy an AR and vote for Trump.

You getting my point?
I have a real truck. Left the factory without converters.....

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Here's what I went with. It has Bluetooth for music and also for phone calls. You'll notice I have the mic above the heat control. I can hit the voice button, and use Google command to do pretty much anything. If you have an iPhone, it is siri ready.

If you're still stuck on using CD's, you're really missing out. With this, you can stream satellite radio from the app on your phone, or use any of the music streaming services. There's also a USB port right on the front, and you can just plug in a thumb drive with songs and play right from that.

This has all made the truck so much more usable and comfortable

You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Here's what I went with. It has Bluetooth for music and also for phone calls. You'll notice I have the mic above the heat control. I can hit the voice button, and use Google command to do pretty much anything. If you have an iPhone, it is siri ready.

If you're still stuck on using CD's, you're really missing out. With this, you can stream satellite radio from the app on your phone, or use any of the music streaming services. There's also a USB port right on the front, and you can just plug in a thumb drive with songs and play right from that.

I like that, and I like alpine stuff in general. But I still use cd because I still have 50-60 of them lol. My pioneer that I’m thinking about using has an auxiliary plug and a USB port on the front. I don’t use voice commands or blue tooth. But I could still plug my phone into the auxiliary plug and stream music. I like the way the red radio matches the red dash. What did you use to finish off the hole around the radio?

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like that, and I like alpine stuff in general. But I still use cd because I still have 50-60 of them lol. My pioneer that I’m thinking about using has an auxiliary plug and a USB port on the front. I don’t use voice commands or blue tooth. But I could still plug my phone into the auxiliary plug and stream music. I like the way the red radio matches the red dash.

50-60? Lol, I've got close to 5-6 Hundred!

It's those one hit wonders that make me second guess keeping them around. But they are so fun to wing out the side window at the signs at 60 mph.
Blame it on Columbia House. Remember the endless "buy 3 CDs, get 7 for free"? Cancel membership and repeat. Definitely a 90's thing.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
50-60? Lol, I've got close to 5-6 Hundred!

It's those one hit wonders that make me second guess keeping them around. But they are so fun to wing out the side window at the signs at 60 mph.
Blame it on Columbia House. Remember the endless "buy 3 CDs, get 7 for free"? Cancel membership and repeat. Definitely a 90's thing.
That was a 70s thing for me, with 8 tracks....

Reactions: WFO

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

next stop vintage air

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I like that, and I like alpine stuff in general. But I still use cd because I still have 50-60 of them lol. My pioneer that I’m thinking about using has an auxiliary plug and a USB port on the front. I don’t use voice commands or blue tooth. But I could still plug my phone into the auxiliary plug and stream music. I like the way the red radio matches the red dash. What did you use to finish off the hole around the radio?
The car audio place did it. It's black plastic that's about 1/4" thick, that they cut in the shape of the space behind the radio

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I put a Pioneer radio in my work truck that has all of those features, plus it has a CD player too. Just because you chose to listen to CD's, doesn't mean you have to miss out on technology:)

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
The radio has an option in settings, where you can pick from all sorts of colors. I even figured out after this picture, how to make all the buttons orange like the gauge needles, and the display red like the paint on my truck. Pretty cool stuff

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The radio has an option in settings, where you can pick from all sorts of colors. I even figured out after this picture, how to make all the buttons orange like the gauge needles, and the display red like the paint on my truck. Pretty cool stuff

That Pioneer unit has that feature too. I don't remember the model number off hand.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
I plan on cutting the dash in my K20, my Nova, and my Camaro. I will be installing a double din touch screen stereo in dash of my Nova in a week or two. If Im gonna cut it to increase comfort and ease of use, im gonna go all the way with a touch screen and all the features even if I don't use them. Maybe I will later or my son will want it when I give it to him in a few years.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
That Pioneer unit has that feature too. I don't remember the model number off hand.
Pioneer is my go to for aftermarket radios.
Can't go wrong with them. From entry level to high end.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I plan on cutting the dash in my K20, my Nova, and my Camaro. I will be installing a double din touch screen stereo in dash of my Nova in a week or two. If Im gonna cut it to increase comfort and ease of use, im gonna go all the way with a touch screen and all the features even if I don't use them. Maybe I will later or my son will want it when I give it to him in a few years.

Sorry OP for Hijack... What year Nova? I have a '63. Are you on stevesnovasite.com? We do a Nova get together/ BBQ every year in Surprise.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
Sorry OP for Hijack... What year Nova? I have a '63. Are you on stevesnovasite.com? We do a Nova get together/ BBQ every year in Surprise.

Yes I am. I have a 76 and Im novabella on that site. I actually bought my nova and joined the site just a couple days before the last meetup and I was planning on going. And then the morning of, my radiator sprang a leak lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr