Talk me out of cutting my dash

Cut the dash?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thinking hard about cutting my dash for a CD player. I have a couple laying around from various cars. So it wouldn’t cost me anything. And yes I still have and listen to cd. I never jumped on board wit the mp3 stuff. On top of that, the knob on my alpine broke a while back so now it looks bad. And I know that if I cut it right, I can bend the tabs back and it will be repairable later if I decide to do that. I’ll never sell the truck so I’m not concerned about loss of value. So tell me what you think and why.

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
i will take the alpine if the price is right. I can fix that knob and put it in the elco

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Being that it's a NON AC truck, you can easily put one in the center in the dash pad center strip where the OEM AC vent would be. I Think you do you have to trim part of the metal but if you even decide to go back, a new dash pad band covers it up and it's never seen.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
That's the first thing I do. I gotta have good tunes in my rides and cassette tapes or the analog radios suck.

So my vote is do it! Especially since you already have a CD deck.

And I too have a buncha CD's and mp3 CD's I ripped that have like 189 songs on each of them back from my Napster days. Lol

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
A: I'm sure if you do a little searching you can find replacement knobs.

2: There are a lot of alternatives. i.e. I plug a cassette adapter into my phone to play the music through the truck's stereo. I used to do it with a CD player on the Suburban too.

Keep in mind also, you may be able to fix the steel, but you're going to have a much tougher time with the dash bezel.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Being that it's a NON AC truck, you can easily put one in the center in the dash pad center strip where the OEM AC vent would be. I Think you do you have to trim part of the metal but if you even decide to go back, a new dash pad band covers it up and it's never seen.
Yea I’ve seen that idea talked about, and I would probably like it there better anyway. But I haven’t seen anyone do a write up, and as I visualize what the dash looks like behind that strip, I can’t quite see how it would mount or what you would do to finish the front and make it look nice.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im rockin the stock uncut 78 am fm single speaker! Do i miss my speakers and subs... sure but i wasnt gunna cut my dash. I prefer the analog tuner anyway so i can fine tune my station.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
A: I'm sure if you do a little searching you can find replacement knobs.

2: There are a lot of alternatives. i.e. I plug a cassette adapter into my phone to play the music through the truck's stereo. I used to do it with a CD player on the Suburban too.

Keep in mind also, you may be able to fix the steel, but you're going to have a much tougher time with the dash bezel.
Oh yea there are alternative methods I guess. I have a dual brand tape deck that has an auxiliary input but I hate having the cord strung out. I also really like how this one has a digital readout and presets. The other one does any have either, it’s very basic. I did an eBay search but the only two on there are listed for parts or repair. One is $55 and one is $120. That a lot for a knob lol. If I could find a replacement knob I would probably just keep this one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84