Symptoms of a bad mechanical fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I had a similar issue the other day but when it started to feel like it was stalling out I switched tanks and it would take off again. If I switched back to the original tank while cruising it would be ok for a while. After screwing around like that for a while I finally pulled over and looked at it. The filter was almost empty but then it would get a surge of fuel. It idled fine like that but didn't work under load. I have an electric pump and a hokey fuel routing and it was almost 100 out so I was thinking my problem was that the fuel was boiling off on it's way to the carb. I kind of ruled out the restricted line because when it cooled off it works as intended.

After I read this I don't know if you can get anything useful to help diagnose your problem but I'm not deleting. Never go backwards!!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Its messed up because today it ran the exact same way but the filter was full.... im confused other then thinking its spark...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Maybe there’s less to that hesitance to stay away from those filters than people think there is, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’ve heard of some people running plastic and glass filters for a very long time with no problems, but I’ve seen stories of people having them bust or leak out of the o rings on the glass ones and cause a fire. I cant speak from personal experience. All my filters have either lived in the carb or on the frame rail somewhere.

I was one that ran a glass one for years without problems. Now I am a metal canister and carb-filter guy.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I was one that ran a glass one for years without problems. No I am a metal canister and carb-filter guy.
I never had a glass one leak or cause fire but the fear of it i switched. Especially since ethanol eats rubber o-rings.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I ran a glass filter when I was younger. Then one cold morning, it started puking fuel everywhere. Haven't run one since. But I have run a bunch of those plastic filters without any failure. They are always mounted above the intake and in a way that doesn't cause them to vibrate.

The problem sounds like it could be fuel or spark. What do the plugs look like?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36