Symptoms of a bad mechanical fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So my 350 has been running odd lately, i recently took the eddy off to clean it hopin that was it but it was not. So at a slow cruise like 10 to 20 mph not excelerating it seem to kind of miss persay... its purring then blurp purr blurp purr. Would a weak (dying) mechanical fuel pump cause this? Today when i got home i sprayed ether all around the carb to find maybe an air leakage but none. While running i did notice the fuel filter damn near empty wich it never has been before. Anybodys input helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Would tee-ing in a fuel pressure gauge be out of the question?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
In that hose between the filter and the carb. You will need a Tee fitting and a few more clamps. Mechanical fuel pump probably only puts out about 5 psi so a 15-20 lb gauge should have you covered. If you can I'd set it up so you can see it while you're driving. Outside the cab obviously. If that's when the problem manifests itself that's when you want to be able to see if the pressure drops.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
In that hose between the filter and the carb. You will need a Tee fitting and a few more clamps. Mechanical fuel pump probably only puts out about 5 psi so a 15-20 lb gauge should have you covered. If you can I'd set it up so you can see it while you're driving. Outside the cab obviously. If that's when the problem manifests itself that's when you want to be able to see if the pressure drops.
It does it in gear idling at a stop also after ive driven a few miles

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Also what pressure is ideal for my eddy? Its a 650 cfm

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It does it in gear idling at a stop also after ive driven a few miles

If you can open the hood when it's happening then, naturally, you don't need to hang it out on the cowl.

I'd guess 4-5 psi is probably adequate for a carb. Usually if you get fuel starvation issues the pressure drops to near zero.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I've never used a filter like that, and many will tell you to discard it and run hard line so you don't burn your truck to the ground. But, I cannot make out what the word is inside the arrow, however, the arrow seems to be pointing the wrong way if it's supposed to "flow" towards the carb. It appears to be flowing the wrong way unless it's looping around.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I've never used a filter like that, and many will tell you to discard it and run hard line so you don't burn your truck to the ground. But, I cannot make out what the word is inside the arrow, however, the arrow seems to be pointing the wrong way if it's supposed to "flow" towards the carb. It appears to be flowing the wrong way unless it's looping around.
Ive always been told to use that kind of filter instead of a glass type because the o rings dry up, leak and start a fire.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You can pull the line and do a volume test. I’ve been told a mechanical pump should fill a 20 oz. Coke bottle in 8 seconds. I’m thinking metal canister filters and not glass or plastic. We’ve had a couple people on here with Delphi pumps that put out double what they’re supposed to, but if you’re just now having issues, that’s probably not to blame. Those mechanical pumps are pretty tough. I’ve seen them take a lot of sitting and still work fine.

Reactions: WFO

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You can pull the line and do a volume test. I’ve been told a mechanical pump should fill a 20 oz. Coke bottle in 8 seconds. I’m thinking metal canister filters and not glass or plastic. We’ve had a couple people on here with Delphi pumps that put out double what they’re supposed to, but if you’re just now having issues, that’s probably not to blame. Those mechanical pumps are pretty tough. I’ve seen them take a lot of sitting and still work fine.
The reason i use plastic over metal canister is so i can visually verify theres fuel there.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I get that. Maybe one day they’ll make them out of transparent aluminum, but until then, I’d stick to the metal ones for safety’s sake.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I get that. Maybe one day they’ll make them out of transparent aluminum, but until then, I’d stick to the metal ones for safety’s sake.
Honestly having both plastic and the glass tube ive never had any issue with either but id rather be able to see my fuel level.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Maybe there’s less to that hesitance to stay away from those filters than people think there is, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’ve heard of some people running plastic and glass filters for a very long time with no problems, but I’ve seen stories of people having them bust or leak out of the o rings on the glass ones and cause a fire. I cant speak from personal experience. All my filters have either lived in the carb or on the frame rail somewhere.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
It says to carb and its in the right direction

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad