Surging during warm-up then random misfire at idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Isn't a TBI supposed to have 14-17 PSI? You might be right and just a hair low on the fuel pressure. :shrug:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Isn't a TBI supposed to have 14-17 PSI? You might be right and just a hair low on the fuel pressure. :shrug:

According to the factory service manual its 9-13 psi with a pump dead head at 13-18 psi...... I have about 12-13 right now with the regulator cranked up.

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 116

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Thanks to HotrodPC for changing my thinking on the ignition timing! Went out and set it at eight degrees advance and feel like I am driving a different truck. I am pretty sure it masked whatever is causing the poopieness of the truck but Im happy with the way its running right now. It still has a very small almost unnoticable surge but it is not consistant. Will be checking for the warm up surge that comes and goes in the morning. Still going to need to figure it out to satisfy my own OCD but I can do more of that this fall when I cant work on body stuff. I am leaning towards a skewed reading from the map sensor but I need some time to diagnose since I don't have a spare to try. I would like to figure it out before I do the engine swap since it will effect what I do for aspiration. I am inclined to ditching the TBI if I can't figure it out.

pwlitt

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Had similar situation with my 87, EGR valve and EGR control module replacement. I did have an EGR code and a service engine soon light come on after vehicle warmed up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128