Steering Column Trim Ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm stumped so I'm turning to y'all for help. My 1977 K10 has (or at least is supposed to have) a rubber trim ring around the steering column that covers the gap between the metal column and the plastic dash bezel. The rubber ring is a one piece deal that completely encircles the steering column and just slides into place and relies on friction to keep it where it's supposed to be.

Mine is missing. Does anyone know what the proper name of that trim ring is, and more importantly, where I might be able to order one?

Thanks!

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I know exactly what part you're talking about, but have no idea what it's called. I might have an extra one in the basement, will look later today.

If not, have you tried searching through the diagrams in an LMC catalog? Despite not knowing the name should be visible in an exploded view, only thing shaped like that in the area

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I've looked through the exploded diagrams on LMC and the other usual suspects, including most every other one I could find on line and strangely none of them show the trim ring. It has to be installed with most of the steering column disassembled so I'd really like to get my hands on one while I've got it apart.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Most commonly called steering column Dust Ring.. You’ll probably have to get a salvage one

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it comes to salvage, I may be out of luck. I've inquired at a couple of places and they want to sell me the entire steering column, all or nothing. I understand, but I'm not willing to pay that much just to get the dust ring. At least right now. After I drive it a while and that gap bothers me more and more I might have to break down and go for it!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
I'm stumped so I'm turning to y'all for help. My 1977 K10 has (or at least is supposed to have) a rubber trim ring around the steering column that covers the gap between the metal column and the plastic dash bezel. The rubber ring is a one piece deal that completely encircles the steering column and just slides into place and relies on friction to keep it where it's supposed to be.

Mine is missing. Does anyone know what the proper name of that trim ring is, and more importantly, where I might be able to order one?

Thanks!

I have an 84 GMC High Sierra 3500 parts truck, complete cab & chassis, will check tomorrow.:cheers:

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey RecklessWOT and Paladin - Any luck in finding the "dust ring"? I'd pay dearly for one right about now!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey RecklessWOT and Paladin - Any luck in finding the "dust ring"? I'd pay dearly for one right about now!
I can offer up mine if its in my parts truck... cant guarantee I get it right away, because steering wheel has to come off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just found a pic... well.. I dont see one (at least obvious to me) but I could look in parts on floor

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
NEVERMIND. If someone can tell me how to remove gear shift without ruining column I can take it off and send it to you

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is a pressed in pin that goes through the housing and shift lever and holds the gearshift to the column. You can drive the pin out fairly easily using a hammer and punch. The pin has a head on the top so it only comes out one way. To remove it, you have to drive it out from the bottom side. Once the pin is out, the shift lever just pulls straight out of the column. In fact, once the pin is out they usually fall out on their own. Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
There is a pressed in pin that goes through the housing and shift lever and holds the gearshift to the column. You can drive the pin out fairly easily using a hammer and punch. The pin has a head on the top so it only comes out one way. To remove it, you have to drive it out from the bottom side. Once the pin is out, the shift lever just pulls straight out of the column. In fact, once the pin is out they usually fall out on their own. Thanks!
Well if you want the dust ring its yours. I suggest some rubber rejuvenation of some kind. Its old. PM me if you want to go that route, I will retrieve it tomorrow.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I might be going to the JY tomorrow. I’ll look around too.

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks eskimomann209. I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics