Speedo issues... replaced parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukhky17

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hi,

Looking for some help on my speed calibration project. Bought an 83' and have been getting it up and running. Speedo did not register anything when I bought it and knew the speedo cable was probably shot. Replaced the cable and bullet. Worked OK with limited bouncing to the needle and good pick up. However, the speed was not calibrated correctly.

Here is where it started going south. After ordering a few driven gears with teeth ranging from 18-22 to try and dial it in. I started to get violent bouncing from the needle, extremely inaccurate readings (slower than actual speed) and moments where the speedometer is dormant. Removed cable and put graphite lube throughout and checked cable-speedo with a drill and it seems to transfer revs OK .... Any thoughts on my next move?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m not an authority on the whole gearing thing, which shouldn’t be an issue unless you changed tire size, but it sounds like your speedo head needs to be rebuilt. You can calibrate the speedo by gently pulling the needle off with a fork or gold divot tool and pointing it slightly higher or lower on the gauge depending on which way it needs to go. The one in my car is doing the same damn thing. One day it made a bunch of crunchy, springing noises, and it started working horribly. It bounces like crazy, especially at low speeds, and it goes “click-click-click” whenever the bouncing is more pronounced. It’ll correct to a vibration at higher speed and make a softer ticking sound. I’m 99% sure that it got damaged from not lubing the cable at all or lubing it with literal ****. I replaced the cable, and it helped to keep me going, but I’m getting tired of all the noise and the inaccurate reading at lower speeds. I’m going to have to send a spare one that I have to be rebuilt professionally by Bob’s Speedometer. They’re the ones that seem to do the best work, but that workmanship comes at a price. Maybe it won’t be so bad for you since you only need one thing. My spare is in really bad shape.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Just use a GPS unit
Makes my life so much simpler.
Gearing and tire changes have no affect.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I was talking about speedometer gearing not rear end gearing. Should have clarified.

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What transmission and what color drive gear on input shaft?

ukhky17

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you for the feedback. It has a THM-350 and a blue drive gear. The speedo issue may make sense seeing how there is a LOUD clicking noise when in use.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Noisy speed head with a jumpy needle sounds like the speedometer is not all that it once was.

If the bullet shaped sleeve or the seals in said sleeve are worn the gear will not turn smoothly either. A worn drive gear will cause the same issues as well.

I assume you mean the gear on the transmission end of the speedo cable is blue... that's the "driven gear" using GM terminology. The "drive gear" is the big helical gear on the output shaft of the transmission.

As for which drive and driven gears to use on your rig... look at the speedometer gear charts in the 1979-1984 GM parts books volume 52A at the end of section 4.
You need your tire size and axle ratio. The THM 350 is RPO MV4...
http://gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=59803

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ukhky17

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hatzie, thanks for clearing that up and for your input. I have a spare speedo I bought for parts. I will start there and see if that helps. If not I try and tackle the worn drive gear.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I'd your haven't already, use an online speedo gear calculator. It'll let you rule out incorrect plastic gearing for speedo inaccuracy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave