1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soften the Ride!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by enrico, Nov 22, 2020.

1. enrico

enrico Junior Member

First Name:
    enrico
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Hi! new to the site.....was looking to see if anyone has experience with the sulastic shackles...apparently they make one for a Toyota Tundra that will fit the front of a K10 with some modifications.

I've replaced front and rear springs/shocks with standard 1/2 ton equipment, but I feel I need the truck to ride a little smoother to really enjoy this as my daily driver.

thanks all!

2. Grit dog

Grit dog Full Access Member

First Name:
    Todd
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Front Sulastics? That’s a novel idea that I have not considered. My front springs are new lift springs, pretty sure Rough Country because they’re rough for sure.

3. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Re-Re-Elect TRUMP 2024

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Shackles are cheap dude.
    Y U haz to modify?

4. enrico

enrico Junior Member

First Name:
    enrico
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    The guys at sulastic said mods would be necessary, as they do not make a shackle for the front of a k10... but one intended for a Toyota Tundra would fit with some modifications.... Thats as far as I got.... not gonna bother with mods unless someone tells me sulastic shackles definitely worth it

5. Bextreme04

Bextreme04 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    Looking at the picture of them, I'm not really sure how those would possibly work on the front. You have a solid mount at the front that it obviously wouldn't fit on, and the back shackle it would be replacing doesn't look like there would be enough room at the back to mount at. Not only is the upper mount halfway up the frame, but the frame dips down right there and already almost hits the spring eye with stock length shackles. If you want a smooth ride I'd suggest springing(see what I did there) for some softer tough country EZ-ride springs or the custom ORD's. Also, if you still have the factory sway bar mounts on the front, they could be binding up and causing part of your harsh ride.

bucket likes this.
  6. enrico

enrico Junior Member

First Name:
    enrico
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    gonna check the sway bar stuff... I don’t think softer springs are gonna do much better....I think it’s just the nature of leaf springs and solid front axle
    Thanks

7. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    Softer springs give a softer ride, no matter the spring type. Leaves, coils, torsion... softer is softer.

82sbshortbed likes this.
  8. 82sbshortbed

82sbshortbed Fuckemall!!

First Name:
    Doug
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    My road is ruff and sometimes I wish I'd not put in the BB springs when I put the BBC in and just went with softer springs. Even if it would sit lower in the front.

9. Bextreme04

Bextreme04 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    I'm not really sure you thought through this statement before you made it. 1/2 ton springs and 3/4 ton springs are identical except for spring rate. If you think a K20 and a K10 ride the same... you probably haven't ridden in a K20. Most lift springs out there have WAY higher spring rates and make the truck ride terrible. The rough country springs are notorious for this. The Tough Country EZ-Rides and the Skyjacker Softride springs have about half the spring rate of the rough country and similar high rate springs.

You could always just drop a Big block in there to soften up the front a bit too. :emotions33:

Rougher, older springs will also not let the leaves slide as well against each other and any other frozen or binding attachment points can also negatively affect the ride. Also one of the biggest factors can be good quality shocks. Not necessarily bilstein or Fox, but just good quality OEM type replacements will help the ride a bunch. The cheap as heck Gabriel or Monroe isn't really gonna cut it and will not ride very well.

10. Green79Scottsdale

Green79Scottsdale Full Access Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Do you still have rubber bushings in your shackles? I have heard that going to poly bushings makes the ride nicer due to actually letting your shackles and springs go through their proper motions, and not binding against the stock rubber components.

Bextreme04 likes this.
  11. enrico

enrico Junior Member

First Name:
    enrico
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    thanks guys for all the input...wish i had known about the Tough Country EZ-Rides ...i purchased my springs from general spring in NJ....like i said, standard 1/2 ton springs. i actually had 3 leaf in the front and 4+1 in the rear.....ended up with 2 leaves in the front and 3 + 1 in the rear....dont get me wrong, the ride improved quite a bit, but not to where i am comfortable using it every day. after about a week, i start to feel it in my lower back....i do alot of driving on shitty NY roads.

12. fast68chevy

fast68chevy I am the original fast68chevy

First Name:
    RANDY
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    more flexible springs wil soften ride definitey. more number of springs in a leaf pack will cause less flex and stiffen it and cause harder ride.. so you want the opposite if you want less hard ride.. that just how it works. and leaf springs and solid front axle is just inherintly gonna ride harder than anything else, its a truck not a car.. just saying.. but there are many different mods and custom shackles and many more other different parts and pieces etc. that can be swapped to to help soften the ride, even with the leaf packs style suspension,..,