Softer suspension with longer travel (not a prerunner, but that style)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logbed

Reaction score
First Name
Juha
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Fleetside Silverado
Engine Size
Hi,
I've got a 1985 C10 longbed that's rolling on 31x10.5x15 all terrain tires and GM original optional 8x15 "styled sport" wheels. It's got stock suspension which up front is ok but specially rear is bouncy and stiff. I do not carry heavy loads. I'm a big fan of prerunner trucks, those off-road 2WD beasts with 30 in suspension travel and crazy performance. However I have no need for such suspension but a little more supple ride would be nice and a bit wider track especially up front would give some "baja-rally" looks.

Performance-wise the front is ok but the rear suspension is bouncy and stiff. I've been thinking about new shocks and possibly removing one of the shorter leafs form the rear springs. I would not mind if the rear drops an inch but that is the max drop I'd take (as long as the front end stays stock height). Are there shackles that give more travel and supplenes at about the stock height? Are there longer arms for the front suspension without goint to full center mount, to get a couple of inches more track and suspension travel without breaking the bank? What other options would I have to improve the ride?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
How about a set of 1in. Wheel spacers. That would give you 2 in. wider track front and back.

Logbed

Reaction score
First Name
Juha
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Fleetside Silverado
Engine Size
How about a set of 1in. Wheel spacers. That would give you 2 in. wider track front and back.
Probably doing that since front suspension upgrade might be too costly and the rear suspension need be vastly improved to justify any upgrade in the front a arms.
Nevertheless I''m still interested in the options for a good front and back mid-travel suspension too. What I've come across for 2wd squarebodys so far is only full-on prerunner setups which mean reconstructing most of the frame up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod