Wheel not centered in. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
front wheel well compared to the other side. My friend said it is a squarebody thing where one side will not turn as far as the other, is this true? He said it has something to do with the 4wd steering linkage. The reason I ask is I put 33s on 89 K5 stock suspension and the passenger said makes contact with the rear of the fender opening before the driver's side after turning the opposite way.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Your friend is wrong, period.

They are not made that way and it has nothing to do with turning radius (the rear axle being slightly more narrow than the front is legitimately for turning radius). For only one side to be hitting something is off / wrong.

Take a tape measure and check the distance between the center of the front and back wheels then compare those measurements with each side. It’s possible for a leaf spring center pin to break allowing the axle to shift front or rear. Bad bushings in the springs or shackles can also affect the axle’s position but not much.

There is some slight adjustment in the body mounts so the body can be shifted around to get it positioned properly but this is only 1/4”-1/2”.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
One other thing that may happen is to get the "turnbuckle" on the steering far enough out of adjustment that the wheels actually do steer/turn further one way than the other. To check this simply get the front wheels pointing as directly forward as possible. At this point the steering wheel should be perfectly straight, if it isn't we are probably close to finding our problem. Turn the wheel to full lock one way counting the turns of the steering wheel. Bring the wheels back straight and then count the steering wheel turns to full lock the other way. If they don't match...you are close to finding and fixing your issue.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Actually, the tires should turn at different angles. Its called the "Ackerman Angle". It's also why you have a "differential" in the axles (note the correct spelling of the word axles). However, despite the difference in steering angle between the inside and outside tire they should be the same amount from side to side. If one side is turning more than the other side something is out of adjustment. So your friend is only half an idiot. It is a thing but, it's not a Squarebody thing.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Steering wheel should turn the same each way from center.

Another item to look at is a twisted pitman arm shaft in steering box. Have seen it several times. Only way to check it is to remove the pitman arm and visually inspect the splines.

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I don't see it being a steering issue as much as a centering-of-the-wheel issue. I think it is a leaf spring center pin because the leaf springs were replaced. But wouldn't it drive funny, because it drives great?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't see it being a steering issue as much as a centering-of-the-wheel issue. I think it is a leaf spring center pin because the leaf springs were replaced. But wouldn't it drive funny, because it drives great?
Turn the wheel from lock to lock and then center it at half the number of turns. Are the tires pointed straight ahead? Is the steering wheel centered? Measure from front to rear hub on both sides and compare.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think you’re talking about 2 different things. Not turning the same angle in both directions (it does and will turn the same if the steering linkages aren’t out of adjustment) is different than whether the axle is physically more fwd or aft on one side compared to the other.
For the latter I’d say within 1/2” or being the same is “good”.
Our 86, drives straight, looks symmetrical, etc, but one side gets closer to contacting the back of the fender than the other by idk, 1/4” or so. And the spring bushings are not old/sloppy.
Until I added another 1” of lift to the front, the passenger side would catch the fender when turning even very slowly and the drivers side would clear (by just a hair).
Also the squared off fenders don’t help, and the main reason imo that relocating the front axle forward a bit is a popular modification on squares for tire to fender clearance.
If your tire size, offset and lift are close to hitting, you just need to change one or more of the 3 things. IMO.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Got any pictures of the whole side on each side of the truck? Can you visually see the wheel isn't centered in the arch? If that's the case, it could be a few things. Center pin, worn bushings or the truck could've been wrecked in the past and that frame rail is messed up.

My old '85 K5 Blazer was the same way, stock suspension and 33s had made the pass tire hit the fender. It had already been done when I bought the truck so I never looked into why and didn't keep that truck very long. But 33" mud terrains definitely are a little big for stock suspension. My suggestion if everything checks out and there's no sure fire cause, I'd put 2" lift springs on it

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
front wheel well compared to the other side. My friend said it is a squarebody thing where one side will not turn as far as the other, is this true? He said it has something to do with the 4wd steering linkage. The reason I ask is I put 33s on 89 K5 stock suspension and the passenger said makes contact with the rear of the fender opening before the driver's side after turning the opposite way.
I'm sorry I think I worded it wrong when I said "will not turn as far as the other," I intended to say with contacting the rear of the fender on the right side compared to the left side. By saying what my friend said about squarebody's thru everyone off.
I'm sorry about my wording as I've had a serious motorcycle injury with multiple codings that I should not be here. This is partly why I want to but can't do a lift and then be able to get in my Jimmy. I used to do all my own work but now I can not. I also had my right arm amputated.
Here is a picture from when I bought it. But don't have a straight-on shot of the left side. Heres the best I've got of the left side, but I think you can see it in the picture.

Attachments

• 89jimmy6 (4).jpg
    89jimmy6 (4).jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 89jimmy15 (1).jpg
    89jimmy15 (1).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm sorry I think I worded it wrong when I said "will not turn as far as the other," I intended to say with contacting the rear of fender on the right side compared to the left side. By saying what my friend said about squarebody's thru everyone off.
I'm sorry about my wording as I've had a serious motorcycle injury with multiple codings that I should not be here. This is partly why I want to but can't do a lift and then be able to get in my Jimmy. I used to do all my own work but now I can not. I also had my right arm amputated.
Here is a picture from when I bought it. But don't have a straight-on shot of the left side. Heres the best I've got of left side, but Hi think you can see it in picture.
Like the pictures/your rig. Sorry to hear about the other issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag