Cargo and Dome not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
My dome light wasn't working. I took out the switches in the door frame and lightly sanded them, fixed up both sides and the light works great. Make sure you push the spring loaded contacts in and out in order to clean them up at the point of contact.
That makes sense, I'll definetly try that on the passenger side to see if it helps a bit. The drivers side seemed fine when I pulled it out, but the passengers is sticky.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Door switches are a common issue if the bulbs are good. Mine dome & cargo never worked when I got my truck neither, had to replace cab harness & mess with drivers door switch to get everything working.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My dome light wasn't working. I took out the switches in the door frame and lightly sanded them, fixed up both sides and the light works great. Make sure you push the spring loaded contacts in and out in order to clean them up at the point of contact.

If all you did was repair the door switches, then technically your dome light worked before too. All you had to do was rotate the headlight knob counterclockwise and the dome light would have come on. Obviously you wanted the door switches to work too and that's fine, I'm only bringing it up because I'm guessing there's a lot of people that don't realize there's the feature with the headlight knob.

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If all you did was repair the door switches, then technically your dome light worked before too. All you had to do was rotate the headlight knob counterclockwise and the dome light would have come on. Obviously you wanted the door switches to work too and that's fine, I'm only bringing it up because I'm guessing there's a lot of people that don't realize there's the feature with the headlight knob.
I know about turning the knob to turn on the dome light. I should've been more clear. The dome light didn't come on when the doors were opened, cleaning the switches fixed that.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Okay, after rolling around under the dash for a while, I am 90% sure it's the orange wires causing nothing to receive power, probably disconnected by the po for battery drain from the passenger switch. Problem is, I don't really know what order to plug then in at, so I've got a picture of how I discovered them. Thanks guys.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The one in your hand plugs into fuse box- ( plugs at blue arrow in pic of my other post). I can see where it meets the white wires and heads to dome light. The other two should plug together leaving one connector hanging by itself.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Okay, after rolling around under the dash for a while, I am 90% sure it's the orange wires causing nothing to receive power, probably disconnected by the po for battery drain from the passenger switch. Problem is, I don't really know what order to plug then in at, so I've got a picture of how I discovered them. Thanks guys.

One of them will plug into the fuse box, with a pigtail hanging off. The second wire will plug into that pigtail, leaving another (unused) pigtail.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I'll head out there and hook it up. I've got a lot to learn electrically wise, obviously.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I forgot to mention, it may be unplugged due to a short that pops a fuse. The same fuse also supplies the radio memory if you have a factory electronic tuned radio.

*edit* I'm a dummy, lol. Glass fuses means no electronic tuned radio. But it applies to the later trucks.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Okay so bad news. Hooked it up, fresh fuse, nothing. Even with the headlight switch on the dash. No clock, cargo, dome, or courtesy. Any other ideas?

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well that’s definitely the orange wire that goes to the dome light. See where it meets the white wires. That is where the dome white wire is spliced to the one from the door switch running to the courtesy light. If you have a volt meter I would check to see if orange wire has power. Without knowing if the courtesy lamp works - I would start checking the orange & white wire that runs along the floor by the door- like mentioned earlier- that is a real common area for the wires to go bad. A multimeter (they aren’t very expensive) would be very useful at this point to test grounds & voltage.

Side note- I would probably unplug it from fuse box until I figured out what was going on to be on the safe side- Not knowing why it was disconnected in the first place.

Last edited:

ashadow1

Reaction score
First Name
Shadow
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 77 C20 and mine was doing the same thing. It turned out to be the orange and white wire that run under the carpet. It took a few times checking it before finding the tiny cut in the wire.

Weasel74

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Cheyenne C-10
Engine Size
That makes sense, I'll definetly try that on the passenger side to see if it helps a bit. The drivers side seemed fine when I pulled it out, but the passengers is sticky.
That dome light wire does indeed go under the driver’s side kick plate. My dome light went out a few years ago and I traced it back to that location where the wire’s insulation had worn off. Fixed that wire and dome works fine.

romcjr

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would suspect door jam switches .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads