Rebuilding Front Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ByrdDog

Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
Trying to put together a list of parts to completely rebuild the front suspension of my C30. Was planning on new upper & lower control arms, springs, bearings, breaks, etc. I checked RockAuto, & there seems to be a standard and a HD suspension, each with different components. I'm assuming I have the HD, since I have a crew cab? How to verify for sure? Would also really like to upgrade the brakes, but haven't seen anything available for the HD suspensions other than stock replacements. Anyone know of an aftermarket kit to go to a dual-piston caliper?

JChevy87R10

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Fleetside
Engine Size
There's a lot of front end rebuild kits. POL, Ecklers, etc. Just gotta look and see what fits your application and what you're all looking for.

I bought mine from POL. The lower control arms are going to cost considerably more and are harder to find in comparison to the uppers.

How to verify? Measure. Standard is the 1" rotors. The hd is 1.25" rotors.

ByrdDog

Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
Also, my pickup uses the calipers that are secured with a block & spring clip, not slide pins.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Agree with previous, may need to measure rod diameters, BJ OD, compare appearance. Rock auto has good descriptions and usually measurements so correct parts can be narrowed down. Lower control arms should have a greaseable shaft not pressed in bushings. Other parts can be narrowed down that way as well.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe an unpopular opinion but a lot of the front end rebuild kits promoted on the web are cheap chinesium. I would be careful since a bad component might not be obvious until a few miles down the road and redo’s are costly.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe an unpopular opinion but a lot of the front end rebuild kits promoted on the web are cheap chinesium. I would be careful since a bad component might not be obvious until a few miles down the road and redo’s are costly.
Quality is night and day. Last couple front ends I rebuilt, used all Moog. Parts are almost double offshore but worth it. Did save quite a bit using Rock Auto.

Offshore suspensions parts generally are so bad I greased the part before installing. Sometimes the fitting wouldn't thread in, others wouldn't take any grease. Really aggravating wasting time replacing the defective part.

ByrdDog

Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
I found the Moog upper control arm assemblies on RockAuto, but had to go to Amazon to find the lowers. Is there any reason to doubt the authenticity of the Amazon parts? I know Moog quality has gone down in the past couple of years; any other manufacturer I should be looking at for good quality parts?

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I found the Moog upper control arm assemblies on RockAuto, but had to go to Amazon to find the lowers. Is there any reason to doubt the authenticity of the Amazon parts? I know Moog quality has gone down in the past couple of years; any other manufacturer I should be looking at for good quality parts?
LMC owns the rights to the lowers for now. I'd be VERY wary of anyone selling "new" units on any site but LMC.

ByrdDog

Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
Was able to find all Moog parts on RockAuto. Got everything torn out & new control arms installed. Will be fitting new springs & re-installing the spindles next. Fortunately, the bearings looked to still be in good shape (replacing them anyway, since I'd already ordered the parts), so no problems with reusing the spindles.

consti2tion

Reaction score
First Name
Cw
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
LMC owns the rights to the lowers for now. I'd be VERY wary of anyone selling "new" units on any site but LMC.
They own the rights to the lowers for C10's, but the C20 and C30 LCA's are abundantly made by multiple sources.

@ByrdDog how does the quality of the control arms seem? You know how reviews go so it would be nice to get a first hand enthusiast's opinion on them. Putting together the parts to rebuild the front on of my C20 burb. Can't decide on control arms or replacing balljoints myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod