Shortest height wheel/tire diameter for 14 bolt from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
To my understanding I don’t want to 1) overheat the bearings 2) potentially cavitation the fluid?

I have my axle tubes pretty much submerged but it can’t be 100% just because of the non extreme angle used to fill it

I am talking about my shaft less trailer btw

I was told to make sure to be careful on the height because of overheating when bsing with a friend on ideas, amd was wondering what I should make sure to not exceed. I plan to go big tall tire atm but the fact I’m not using the shafts to bring lubricants on to the bearings but instead just an oil bath I guess it would be.

For extreme example, I have a feeling a 2256016 tire would be rather short for the thing and would bring the case close to the ground? On pumpkin that is

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, I think you are worrying too much. Oil bath is fine, the lack of spinning shafts won't matter. I also wouldn't worry about ground clearance. It's just a trailer so you can easily drag the pumpkin over any obstacles there may be.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Eh, I think you are worrying too much. Oil bath is fine, the lack of spinning shafts won't matter. I also wouldn't worry about ground clearance. It's just a trailer so you can easily drag the pumpkin over any obstacles there may be.
I am mostly worried about ground hurting because the trailer is gonna squat a tire , as does most trailers. And if I put a p rated ir just a smaller tire, u don’t know how much the tire size looses from that. Like I’m talking I would like to put a tire on that barley holds it above ground. Technically I want to put them on a set iof rims and use them for a specific job on property and go a few miles snd then on my front axle of the frame without a rear axle. So I can move it easier. The job wouldn’t be a heavier than 500 pound so at worst a heavy garbage load, but I don’t want to hit pavement and just enoug to clear basic obstacles rolling frame whenever it needs.
I also have a small trailer with 8 lug hubs(my grandpa somehow did that, it may be a 14) despite being 6 feet long and not very big. But it’s in ground. I need to get it out at some point And just assuming at worst it’s 14 bolt then I would be big enough tire for that :)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Y

Yes. I have 33 or so now.
LOL, I think he meant 35 series tires.
Bottom line, it doesnt matter. But you could measure the height from bottom of diff to CL of axle and subtract that from the theoretical tire height you want to run.
With all the old rims and tires you have at AG's Pick-a-Part, I cannot imagine buying specific tires for a set of rollers and a dump run trailer that has been working fine on whatever tires it's on now for however long.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I rather not have the bulge and gash in the side wall result in a loss of control. FUll of garbage. Best case scenario, its a disgusting mess or skips a beat worst case im an environmental terrorist who went down a martyr

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
LOL, I think he meant 35 series tires.
Bottom line, it doesnt matter. But you could measure the height from bottom of diff to CL of axle and subtract that from the theoretical tire height you want to run.
With all the old rims and tires you have at AG's Pick-a-Part, I cannot imagine buying specific tires for a set of rollers and a dump run trailer that has been working fine on whatever tires it's on now for however long.
Do you know Rusty? Pretty sure he was talking 35" tires...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Definately talking about 35" tires. .. You're gonna need at least 8 inches of sidewall if you wanna be cool.. Dont slip on old boy's 35 series banana peels yo!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL