Seatbelt light remains on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Titans61

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Fixing up gauges and everything is working as they should but noticed my seat belt light stays on even without the keys in the ignition. The light will turn off after a few seconds when the keys are in the accessory position or if the truck is turned on as they should but without the keys it's always on and it's only that light. Any ideas what it could be? 87 GMC Thanks in advance!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Fixing up gauges and everything is working as they should but noticed my seat belt light stays on even without the keys in the ignition. The light will turn off after a few seconds when the keys are in the accessory position or if the truck is turned on as they should but without the keys it's always on and it's only that light. Any ideas what it could be? 87 GMC Thanks in advance!
.. always? Sounds like a weird power thing with ignition switch or some odd not-so-lucky short to power that somehow is not on in acc. i would look on your fuse panel, then crane and look behind your dash to see if any wiring looks out of place with a flashlight. see if any splices or professional twist and tape electrical jobs have been done. that only takes a few minutes.

Titans61

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I'll continue to look. I'm making it more of an issue than it needs to be but it's a journey haha. Another thing I didn't mention is that the light itself is extremely dim. So it stays on and it's dim until it goes out when the key is in and turned. The buzzer doesn't go off either. Haven't checked into that but could those two things be related?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You either have a short or something is bleeding power into the ground circuit.

Titans61

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Not very electrical savvy but I know what a short is! Thanks for the responses I'll look into it. From what I can see it's a yellow wire from the instrument wire cluster, so I'll see where that leads me

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'll continue to look. I'm making it more of an issue than it needs to be but it's a journey haha. Another thing I didn't mention is that the light itself is extremely dim. So it stays on and it's dim until it goes out when the key is in and turned. The buzzer doesn't go off either. Haven't checked into that but could those two things be related?
these arent LED, are they?

Titans61

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Actually they are..is that something to worry about? I replaced the printed board with a new one and while at it replaced the bulbs with LEDs. Everything works and lights up, maybe a little too well but I'll see after the cover is placed once this issue is resolved

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Actually they are..is that something to worry about? I replaced the printed board with a new one and while at it replaced the bulbs with LEDs. Everything works and lights up, maybe a little too well but I'll see after the cover is placed once this issue is resolved
You have phantom voltage making the LED illuminate. you need higher quality LED bulbs that dont light up on small miliamp currents in the circuits

Titans61

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I did buy some cheap-o Amazon LEDs. Wow phantom voltage..that's a new one for me haha thanks for the insight! Any particular LED bulb that constitutes higher quality? And would I be able to just replace that single bulb or would it have to be the entire dash?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I did buy some cheap-o Amazon LEDs. Wow phantom voltage..that's a new one for me haha thanks for the insight! Any particular LED bulb that constitutes higher quality? And would I be able to just replace that single bulb or would it have to be the entire dash?
if you dont have any issues elsewhere, and your dimming works to your satisfaction, I wouldnt bother but they maay turn out to be a few duds here or there.

If you just need a bulb or two, sylvania/phillips at your local walmart. pricey but good. if you want more, online there are good names. JDMxstar or whatever is mid-tier

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The way I see it, if you need a light to tell you you don't have on your seatbelt, you shouldn't be driving at all.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The way I see it, if you need a light to tell you you don't have on your seatbelt, you shouldn't be driving at all.
isnt the seatbelt warning light regardless of if you are clicked or not like i thought it was a timed event

Titans61

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Haha I admit I'm being super anal about it. Just like with the 4x4 light, I don't need it to know that I'm in it but when I fixed it along with some of the other dash lights I felt like I was on a roll and nothing could stop me. Thanks for the inputs. I did try it with the regular bulb and got nothing at all, which I thought was weird. Anyways, I'll just roll without it, honestly don't need it. But hey I learned something new about electricity

Last edited:

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Haha I admit I'm being super anal about it. Just like with the 4x4 light, I don't need it to know that I'm in it but when I fixed it along with some of the other dash lights I felt like I was on a roll and nothing could stop me. Thanks for the inputs. I did try it with the regular bulb and got nothing at all, which I thought was weird. Anyways, I'll just roll without it, honestly don't need it. But hey I learned something new about electricity
The 4wd light is the only bulb in the circuit with it's own power wire! Ask me how I know.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee