Running a power line to the rear of the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Would running 2 gauge off a relay or high amp switch be excessive? At most a winch of unknown quality or power demand would be run at once. I figured bigger cant be a bad thing for that purpose.
Likewise, running power to my front hydraulics Im going to increase the cable thickness and have it connected by hard wire rather than its current.... jumper cable clamp.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
2 AWG is going to handle it. 4 AWG may also do a good job.
I'd use welding cable.
It all depends on the total amp draw on what size would be best to use. Go 25% more than what your total draw would be.

Use RTV and heat shrink at your connections.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is welding cable special beyond being thick? What gauge?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Can you buy welding cable in lengths to 20 feet? (Im not sure how far it would take to go to rear from near the battery, a relay mounted somewhere.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You can buy it by the foot from this place, or other online sources. https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/welding-cable/

If you are going to run a cable that size for intermittent use (winch, etc.) I would also take a look at what you might use for a fuse or breaker at the battery end to protect the wiring. If you ever accidently grounded it somewhere along the frame you could have a lot of amperage flowing if its a direct connection to the battery and has no fuse or breaker.

Bruce

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Too bad you're not close. I have a 100ft spool of 4/0 welding cable. A bit much but it would be free, lol. Any welding supply house would have it. Airgas, Weldstar, etc. and you can get any length you want.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
May I also suggest marine battery cable. Oil and salt resistant. Also cover the wire in loom for additional protection. 2 awg will be more than enough which is what I would run.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Too bad you're not close. I have a 100ft spool of 4/0 welding cable. A bit much but it would be free, lol. Any welding supply house would have it. Airgas, Weldstar, etc. and you can get any length you want.
You also can buy it by spool or by the foot on Amazon and eBay. Not sure how price compares between welding supply stores or Amazon/eBay though.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Welding cable has more, thinner strands to make it more flexible. Unfortunately the jacket is not as oil resistant as battery cable. Marine cable is similar to regular battery cable in that it has more oil resistant insulation. In addition, the strands are all tinned to help with corrosion resistance. It's also a more expensive.

DC circuit capacity is determined by the total length of the circuit, so from the battery to the load and back to the battery. Then acceptable voltage drop. 3% or 10%. So let's say you need 20ft of 2ga cable to get to the plug at the bumper and another 20 ft to get back to the battery. Allowing a 3% drop in a 40 ft circuit you can carry 30 Amps. If 10% voltage drop is acceptable you can carry over 100 Amps.

There are formulas for this, but it's easier to use a table like this:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity

Circuit protection is a must as stated earlier. You can probably get by with a fuse if you go with such heavy wire since you'll have excess capacity, but circuit breakers are available too. Just more $$$. Also as stated earlier, proper terminals, properly crimped and sealed with adhesive-lined heat shrink will go a long way to keeping everything working as intended.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
May I also suggest marine battery cable. Oil and salt resistant. Also cover the wire in loom for additional protection. 2 awg will be more than enough which is what I would run.

Beat me to it. Welding cable insulation doesn’t hold up to grease and oil. Battery cable is more expensive, but the insulation is durable and will last.

If this power feed is for occasional use, I’d get a battery kill switch like for drag racing. You definitely don’t want a unfused power cable of that size running from the front to the rear. Mount the switch near the battery, flip the switch when you need to use the winch.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was thinking relay in engine bay and switch in cab, like my other switches.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
On all our field service trucks, we just buy good long jumper cables that are heavy gauge, then chop the clamps off the ends. It's a cost-effective way to get good strong power to the rear of the truck. While I'm sure that there are technical downsides to that method, we haven't found them yet. We run a breaker at the connection to the battery.

The trucks are used year-round and they haven't been affected by road salt, water, oil, fuel, etc.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you can find a remnant piece at your local electrical supply house or hardware store that has “SOOW” or “SJOOW” stamped in the jacket (in the gauge needed) that may be a cost effective solution as well.

Sometimes when my supply house is near the end of the spool they’ll cut you a good deal. I pick up the 6-10’ pieces of 14/3 and 12/3 for tool cords for nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner