Smoke from the a/c heater controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Thought I'd post a little write up on an issue I've been having for about a year now.

About 18mos ago we were on a long trip to and from Sacramento, towing the popup camper in the heat. Basically 5hrs each way, in 90+ temps, with the front and rear a/c running.

Wound up with melted wiring connectors at the front blower fan, and discovered that the ground wire for the blower was too small, and poorly connected.

Upgraded the ground for the blower with some 2 gage battery ground cable with an eyelet at each end. Upgraded the power wire from the blower relay on the side of the evaporator housing down to the blower with some 8ga.

Thought that would take care of it, but I guess the failure got the rotary control in the HVAC control unit so hot that it melted the rotary control guts.

What I wound up with was a slide control that would barely shut the compressor off in the "off" position, and held the compressor on in the "vent" position.

On top of that, at random, there'd be a melting electrical smell, and recently, even smoke coming out of the center vent area.

Finally got off my lazy a$$ and tore into the problem yesterday:

-Remove instrument panel surround.
-Remove the 4 hex-head screws that hold the HVAC controller to the dash.
-Pull controller out far enough to rotate bulb holder 1/4 turn and pull out the back.
-Pull controller further out of the dash to gain access to the 2 screws that mount the rotary control to the main HVAC control assembly.
-Lift the rotary control straight up and off the main assembly.
You must be registered for see images attach

Take apart the rotary control:
-Use a wide blade screwdriver to carefully pry the plastic "rivet/plug" out of the center of the rotary assembly. Just place the screwdriver under the round head of the rivet and pry, it'll let go and pop out.
-Lift off the rotary control housing cover:

Note the position of the 3 springs, and how they are clocked so you can put it back together in this position. This is the "off" position, and it's how you removed it, and how it'll go back into the main HVAC control assembly.

If you like electrical diagrams: power comes into the rotary switch via the right-most contact in my photo, and the curved distributes that power. That wire is solid brown. The connector to the left of that in the photo, is blank. The next connector to the left in the photo is what connects to the melted area, and that's a green wire. That green wire powers the a/c compressor by passing through the low pressure switch mounted to the receiver/dryer. The left-most connector in the photo takes 2 brown wires that have white stripes. These wires "arm" the blower speed switch, and turn on blower speed 1 as the default blower setting (low speed).

Note in the wiring diagram below that the green wire powers the a/c clutch directly, with no relay to carry the load of the compressor magnetic winding. It's no wonder the rotary switch gets hot. In fact, the compressor clutch failed not long after that big trip to Sacramento, so I guess now I'm starting to understand the entire picture.

Disassemble the rotary switch:
-Take the springs and the rotary contact plate off.

See where my plate was burned and where it was burning the plastic housing?

I ordered a good used HVAC controller on ebay for $20, but figured I would make an attempt at repairing this one. I cleaned all the grease up and dug the loose stuff out of the holes that had been melted into the plastic. Then I packed the holes with Epoxy Steel Putty:

Once cured, I sanded the putty repair areas flat, and trimmed the edges so they lined up with the actual edge of the brass contacts so that the off and on functions would be in the correct locations on the sliding lever.

With this repair complete, the HVAC controls were back functioning corrrectly again. However, there was still a question of why was it getting so hot. I took a look at my battery cable ground wire install and discovered that it was not very tight on the motor housing. I replaced the original screw with a much larger version and used a toothed washer for better grip.

So far, so good.

Here's a colored version of the GM wiring diagram that's been posted over in the library. Light green sends power from that middle burned up area of my switch, out to the a/c compressor, via the low pressure switch on the receiver/dryer. The light green leaves the receiver/dryer as dark green and goes to the compressor. From the compressor leaves a black ground wire.

I'm going to further investigate the ground wire at the compressor and probably wind up replacing it with something much larger. It think the existing ground wire is about 14ga. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for sharing. I am going to copy this into the heat/ac thread. These systems seem to have a high load on the electrical system. This switch you show and the speed selector switch seem to get a toll taken on them.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Thanks for doing that. Hope it helps others.

I remember my brother and one of his friends having blower ground wire issues with their K5 Blazers, so when problems first started, I went there first. Probably the damage was already done though.

EDIT:
Took it out on the freeway for about 30min and tried all the different settings, and combinations of fan speeds, and rear a/c speeds, etc. Everything worked flawlessly, so I think it's permanently fixed.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I hope so, good luck with it and report back any issues. Thanks again for taking the time to share these issues and your method of resolving them.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Very nice write up.

I had a similar failure on my '84 Caprice (original owner, 245K miles). The design of the rotary switch (probably the same one for corresponding year C/Ks) allows the transfer of the copper contact material to transfer to the vent position when switching off the compressor. After enough material transfers, you will start to notice the compressor running in the vent position. Shortly there after, if left in this condition, the light transfer of material will get hot and melt the brown plastic and smoke comes out of the control head (smelled awful, like a really bad cigar). This new current path for the compressor is too small to carry this kind of load with out a relay. This is what happens when you have the control head carrying the load of the compressor without a relay, though it is a very long term issue and well outside the designed service life.

An appropriately sized plastic door panel fastener (the miserable kind designed to only push in once but are a pain to pry out) make an excellent replacement for the center "rivet/plug" in the rotary switch. Work well for the vacuum rotary controller too.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
After seeing the wiring diagram, and discovering that the compressor is powered directly through the rotary switch, I'm going to install a Bosch relay to power the compressor.

The 'burb isn't a daily driver, it's our tower/hauler and people mover, so we're typically out on the road for hours a time, and usually with both a/c units running. The last thing I need is a/c issues and/or melting plastic smell and smoke coming from the dash. Especially when the wife is gone in it.

That'll be today's project.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Would think the blower fans are at blame for most of the load on the switches compared to the compressor clutch circuit???? :shrug:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
That's a good point, and I don't know the answer. The blower on the firewall has a relay, but I'm not sure about the rear w/o looking at the wiring diagram. Maybe the blower gets the brass disk (the disk that has the 3 springs pushing down on the 3 contact points) so hot that when the rotory control is placed into "vent" or "heat" modes, with the a/c power contact pin sitting out on the plastic housing, that pin just melts itself into the plastic. Could very well be. So in my situation, maybe my bad blower ground is the sole culprit.

Anyay, just finished the relay install for the compressor clutch:

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Interesting topic.

I agree that the blower would have a higher currect draw at times (A/C clutch is under 6 amps), IIRC, but high speed (fortunately) is not powered throught the control head (relay by the resistor pack). I think the contacts for the blower are better in the contol head as already mentioned. Another factor is some control heads never turn the fan off, so there is no wear and tear as the contacts are opened and closed (like my '78). The rest of the control heads only turn off the fan in the 'off' position (if they match the full size cars).

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Double post, sorry

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
That's how my control head is set up. The fan is off when the mode lever is in the "off" position, otherwise, the fan runs on low in all of the modes as its default speed.

Drove it around running errands this afternoon and ran the front and back blowers on high speed with no a/c, and then a/c on the low setting front and rear. No problems at all and it's blowing ice cold in a/c. Seems to be fixed.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Update: Just back from a camping trip where we were towing the pop-up camper about 11hrs round trip. No issues with the HVAC and the a/c was blowing so cold on max, with the front and rear units at their slowest fan speed settings that we had to blend in some heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus