Heater Blower intermittent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The heater fan in the wife's Burb ('89 V2500) has been acting up, and not in a simple way. Some days it's fine. Most days it won't run on any setting, but just when she first gets in the truck. It'll usually suddenly start working 5-10min down the road, or suddenly works just fine (on all fan settings) when she restarts the truck to come home. Once it's working, it doesn't stop working, or hasn't yet.

I need to dig out my multimeter and start really looking, but shotgunned some parts at it, since that seemed easier. I figured it wasn't a simple wiring issue, as it's intermittent nature and the fact that works fine once it starts working...... just didn't sound like it. Swapped the relay under the hood. No change. For giggles, stabbed in a new resistor in the condenser box. Nope. OK... pulled the switch out, and it looked fine (as did the plug), but swapped it anyways. NOPE.... still doesn't run.

I noticed the blower motor is a replacement. Has a NAPA tag on it. Maybe a bad motor, that once it finally gets moving it stays that way for a bit? Ground wire is in place, and at least secure. (I really gotta find my cheapo multimeter, or bring my Fluke home from work)

Anyone have any other pointers or places to look?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Check your fuse for corrosion.
Sounds like you're on the right track tho. Don't trust those connections.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd be suspicious of the brushes in the blower motor,just like an old starter you can hit with a hammer and get the brushes to connect, I'd try tapping on the blower motor when it's not working.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Swapped out the blower motor, and all seems to be well now. Lot more end play in the shaft of the old motor, though it didn't look that old at all. I guess you just can't get good Chinese parts these days? lol

Now onto the next headache and another thread. Dually conversion, apparently that IS happening. Happy wife, happy life, right? :emotions122:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Swapped out the blower motor, and all seems to be well now. Lot more end play in the shaft of the old motor, though it didn't look that old at all. I guess you just can't get good Chinese parts these days? lol

Now onto the next headache and another thread. Dually conversion, apparently that IS happening. Happy wife, happy life, right? :emotions122:
I thought it was happy wife suspicious husband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod