wiring path to rear of suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortarms

Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
Is there a clean, large-ish path to get battery cable (think 1/0) to the rear cab section? I'm thinking under the body, maybe along the rear ac lines? I was going to check it out but it got dark and I had other things to do tonight.

The rear AC switch cooked in my suburban. I've got a jumper wire to get me by for now. Long term plans in the rear of the cab include an amp and speakers, power inverter, couple of power ports and USB charge ports. I'm thinking this would be a good time to get high-amp power to the rear, wire in a 40A relay for the rear blower motor and just use the switch up front to trigger the relay instead of running all that power through the switch.

Anyway, is there a decent path to the rear? Good penetration points into the cab?

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Yes, follow the rear ac lines. I'm thinking about doing a similar setup in mine but have an aux battery where the spare tire was in the rear and have all kinds of power back there.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
However you do it, make sure you protect the cable with lots of insulation, and some kind of circuit protection. The current s 1/0 cable is capable of carrying will no doubt burn your truck to the ground if something bad happens.

shortarms

Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
Yes, follow the rear ac lines. I'm thinking about doing a similar setup in mine but have an aux battery where the spare tire was in the rear and have all kinds of power back there.
I like that, was thinking about that location today.
However you do it, make sure you protect the cable with lots of insulation, and some kind of circuit protection. The current s 1/0 cable is capable of carrying will no doubt burn your truck to the ground if something bad happens.
Oh yea, not my first rodeo. Circuit breaker right off the battery and a fuse block in the back to break out circuits.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I would prefer to run a cable like you're talking about in the passenger/cargo area. Less chance of damage to the cable inside-at least no rocks rattling around.
IMHO!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I ran mine along the top of the frame rail like factory did with the rear wiring harness. The factory runs the drivers side but i ran passenger side, since I don't have dual batteries yet. I came up behind the second row seat, through the floor, but I don't have a third row and my sub is right behind the second row. There is a factory "panel" for the rear a/c lines, that come through the floor.

A lot of cars came with trunk mount batteries, no reason you can't run long cables in a truck, just a little extra length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes