New power window relay how-to using negative trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
I've been meaning to do this for a long time and finally got around to it this weekend, thought I'd write up another how-to. Nothing wrong with the current ones, but more information is usually better so another won't hurt!

Looking at this and how the wiring is done (mine is a 79, I know there's probably some differences between years) I really wanted to just pull the entire power window harness and start fresh. Mine is in great shape for it's age and I thought somebody else might want to use it for a true resto but meh! Too much work and I could not find reasonably priced connectors/terminals/pigtails to replace the ones needed for the switches and motors.

I decided to use a ground to active the relays, so now I only have one hot wire to each door (for the windows anyway, the locks have theirs as well). That fat (12ga?) wiring they used will carry a ground just fine, and no positive running over the old switches is good IMO also.

Supplies I used:

4x 30a SPDT relays

4x relay sockets

Approx 1.5' 12ga wire (red)

Approx 1.5' 14ga wire (black)

Shrink tubing

2x 1/4" ring terminals (16-14ga wire size)

8x terminals for the relay sockets

Solder, soldering iron

Dielectric grease

Relay pin wiring:

30: Power in from cab, original wire (Pink?).

87: Power out to window motor, each relay will power one window, one direction.

86: Jumper wire, connected to pin 30 wire. Provides power for the relay itself.

85: Ground signal from window switch. This will activate the relay and apply power from pin 30 to pin 87 when the switch is pressed.

I bought a six pack of relays with sockets that clip together on Amazon for about $11 (online led store brand). I am always using relays and this was a decent price so I have two spares now. You can skip the sockets if you want and you can use butt splice connectors but I would not recommend it. My goal was the cleanest install, as few wire splices as possible, moisture resistant, and easy to see what the setup is doing by referencing factory wire colors/diagrams.

Both sides are pretty much the same. Drivers side switch has 5 wires, passenger has 3. One is always hot (when ign switched on) and the others run to the window motors, up and down. On my 79, the passenger switch motor wires run up in the dash where they have a connector that combines them with the drivers side switch wires, so that both switches will send a signal to the passenger side motor. That meant I did not have to mess with anything other than the few wires in the door itself. Double check how yours are configured to make sure you don’t mess anything up by doing what I did!

First thing first, disconnect the positive cable from the battery.

Prep your relay sockets. I removed all of the wires except the white one on pin 86. It’s small gauge and I use it to provide power from the truck coming from pin 30. Crimp, solder and heat shrink a piece of 12ga wire (say 6 inches or so) AND the jumper wire for pin 86 with a terminal, insert the terminal into the spot for pin 30 on the relay. The two wires together will be thick and may be difficult to get in to the crimp fitting. The solder and heat shrink will help keep it neat and together The sockets are done for now and will need two more wires added later.

Next pull your door panel. Decide where you want to mount your relays. You can go ahead and bolt one of them on. The second relay will be held in place by the clip together relay sockets if you’re using them. If not, bolt the other one on at this time. I think where I put mine is optimal when it comes to wire routing. This will ensure you can snip the motor wires and attach them to the relays without adding additional wire to them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Find the hot wire coming in, probably the big pink one. Snip this a few inches from the switch plug. See where the ground wire is bolted to the door. You’ll want to solder up a wire (I used black 14ga I had in my parts box) to the pink wire stub left on the switch connector that’s long enough to reach that ground point and apply shrink tubing to it. The other end of this wire gets a ring terminal. Using a terminal with the blue nylon sleeve I crimped it and then soldered, the heat from the soldering tends to shrink the sleeve so that it won’t go anywhere, although it’s also not really needed on a ground. Now attach the ring terminal to the ground point.

Next you’ll need to splice the power wire from the cab with the two 12ga wires you installed in the terminal sockets. This will provide power to each relay. I did not trim any from the factory wire but trimmed both of the relay wires down. Strip the insulation off the ends of all three wires and solder them together. Don’t forget to put your heat shrink on first!

Finally, take the pair of wires that run from the switch connector and decide where to cut it. You’ll need both ends of the pair to be able to reach your relays. Cut the wires and split and separate the pairs (a few inches will do) on each side. Strip off a bit and crimp on the relay socket terminals, finish with solder and heat shrink. Since these will live in the relay sockets they don’t really need heat shrink but the wires are a bit large for the common terminals. Adding heat shrink will make sure they’re solid and provide a little strain relief. You can go ahead and plug them in to your relay sockets. Each color is for one direction (up or down) and needs to be on the same relay. When the switch is pressed it will connect the ground from the ring terminal we just installed to pin 85 on the relay. This will power the relay, allowing power to flow from the pink hot wire coming from the cab in to the door which is now connected to 30 on the relay, to pin 87 on the relay, which will now be connected to the window motor.

I packed a small amount of dielectric grease in the relay socket terminals - the top side where the relay plugs in. This will keep them from rotting from moisture. You’ve now completed one door. Do the same on the other side and you’re done! Now we’re putting a lot less strain on the electrical system and those windows go up and down at a decent speed. There may be other improvements to be had by working further up the line so to speak, and I will look at that when I get around to doing my LS swap since there will be a lot of rewiring going on then.

I hope this helps someone and if you see any errors, omissions or room for improvement please say so. I’ll keep an offline copy of this doc and update the post as needed in the future (if possible).

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great write-up. I've always added pictures or links of the components to the write-up so people that are afraid of wiring/mechanical work can get a better idea if it is something they can do. It does add time to the task at hand but helpful to those that are willing to take the time to learn. Which IMO is getting close to a lost art since everyone gets a trophy for entering these days.

Again, great write-up and love the key points about not forgetting to add the heat shrink and di-electric grease.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Thank you for the feedback! I did think as I was posting I should include some other pictures (these are all I took as I worked) and links to the supplies is a great idea. It only let me add 5 pictures so I will come back with some updated stuff. I know I always appreciate folks posting how-to info so I thought it's about time I tried to help someone.

Six pack of relays:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVZ2MU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heat shrink:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R69KNB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ring terminals (you need two for this, I bought them at the local car parts shop, smaller pack for a few bucks less):
https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-...=1531838161&sr=8-9&keywords=ring+terminal+1/4

12 awg wire - I like Jegs brand but pretty much any will do, be careful with Chinese brands as they're often smaller than advertised:
https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Sil...8&qid=1531838263&sr=8-24&keywords=12+awg+wire

Relay socket terminals:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFEDLM...a67c-51efe9d7b631&ie=UTF8&qid=1531838364&sr=3

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sooo...have you actually worked the windows up and down with your current setup? Have you noticed a problem with it yet?

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Yes I have, works great. Probably better with an upgraded power source though, I'll probably replace the current feed with a 10 or 8 awg thru a grommet to replace the existing one when I re-wire for the new engine. Why do you ask?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wel the 77-81 motors are self grounding-no need for a ground to them...I thought I read you are running one hot and one ground to each motor. Typically its a NO circuit so one wire or the other gets power but theres no ground wire needed to go to the motors unless you added a case ground perhaps?

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Running ground from the switch to the relay, rather than power from the switch to the relay (to activate the relay) . The relay power is jumped to the main power in, and gets activated when we pass it a ground signal. The relay is passing power from the original wire to the motor (and to itself, via the jumper wire). I'm going to take more pics and add relay pin labels when I have a chance. There's no big benefit to doing it the way I did but I like that power doesn't flow through the switch at all anymore even if the signal to the relay would be low current.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok yes we are on the same page! I interpreted your description wrong. Those motors are hungry beasts too! I have measured as much as 13A! Whereas 1982-up motors are 7A or so.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The door shells are the same from 77 on IIRC.
Any reason not to use the more efficient 82 and later motor in the 77-81 doors? Kinda like updating the 6.2L diesel from the 27MT to 28MT starter that GM used on the later 6.5L.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Thank you gmachinz, I was wondering if there was something wrong with my approach. After all I am just an amateur!

hatzie, I like where you're going with this and I hope someone can confirm. I'm about to re-do all the door/window weatherstrip and seals anyway. My window motors are probably original and very tired, would not hurt to replace and upgrade them at the same time if this is an option.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Running ground from the switch to the relay, rather than power from the switch to the relay (to activate the relay) . The relay power is jumped to the main power in, and gets activated when we pass it a ground signal. The relay is passing power from the original wire to the motor (and to itself, via the jumper wire). I'm going to take more pics and add relay pin labels when I have a chance. There's no big benefit to doing it the way I did but I like that power doesn't flow through the switch at all anymore even if the signal to the relay would be low current.
Actually, you have made the center pin of the window switch ALWAYS HOT, until you give it a ground by activating the switch . It is conceivable that if you touched one of those window switches with a "dripping wet hand" , your hand could complete the circuit to ground (or just curl your hair). It was designed and built so that the 20/30 amp circuit is "HOT" only for short periods of time (less chance for shocking people/less corrosion inside the door ), and that is why they switch the "B+ side" .

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Sounds like you've misunderstood. The center pin of the switch is now connected to ground (instead of switched + as original) and the switches never see + on any pin the way they are wired now. If you go back and read my original post and still feel that it sounds like I've wired it the way you describe please let me know, I'm trying not to confuse anybody :)