Roller Rocker Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What would be a good set of roller rocker arms for a 350 with approx 425 hp, Ive looked at Comp Cam high energy and the Summit Racing brand rockers, I dont wont break the bank but I would like to have something that will work

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you go the roller rocker route, go all the way and get some with roller trunions. Chevy LS engines use roller trunions without roller tips, because GM knows roller tips don't do anything except wear a groove in the valve stem tip.

With a Comp High Energy cam, you don't have high spring pressure, so I'd say just about any name brand roller rocker would do. But personally I'd use some Crane Nitro Carb stamped steel rockers -- probably the best stamped rockers available, and known for their accurate ratios.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148-0207-crane-1-6-stamped-rockers/

The article mentions 1.6 rockers, but if all you need is 1.5, here you go: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-11801c-16

Self-aligning versions are also available.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If spending money on a new set of rockers, why not just spend a few bucks more and get full rollers? I know the Comp stamped rockers are better than stock, but that's not saying much.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I also looked at the Comp Cam ultra pro mag 1602, the problem Im having is the rollers I have now are too wide meaty and hitting the valve spring retainer, seems like alll the aluminum ones are too wide

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I also looked at the Comp Cam ultra pro mag 1602, the problem Im having is the rollers I have now are too wide meaty and hitting the valve spring retainer, seems like alll the aluminum ones are too wide

I must have have been thinking of another thread, because I thought you said you had a Comp HE cam, which would use 1.25" OD valve springs.:Insane: What is your spring OD?

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm not sure of the springs what exactly they are but they measures 1.4 compressed

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm not sure of the springs what exactly they are but they measures 1.4 compressed

A key dimension for rocker arm clearance is retainer diameter. It's been my experience that most roller rockers will clear the retainers used with 1.25" and 1.43" diameter springs. You probably have larger diameter springs. Either that or offset locks that raise the retainer on the valve stem (meaning the valve stem does not stick up very much above the retainer).

Looks like the Ultra Pro Magnums will work, even though it may not be necessary to spend that much. However, they certainly appear to be well made.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not wanting to spend that much neither but I think steel roller rocker arm will give the clearance and see where brands like PRW are almost as high

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not wanting to spend that much neither but I think steel roller rocker arm will give the clearance and see where brands like PRW are almost as high

What kind of rpm's do you normally turn? If you are not turning high rpm's, some steel roller rockers should be just fine. I have been following some on ebay that are in the $130-$170 range for a full set. Admittedly, they are NOT name brand, so everyone will tell you to stay away from them, but steel roller rockers start around $300 at Summit.

Here are a couple of links...
1.5 ratio... http://www.ebay.com/itm/181901023857?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1.6 ratio... http://www.ebay.com/itm/330546224619?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

There are a ton of these on ebay, just do a search for sbc roller rockers. The two links I posted were just ones I put on my watch list.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What kind of rpm's do you normally turn? If you are not turning high rpm's, some steel roller rockers should be just fine. I have been following some on ebay that are in the $130-$170 range for a full set. Admittedly, they are NOT name brand, so everyone will tell you to stay away from them, but steel roller rockers start around $300 at Summit.
Gotta wonder how good those rockers can be at that price. Many of us have seen Chinese tools snap in half, and poorly machined cylinder heads with high porosity castings. I'd sure hate to have a low cost trunion needle bearing fall apart. Save $150 and trash an engine!

If price is a consideration, then it's best to use a quality stamped steel rocker like The Crane Nitro-carb. And I doubt you or a dyno would notice the difference. :)

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I decided to go with Comp Cam ultra pro magnum steel rollers, probably sell Chevrolet rollers since only ran 30 minutes, Thanks guys for the advice

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gotta wonder how good those rockers can be at that price. Many of us have seen Chinese tools snap in half, and poorly machined cylinder heads with high porosity castings. I'd sure hate to have a low cost trunion needle bearing fall apart. Save $150 and trash an engine!

If price is a consideration, then it's best to use a quality stamped steel rocker like The Crane Nitro-carb. And I doubt you or a dyno would notice the difference. :)

I completely agree about price vs potential catastrophe. OP was looking for cheaper so offered those choices. Looks he went a goocd route in the end.

Reaction score
First Name
darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Other than loss of rocker ratio is the upgrade worth the 10hp?
425 horse pretty snappy to begin with.
Which heads do you have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns