Replacing Fuel Tank Straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any good methods to remove the tank strap rivets? My strap broke off when I pulled the tank mount off and I need to remove the remnants of the old strap before I can clean up the mount and paint it.

Also should the lower part of the tank mount be welded to the upper part like this?
You must be registered for see images

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
You could easily center punch and drill the rivets out, but I'm not sure the remaining piece of strap will come out without a fight.
If you have a welder, I'd grind off the welds, separate the two pieces, remove the old rivets and strap, then put it back together.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I don’t think that’s factory. I drill mine out when I replaced the straps. Here are photos of mine from different angles after drilling out the strap rivets.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Duplicate post

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
grind the heads off and punch them through. cut the welded piece off when I did mine and threw it away. All that I could see that it did was rust the main bracket out. Rusted to the point I had to cut it off and weld in a new piece as shown below. I used 5/16 carriage bolts pressed in the holes as studs to bolt on the new straps

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help!

spanky1205

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Do not forget to add the anti-squeak straps back in between the brackets and the tank. Look around online, you can buy the original material from different places or there are plenty of other materials people have had great luck using. I forgot to order anything when I did mine and ended up using old pieces of a 5" wide tie down strap that had been retired from use. It has worked great for the last year.

If it helps I started out with brackets just like the OP has and switched to what Frankenchevy has pictured. I pulled everything from a truck in the salvage yard. I also converted from a 16 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank at the same time. Everything bolted up just like it belonged there from the factory. I had to change the filler neck hose and vent tube that was it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich