Fuel Tank Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saig55

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Here’s how it started.. running off the passenger side tank.. switch to left side, nothing. I’m thinking it’s empty.
Grab a gas can and start to put gas in it. Leaking from the hose.. look under and no clamp on the hose at the top.
Put hose clamp on and put fuel in.. no leak, great!! But gas doesn’t want to go in very fast like it’s blocked. Get about a half gallon in it and the tank is leaking.. crawl under and there is a nice hole in the tank..
I’m just gonna buy a new tank and install it. Do I need to get a new sending unit also and new hose? Not sure… 16 gal tank.
I’m thinking the po was gonna replace the tank and just didn’t finish. There are no nuts in the studs holding the straps…

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
You don't have to get a new sending unit if yours is working, but I probably would. Replacing those is not fun, and you're going to have the tank down already anyway

saig55

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Yes that’s what I thought also..
Just ordered everything…
Thanks

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
For an ‘86 you probably need a 3 port sending unit (feed from pump, return to pump, and vent). Get the right one now so you can set the truck up correctly with a fuel return line (prevents vapor lock and other hot weather issues), and venting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli