Replacing Frame Rivets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Any of you guys have a magdrill? Man, talk about making drilling out frame holes easier.... Been keeping my eyes open for a used one(locally), but I haven't seen any around....

Nope, I just wish I had one.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Wow. That's some wild stuff there. I've never seen that type before. Spend, but if they last....
When you gotta cut a **** ton of holes it’s the only way to go. Cut is the operative word here, not drill.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
When you gotta cut a **** ton of holes it’s the only way to go. Cut is the operative word here, not drill.
So at what point going down in size, are you better off just using a drill bit? Is it possible to use them with a hand drill, or are you stuck with a press type drill?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So at what point going down in size, are you better off just using a drill bit? Is it possible to use them with a hand drill, or are you stuck with a press type drill?
The annular bits have 2 flats where the mount in the drill and are held in with set screws. If that’s what your asking. They don’t work in a normal drill chuck. The have a center pin to eject the slug once you get threw the work piece.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The annular bits have 2 flats where the mount in the drill and are held in with set screws. If that’s what your asking. They don’t work in a normal drill chuck. The have a center pin to eject the slug once you get threw the work piece.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks for the link! That camera lady was funny. Lol. The next video up had an old fart showing how to make an adapter, so you can chuck those up in a regular drill press. It almost looked like he turned it on a brake lathe. At least I'm pretty sure it could be done. It won't automatically eject the core, but that's not a big deal. I can't tell you how many 5/8 and 3/4" holes I've drilled over the years, by stepping up regular style bits. Geeze.... These look REALLY cool. I took a peek around, and they've got the evo28 for like 400 bucks new. Not bad for a magdrill. I wonder how strong the magnet is though.... Anyways, thanks for the info!

I can't believe these have been around since the 80's.... o_O

Last edited:

Tom31w

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I was just recently told (by the guy that owns thr local wrecking yard) that you can get frame bolts from a body shop. They are slightly bigger to fit snugly in the frame holes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
why didn't GM drill a hole in areas like the bottom of the shackle mount and other similarly poor draining areas? it's shaped like a shallow saucer and holds water... there are a few places on the frame and crossmember where it'd seem to benefit from a 1/4" weep hole.

2 reasons, and neither are the nefarious illuminati planned obsolescence nonsense.

1. They didn't have access to high powered simulations, sensors, and various data gathering and simulating softwares and hardwares I do. I can see what will happen a million years from now lol.

2. Any hole that can let stuff out, can let stuff in, and become plugged. Jeep guy's put holes, then plug them, so it can be part of their service, pull the plug, hose it out, oil it, and plug it back up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was just recently told (by the guy that owns thr local wrecking yard) that you can get frame bolts from a body shop. They are slightly bigger to fit snugly in the frame holes.

I've not heard of this. Unless they were just thinking of bolts with shoulders about a 1/4 inch or so long.

Or metric bolts. Like 10mm.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Everything is looking really clean down there. The only spot I can’t really see is behind the rear shackle mount. But based on what is visible inside the frame where the shackle mounts up and the outside of the shackle mount, I’m just going to sandblast back there for now. I’ll shoot some paint and sealer down there.

I think I’m going to get ORDs shackle flip kit in the future.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Everything is looking really clean down there. The only spot I can’t really see is behind the rear shackle mount. But based on what is visible inside the frame where the shackle mounts up and the outside of the shackle mount, I’m just going to sandblast back there for now. I’ll shoot some paint and sealer down there.

I think I’m going to get ORDs shackle flip kit in the future.
Don’t forget to get the easy inch to recenter the axle. I have Superlift. They are reversible for 56” spring, but I’m sure others are too.

Tom31w

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I've not heard of this. Unless they were just thinking of bolts with shoulders about a 1/4 inch or so long.

Me neither. I haave yet to stop by the body shop to inquire about them.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

A body shop is going to source their boltsvfrom the same bolt suppliers that everyone else uses. I'm trying to find a link to a bolt supplier one of the guys I work with has used before. They're website was set up with all the specs of everything in their catalog. I may have to get it on Monday .

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A body shop is going to source their boltsvfrom the same bolt suppliers that everyone else uses. I'm trying to find a link to a bolt supplier one of the guys I work with has used before. They're website was set up with all the specs of everything in their catalog. I may have to get it on Monday .

Yeah, that's why I said I've not heard of them, lol. I worked in a body shop. We did not have any special frame bolts, neither did any of our 3 normal suppliers. And two of them were big time suppliers. I don't care how thick a catalog is, I like to look through the whole thing. If I missed these bolts, I don't know how.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Maybe I am off base here, but bolts(or better studs with heavy duty nuts) is what they use in industry. Use a graphite on the side you may want to remove the nut at a later date. The graphite grease allows you to get a tighter fit.
We used these on high temp areas, salt water areas, even on piping that had a lot of flex and shaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30