Replacing Frame Rivets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Honky Kong jr , @Dougnsalem

what is this green stuff? I want some. would you guys use fine or coarse thread 7/16 grade 8? which holds torque better?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
which formula?

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
A guy was telling me they have some thats crazy expensive and they use it to hold the die to a press?

Edit. Ive never used green have seen it . Had to look it up you really do put it on when assembled and it seeps in the threads
Ummm I’ve own a Harley Davidson with a Shovel Head..... I’ve used the green extensively lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Honky Kong jr , @Dougnsalem

what is this green stuff? I want some. would you guys use fine or coarse thread 7/16 grade 8? which holds torque better?
I've heard the fine threads are stronger and less prone to backing off. I've found that they do gall much easier, and I HATE that. So, ages ago, I went to using coarse. I'll defer to Honkey on the thread lock. I've never used the green, and for what we're talking about, I may just hit the bolt with a little WD to prevent galling.... I've never found a need to use loctite when using a non-nylock locking nut. Like Honkey said- the big boy stuff.... Lol

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

For what you'll be doing corse thread will be sufficient. 7/16 is tricky enough to find locally, no need to compound that by trying to get fine thread too.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
For what you'll be doing corse thread will be sufficient. 7/16 is tricky enough to find locally, no need to compound that by trying to get fine thread too.

I was going to order them from the place that was linked earlier boltdepot.com they seem pretty cheap

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I know everyone says to drill the holes and use 7/16, but I've never had anything come loose using 3/8 bolts. But it's Ohio after all. A couple months of road salt and those holes swell right up.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Any of you guys have a magdrill? Man, talk about making drilling out frame holes easier.... Been keeping my eyes open for a used one(locally), but I haven't seen any around....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Forum statistics

Threads