Rear wheels are sucked in way more than front. K10. Adapters? BAD IDEA? pics inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Okay, the width difference is 3.1". You need 1.5" spacers.

You must be registered for see images attach
OMG that was my first guess, and I was going to start with that. Awesome. Thanks :cheers:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So are we only talking about 2 wd trucks?
@bucket . And if the 4wd is not "goofy" are we only talking about the k10?
I don't see it on my k20 with 1 tons. I need to know so I can decide if I'm gonna lay awake all night thinking about it.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Can't use a wider wheel on the rear to make up for the difference?

Wheel spacers freak me out

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Wasn't the reason the GMT400 moved the fuel tanks inside the rails because of the BS lawsuit the kids parent's hit GM with because their son got t-boned at 55 mph & his Squarebody truck exploded??
Nope.

The change was made years before the lawsuit(s).

Be reminded it takes 3-4 years for a minor redo; 8-10 years for a major architectural redesign.

K

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I was told by a guy that it has to do with track with. The front tires cut one track, and the rear being narrower than the front it tracks in a different path giving a better traction path.

As long as you get a good quality spacer (not the cheap ones from ePay) it will be fine. If you don't plan on doing any hard core 4x4ing.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I was told by a guy that it has to do with track with. The front tires cut one track, and the rear being narrower than the front it tracks in a different path giving a better traction path.

As long as you get a good quality spacer (not the cheap ones from ePay) it will be fine. If you don't plan on doing any hard core 4x4ing.
I've heard that too.

K

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here is my 2 personal experiences...

First, on my K5 Blazer that had D60/14BFF combo, I found that I couldn't fit it between the wheelwells of a lot of trailers, unless I backed it on.

My kids both went through Cub Scouts and one of the big events is Pinewood Derby. I noticed early on, one kid's cars were always fastest as they ran true down the track. I tt his grandfather who was a retired engineer. Don't remember what kind though. He told me to make one end just a little bit narrower than the other by about a blades thickness on each side. For the next 7-8 years my boys typically won 1st place.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Wheel spacers,wheel adapters are 1 more part that can fail. And just because you buy the best ones doesn't mean they can't fail. They can work their way loose,have a manufacturing flaw,etc. They aren't legal in some states. The only problems I have personally seen is the studs that hold the adapter to the wheel, spinning in the adapter. I've hit a curb sliding sideways running adapters,bent the wheel,bent the control arm,wheel adapter appeared fine. Are they safe or did I get lucky,or a little if both IDK. I do know that in one of my GM training classes,one if the instructors basically told us anything not added is one less part that can fail. He also told us not to get a Cadillac with the first year option of anything. The Cadillac gets the cool toys first ,to keep the high end clientele happy. Cadillac owners will be pissed if their neighbors get electric ball scratchers in the Chevrolet before they were available in the Cadillac. But the first year is when they discover all the problems they hadn't thought of yet.

Last edited:

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I never thought they came from the factory this way, I have been staring at my truck for years thinking I had a diamond'd frame or something, in my opinion it looks gawd awful, I am going to get some spacers and fix this!!! THANKS GUYS for the info to help me solve my biggest gripe with my truck

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I never thought they came from the factory this way, I have been staring at my truck for years thinking I had a diamond'd frame or something, in my opinion it looks gawd awful, I am going to get some spacers and fix this!!! THANKS GUYS for the info to help me solve my biggest gripe with my truck
Glad to see I'm not the only one that does not like this look. Now on the k20, it's barely noticeable because of the big tires. But still noticeable. I plan to keep smaller tires on the k10, So I want the wheelbase to look normal :favorites13:

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I know a guy who is running spacers on his '92 1500 because he's running a set of S-10 wheels. They initially came loose & f-ed up his ORIGINAL lug studs and he had to fix a few. Do what you want, everyone is advising you not to run spacers but you're wanting to do it anyway. Why'd you even ask? You can give a monkey a banana, but you can't make him eat...

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I know a guy who is running spacers on his '92 1500 because he's running a set of S-10 wheels. They initially came loose & f-ed up his ORIGINAL lug studs and he had to fix a few. Do what you want, everyone is advising you not to run spacers but you're wanting to do it anyway. Why'd you even ask? You can give a monkey a banana, but you can't make him eat...

why did you even reply? who cares what I choose to do with MY truck?
I would say your last statement more accuratley applies to your buddy than anyone here.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
why did you even reply? who cares what I choose to do with MY truck?
I would say your last statement more accuratley applies to your buddy than anyone here.
Not directed at anyone just some advice torque the adapters drive the truck,remove the wheels,retorque the adapters,drive the truck retorque the adapters,drive the truck. Don't loctite anything,the bolts aren't just backing off the adapter has moved,expanded,contracted changing the torque setting and it needs to be snugged back up. Otherwise loose adapters are just floating on glued in place studs.It's a maintaince item.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I would never use an adapter on anything, but a spacer I would, longer wheel stud and probably an aluminum spacer, I think adapting to a different lug pattern is pretty stupid, but I dont really see where installing a spacer as long as wheel studs are long enough to get full engagememt of the lug nut is such a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man