quad shock brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The shock that uses the optional frame bracket is a longer shock than the one in the standard position.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seems to me the fact they are NOT running parallel to each other would be the major contributor to broken lower mounts, rather than the fact there are two of them.

hirschdale, when you run yours are they set up parallel, or skewed like the factory set-up?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have had them both ways , on my old 78 I had the trailmaster side by side upper mount , stock lower , (dont know if they make that mount anymore) and I dont recall bending the lower mount with that set up.

On my 77 crew I have the factory dual shock mount (staggered) with the stock lower mount. I though I had my custom mounts on my crew but I do not , (I am getting old and losing my mind). My boy said I broke that front end in my 77 step side jumpiing it quite a few years back .

Anyway , I have had three trucks with the factory dual setup and have bent the lower on all three off roading. I will not be putting the custom lowers on my crew because the dauls are just for looks and it really never goes off road , did'nt build it for that.

Its really easy to make the lowers though , just get a piece of channel that fits the shock bushing width and cut it about 5 to 6 inches long , gig it up at the stock location and angle it right with the shocks mounted at the upper , then tack it. Then cut some 1/4" steel triangle's for each side of the channel , weld it all up , good to go forever.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What if you just weld on a third piece of metal to the axle on the outside of the second shock(closest to the diff)so it has its own mount on the outside and they both share the center piece

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Seems to me the fact they are NOT running parallel to each other would be the major contributor to broken lower mounts

Why would that matter? Having one that is more upright doesn't make the tilted shock try to move in another direction. They are both free to do their own thing. But the one mounted more upright is more effective at damping, so that might have something to do with overwhelming the lower mount.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Just letting you guys know I have ran a lot of dual shock setups on my square's and if you are lifted and wheel off road a lot I have destroy'ed all of the lower shock mount's when running duals. If you are mostly on the street and light off road you will be fine , (just giving you the heads up).

I always use channel , (the same width of the skock bushing) and weld that to the housing in the stock location and gusset it on both sides , then you bolt the shocks in line of each other , never a twisted or broke mount again.

I will try and snap a pic if you guy's are interested and its not hard to do if you can weld.

Definetly would like to see what you've done

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'd like to see it still too. I finally got my lift in today so ill be needing some shock mounts pretty soon lol.

I put lift springs in front and blocks in the rear and when I got done, I found out that the burb has the "cali lean" haha granted I don't have my motor in, but its only a small block it wont make the new springs settle in as far as it needs to go so the burb is level. I think my rear springs are sagged out:whymewhyme: I hope the motor sags the front end down enough to where it looks somewhat acceptable until I can get rear lift springs..

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I thought I would post here instead of making a new thread. I’m getting a factory dual shock setup off a parts truck, and I need to know how to go about ordering shocks. What valving do I need ? I’m assuming the shakil valving is different for quad shock vs dual shocks.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Depends what you're buying. Delco makes completely different shocks for quads. Monroe just adds a second shock to the stock single. If you're going for something more sophisticated you'd have to look at the manufacturers recommendations.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not sure if I followed procedure but I just made sure the shocks were long enough.
I have a 3 inch lift on my k5. Basically I used this for the standard shock and made sure the second shock could handle a 4 inch lift.

I used skyjacker black max all the way around even the steering stabilizer.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
for the shock length you must take into consideration total drop as well as total compression. both numbers are equally important. highdesertranger

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
for the shock length you must take into consideration total drop as well as total compression. both numbers are equally important. highdesertranger

That is 100% true. I ordered the recommended set for the lift on my old Suburban, and they unbeknownst to me pretty much became the limiter of droop. I drove home with a shock in two pieces one day. Lol

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
According to Gabriel's site, the "short" shock has 6.86" of travel. The "long" one has 7.86". The shocks I bought have 10" of travel. This should more than cover the needs of the suspension.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
According to Gabriel's site, the "short" shock has 6.86" of travel. The "long" one has 7.86". The shocks I bought have 10" of travel. This should more than cover the needs of the suspension.

Up travel is just as important as droop. Order shocks too long and you could bottom them out on a speed bump.

For your next set I would measure both up travel and droop.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Factory off my 87